Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

PeterAlt

For me, Space Mountain was one of my favourite rides in MK back in 2007 (pre-refurb), but in 2011 (post-refurb), it was really rough, and went from being one of my favourite rides at MK to one that I wouldn't necessarily rush to get back to...

I know that logically, it should have been rougher in 2007 than in 2011 (although who knows after that refurb), but, to me, it felt that way...
I want to hear good news about Space Mountain! When will it get a respectable rehab?

articos

This is why they should have a major WDI Contingent in Florida full-time so they can always be overseeing things.
There is a pretty good group of Imagineering based in FL in the Satellite office. The problem doesn't stem from the staffing, it stems from the authority. Without a Show Quality Services group, there's virtually no one with the authority or even the eye to keep a watch on what's working and what isn't. It's a systemic problem, and Ops doesn't want to give up their power to WDI, because they know it will end up lowering their guest counts.

HMF

My gosh, it's hard to believe it's the same ride!!! That looked amazing!!! How nice to feel GOOD about TDO for a change! Way to go, guys! :)
I feel I need to say something here. While we should all be happy that this refurb turned out so well, We must keep in mind that there have been great refurbs of attractions in the recent past, Mansion and Hall of Presidents being the most obvious. The key now is consistency rather than the cycle 0f" Good Refurb followed by bad refurb followed by OK Refurb" we have been experiencing for the past few years.
There needs to be a large vast improvement Of Show Quality Standards throughout the property before we get too excited, After all what is good about this refurb are things that should be common sense.

HMF

There is a pretty good group of Imagineering based in FL in the Satellite office. The problem doesn't stem from the staffing, it stems from the authority. Without a Show Quality Services group, there's virtually no one with the authority or even the eye to keep a watch on what's working and what isn't. It's a systemic problem, and Ops doesn't want to give up their power to WDI, because they know it will end up lowering their guest counts.
I am not talking about a handful of full-time Art Directors and project teams in Satelitte Offices. I am talking about a full branch of WDI exclusively dedicated to WDW rather than what we have now with just a few people on-site calling their bosses in Glendale.

jt04

Who's the new sheriff? Iger has been around for so long that he's basically about to start his farewell tour, so you must have a new sheriff to fawn over.

If you're thinking it's George K, then you're mistaken.

Well in Igers case, he has turned the 'town' around, you will just never acknowledge that. TWDC faced hostile takeover or even being broken up and sold off in chunks. Now, not so much.

It is epic considering the obstacles they company faced 7 years ago.

Not sure what GK brings to the table. But I have been saying for the last couple years the pendulum was swinging back to WDW and Disney seems to be putting personnel in place for that to happen.

Soon you will see and marvel. (no not that Marvel, the mouse now has ideas of galactic proportions......potentially)

TropicalFig8

I literally starting smiling when I saw all the AAs having such wonderful movement. I watched it back-to-back with another old Splash Mountain video, and I have to say,they did an amazing job with this refurb. Just like everyone else, I hope they keep it up with these kind of refurbs with other attractions that need it badly too. All I'm saying is, Good job Disney.

Marc Gil

I'm super excited to ride Splash on Saturday. Hopefully the problems mentioned above will be fixed by the time I get there. Super SUPER Excited!

Tom Morrow

I feel I need to say something here. While we should all be happy that this refurb turned out so well, We must keep in mind that there have been great refurbs of attractions in the recent past, Mansion and Hall of Presidents being the most obvious. The key now is consistency rather than the cycle 0f" Good Refurb followed by bad refurb followed by OK Refurb" we have been experiencing for the past few years.
There needs to be a large vast improvement Of Show Quality Standards throughout the property before we get too excited, After all what is good about this refurb are things that should be common sense.
Yep, people quickly forget that, for example, Kali River Rapids was just closed for six weeks and seemingly nothing was done at all. While I'm sure some "backstage work" was done, six weeks is enough time that everything should have been made "like new".

Alektronic

They used to keep parts available 24/7 for all AAs. They could be fixed immediately on failure, so it really was as simple as seeing a broken AA, dispatching maintenance, and they would dip into the AA part list and fix it.

They still have available parts and are still repaired. Most times it is just an actuator leaking or a broken feedback cable. But the problem is that it is not a priority, it gets fixed when they have time to fix it. If they don't have time then it just sits there turned off or disabled. Ride parts and maintenance is the high priority items so it always gets fixed first.

articos

I am not talking about a handful of full-time Art Directors and project teams in Satelitte Offices. I am talking about a full branch of WDI exclusively dedicated to WDW rather than what we have now with just a few people on-site calling their bosses in Glendale.
Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. Technically, that's what Kathy is now. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom