Splash Mountain Jumping Water

peter11435

helliker said:
I don't think the jumping fish was working our entire trip. I think that is the only thing that wasn't fixed by our last day.

Is the waterfall before the Zip-A-Dee-Do-Da scene gone forever? It has been off my last 2 trips.
The waterfall was on at the end of July.

PeeplMoovr

Original Poster
helliker said:
I don't think the jumping fish was working our entire trip. I think that is the only thing that wasn't fixed by our last day.

Is the waterfall before the Zip-A-Dee-Do-Da scene gone forever? It has been off my last 2 trips.

The last waterfall is also an "on again off again" thing. But when it does work it doesn't seem to work with the same intensity it used to. That used to be a soaker. Now when it works it's more of a trickle.

And the water cannon just before you head into the Mill and up the hill has become much more powerful in the last several weeks. Now that is a soaker where it used to be just a drizzle.

I would really love to go on this ride when every single thing is working. I haven't seen it that way in a long, long time.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
GaryT977 said:
...Is it being nit-picky to complain about it?

I don`t think so; Disney is world reknown for holding itself to it`s own higher standard - as small things as they may be, they cost tens of thousands to develop and play a small part in a much larger picture - this is what a classic Disney attraction is all about.

Splash really needs a higher maintainence budget judging by similar posts over the past few years.

donald23

YAY! I'm so happy they're working. I havn't seen them in years. I guess it's only us Disney Freaks that complain when we don't see little fountains spitting water over our heads. LOL:p

Buried20KLeague

marni1971 said:
I don`t think so; Disney is world reknown for holding itself to it`s own higher standard - as small things as they may be, they cost tens of thousands to develop and play a small part in a much larger picture - this is what a classic Disney attraction is all about.

Splash really needs a higher maintainence budget judging by similar posts over the past few years.

We were there last week and SM's condition was HORRIBLE. Absolutly horrible. None of the lillypad frogs were working, audio OR motion... The hopping rabbit wasn't working (obviously), there was TONS of audio missing all OVER the place, entire verses that told the stories were missing... The fish didn't jump... Hardly anything worked in the laughing place... Then even on the way up the hill the audio was messed up. Brer Wolf always says "looks like I'm gonna have to..." followed by a few different options... Roast ya, Skin ya, etc... His line would come out, but then Brer Rabbit would answer with the wrong line. He'd say "looks like I'm gonna have to ROAST ya", and brer rabbit would answer "SKIN me if you like, but..."

Then you have the waterfall that doesn't work after the drop... Then in the riverboat scene the cloud projections on the wall were stuck on the hidden mickey projection... The clouds weren't moving. They didn't even look like clouds, actually. Just this white mickey on the wall.

And don't think that I'm the guy that's there every week riding it to see what condition it's in. I take my family to WDW once a year for a week. Last year I commented on how great a shape it was in... This year I couldn't believe how far it had fallen. I honestly felt like with the shape it was in it should have just been closed. Even my kids kept asking why none of the animals were moving or talking like they used to.

In my opinion, SM needs more attention quickly than eith PotC or HM... I know people on here won't agree... But at least the others are mostly functional. Story elements were missing entirely, and overall there was more "bad show" than I knew what to do with. Probably 20 AA's COMPLETELY non-functional?? I didn't experience any problems during the week at PotC, and just some slight audio issues in HM. SM needs some work. Badly.

I actually filed a complaint at City Hall, which never in my life did I think I would do.

95% of the time, Disney gets it right, dead on the nose. WONDERFUL family experiences. But I was really let down on this last trip.

disnyfan89

I went two weekends in September and everything and I mean EVERYTHING! Was on and working. Even the projection of Brier Fox on the LIFT HILL!!!!!! I mean WOW!

PeeplMoovr

Original Poster
Buried20KLeague said:
In my opinion, SM needs more attention quickly than eith PotC or HM...SM needs some work. Badly.

I actually filed a complaint at City Hall, which never in my life did I think I would do.

95% of the time, Disney gets it right, dead on the nose. WONDERFUL family experiences. But I was really let down on this last trip.

I can understand. I am one of those people that gets to the parks a lot (I think wife and I went to parks some part of 28 days this year already), and whether SM will be working properly has become a running joke. We often find ourselves saying "I wonder if _____ will be working this time". It's sad that it has come down to that. I consider SM one of the biggest and best rides in all of WDW and I know I'm not alone. I still don't understand why so many of its parts are so often not working. And I do agree that it needs work before Pirates and Haunted Mansion. HM audio is screwed up, but SM has bigger problems than that. I'm blind to any problems in Pirates - I like it just how it is, really. I'm lucky enough to ride SM enough that I can get bits and pieces of working stuff from time to time, but if it was my once-a-year trip and things didn't work at all, I would be as upset as you. On a ride like SM, guests deserve better. Heck, on any ride they deserve better. I've probably been on that ride over 60 times this year, and can't remember even one ride where everything was working.

Maybe we should all start dropping in on city hall and giving them some friendly advice about Splash Mountain. :brick: A great ride like this should be experienced at its best.

Buried20KLeague

PeeplMoovr said:
I can understand. I am one of those people that gets to the parks a lot (I think wife and I went to parks some part of 28 days this year already), and whether SM will be working properly has become a running joke. We often find ourselves saying "I wonder if _____ will be working this time". It's sad that it has come down to that. I consider SM one of the biggest and best rides in all of WDW and I know I'm not alone. I still don't understand why so many of its parts are so often not working. And I do agree that it needs work before Pirates and Haunted Mansion. HM audio is screwed up, but SM has bigger problems than that. I'm blind to any problems in Pirates - I like it just how it is, really. I'm lucky enough to ride SM enough that I can get bits and pieces of working stuff from time to time, but if it was my once-a-year trip and things didn't work at all, I would be as upset as you. On a ride like SM, guests deserve better. Heck, on any ride they deserve better. I've probably been on that ride over 60 times this year, and can't remember even one ride where everything was working.

Maybe we should all start dropping in on city hall and giving them some friendly advice about Splash Mountain. :brick: A great ride like this should be experienced at its best.

If only we could get to WDW 28 times a year!!!

When I talked to them at city hall, they actually told me the best thing to do would be to send an e-mail to guest communications at wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com... So that's what I did. Basically made sure to let them know that most of the time I'm happy as a clam, but that SM needed major help and then I listed out a few things that weren't working, most prominently all the missing audio and all the completely dead AA's. I'd say that it wouldn't hurt for anyone else to do the same thing, if they've experienced issues too.

It's like you said... I can handle a little something here or there not working... But when entire pieces of the story are missing and you've got giant mute frogs not moving and staring at you and your children for no reason... There's issues. Not to mention it's a little creepy.

PeeplMoovr

Original Poster
Buried20KLeague said:
If only we could get to WDW 28 times a year!!!

28 times SO FAR this year! We're heading back for this weekend! :lol:

Buried20KLeague said:
you've got giant mute frogs not moving and staring at you and your children

Beware the Giant Motionless Mute Frogs!

Thanks for the email address. I'm sending off an email now to give Disney some well deserved praise, as well as a few "maintenance suggestions" regarding Splash Mountain. :lol:

KumbaRider

I can understand the disappointment, but they know these problems exist. If it were an easy fix, it would already be done. The only problem is they need to shut the attraction down to do most of these "major" fixes. But because people will complain even MORE when it is closed entirely rather than when certain parts don't function, then the ride continues to operate as it may.

The same issue is with Test Track, which is why it will finally be down for a lenghty refurb next Spring. The bottom line is people will complain either way, and management knows about the issues and IS working to fix them.

In the meantime, if you know these effects are missing then just imagine they are there and operational if they mean that much. That way you can still enjoy the experience while being able to ride it.

dzlandSr

I've been to WDW twice (back in 1996 and 2000) and didn't ride Splash because I was chicken! I just recently started riding the one at Disneyland and am looking forward to riding it on my WDW trip next week (so please stay open, don't close!) Most of the things that aren't operating I probably won't notice, I just wanna enjoy the ride!:eek:

PeeplMoovr

Original Poster
KumbaRider said:
In the meantime, if you know these effects are missing then just imagine they are there and operational if they mean that much.

Or, you can just stay home, play the Splash Mountain soundtrack on your stereo, and imagine you're on the ride! :lol:

I understand what you mean - I'm sure management knows about the problems - but it doesn't ever hurt to write letters to call attention to the fact that we know those problems are there too, and would like to see them corrected.

Buried20KLeague

KumbaRider said:
I can understand the disappointment, but they know these problems exist. If it were an easy fix, it would already be done. The only problem is they need to shut the attraction down to do most of these "major" fixes. But because people will complain even MORE when it is closed entirely rather than when certain parts don't function, then the ride continues to operate as it may.

The same issue is with Test Track, which is why it will finally be down for a lenghty refurb next Spring. The bottom line is people will complain either way, and management knows about the issues and IS working to fix them.

In the meantime, if you know these effects are missing then just imagine they are there and operational if they mean that much. That way you can still enjoy the experience while being able to ride it.

I guess my main point is that Disney is all about the "story". SM isn't a flume ride... It's a long and elaborate story about brer rabbit leaving home, etc... When that story MAJORLY suffers and misses parts because of functional problems, that's when I think the plug needs to be pulled to get some work done. I can understand your point about management taking the lesser of two evils and leaving it open as opposed to dealing with guest complaints with it being closed... But Disney tells STORIES... That's why I believe it needs immediate attention.

Let me sum it up in one thought: As we were riding it over and over last week and everthing wasn't working and it was in such poor condition, I actually looked at my wife and said "Where are we??? Six Flags???" I'd expect something like that from Six Flags. I wouldn't from Disney.

ORLANDO LOVER

When i was there in mid july 05 everything was working just fine. the only that was not working was the the little waterfall on the right handside once you have been down the drop and gone around the corner.

KumbaRider

dzlandSr said:
I've been to WDW twice (back in 1996 and 2000) and didn't ride Splash because I was chicken! I just recently started riding the one at Disneyland and am looking forward to riding it on my WDW trip next week (so please stay open, don't close!) Most of the things that aren't operating I probably won't notice, I just wanna enjoy the ride!:eek:

That's my point. That is why MK has not put down Splash for a lengthy refurb. The new riders wouldn't notice the missing details anyway. I can understand why people want the problems fixed, but it is operational in its current state, and people still get an experience...they may not get the full experience but at least they get an experience.

dzlandSr

I don't mind lengthy rehabs if a ride needs it, but Disney should give us customers advanced notice so that we won't miss out on a special attraction we love. Especially for us that can only visit once every four years ($$$ and where I live being the reasons I can't visit more often) If I see that a favorite attraction is going to go down for a rehab, I'll make sure that I visit when it's open and not closed and I won't be disappointed by going to the park, walking up to ride and seeing it closed for rehab.

shmmrname

I was never so upset than when my last trip to WDW featured a very out-of-shape Splash Mountain. Everytime I stick up for WDW's atmosphere and deeper entertainment value over other options, I immediately use Splash Mountain as a reference. Many parks have plume-type rides, but nothing entertains quite like Splash Mountain does.
I remember how the ride was just absolute perfection each and every time I rode it. But, our last trip I noticed garbage (gum and pepsi) and mechanical/technical problems in the attraction. I know it is a major undertaking to keep the mountain pristine, but only out of selfishness do I hope Disney try's their best to remedy the situation.

RSoxNo1

dzlandSr said:
I don't mind lengthy rehabs if a ride needs it, but Disney should give us customers advanced notice so that we won't miss out on a special attraction we love. Especially for us that can only visit once every four years ($$$ and where I live being the reasons I can't visit more often) If I see that a favorite attraction is going to go down for a rehab, I'll make sure that I visit when it's open and not closed and I won't be disappointed by going to the park, walking up to ride and seeing it closed for rehab.

A few weeks ago, several E Ticket attractions in the Magic Kingdom broke down. My guess is that Splash Mountain being closed was an unplanned event. Disney is very good about scheduling ride rehabs during off times (seasons where their is less guest traffic).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom