Splash Mountain falling apart (literally?)

Scuttle

If repairing the rockwork and/or flume leaks is going to be expensive (ie, they'll need to essentially gut the center of the structure and re-build most of it), they may just need to close the attraction semi-permanently. Disney can't afford to make such costly repairs when they've already got 2 major expansions slated, and I don't think the attraction's connection with such a racially-charged film ever sat right with Disney anyway.

Jim Hill recently hinted that plans to scale back the rockwork of any potential Florida Carsland would be due to Disney's slow learning curve in figuring out that you can't necessarily build in Florida's climate what you build in California and expect it to last.

I personally would not mind if they closed Splash for good. If Splash is in the shape many of us think it is in then this might not be that far fetched. TDO might be thinking about tearing Splash down and expanding frontierland a bit to the back and use the land better. During peak times you can't even walk around that area.

Scuttle

This all sounds completely horrific. The sad state of Splash Mountain has been no secret for YEARS now. The broken animatronics and effects (including relatively simple water fountains), screwy sound, show lights turned down and now the mountain is literally falling apart. This is arguably one of their biggest and best attractions. It's technically complex, but that's the sort of thing that really sets apart a Disney experience. Not anymore!

I would give up Splash for Western River Expedition in a heartbeat, but your right it's sad. Splash was such a true E-Ticket and now it's just deteriorating.

Cosmic Commando

I would almost think that in a 3 month period they could really fix a lot on that ride. It is not like they have to replace tracks like on Big Thunder. They should be able to replace the mechanics, plantings, repaint in 3 months. One can only hope!
Realistically, they probably could do a lot in those 3 months if they bought the manpower to make it happen. Unfortunately, refurbs seem to move at the speed of "Uncle Joe will drive down from Tallahassee to help when he can get some time off at the plant."

Victor Kelly

You don't see decay and broken animatronics.........waves hand in front of your face.

This is not the attraction you are looking for.........waves hand in front of your face.

You may go to another attraction, move along........waves hand in front of your face.

RSoxNo1

I personally would not mind if they closed Splash for good. If Splash is in the shape many of us think it is in then this might not be that far fetched. TDO might be thinking about tearing Splash down and expanding frontierland a bit to the back and use the land better. During peak times you can't even walk around that area.
I can only assume that you wrote this from a de-pressurized airplane.

Scuttle

I can only assume that you wrote this from a de-pressurized airplane.

That's funny. Yep i actually wrote it from 15,000 feet with a broken window.

But seriously what if the interior structure is falling apart and the cost to fix it is ridiculously expensive? I seriously wouldn't rule it out. Is it HIGHLY unlikely? Yes, but we have seen this before with 20,000 and from what I have been reading and hearing it's eerily similar.

Magenta Panther

That's funny. Yep i actually wrote it from 15,000 feet with a broken window.

But seriously what if the interior structure is falling apart and the cost to fix it is ridiculously expensive? I seriously wouldn't rule it out. Is it HIGHLY unlikely? Yes, but we have seen this before with 20,000 and from what I have been reading and hearing it's eerily similar.

My god, you don't think that's why TDO is neglecting it, do you? Because it's due for demolition anyway? :O

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
My god, you don't think that's why TDO is neglecting it, do you? Because it's due for demolition anyway? :O

An interesting theory, to be certain, but doesn't hold water IMO.

If the reason for horrifically lax maintenance was scheduled Demo. We would be visiting a large pile of rubble in a swamp before long.

pumpkin7

If the BTMRR refurb is our guide it could very well be 90% "new": the new stationary figure in place of the hopping Br'er Rabbit, the new empty space where the spinning bee hives and the turtle in the laughin' place were, etc.

Maybe Br'er Frog's shadow in the queue will know my name, though.

Does any one have any pictures of these changes?

JTT

They are closing it down in 2013 for a refurb. Which is good.

Unfortunately it will be closed when we are there, which stink!

Maybe they will shut it down now and it will be fixed by Mardi Gras! I hope so!!

Either way, fix it at any cost! I love Splash Mountain.

Sloan

I was on Splash last week for the first time in a year - it was in a sad state for sure, but at least I made it on for one ride (which I still managed to really enjoy). It was down every other time I went by there for the rest of my visit. Unfortunately, Big Thunder and HM were down on-and-off too. At least Pirates looked pretty good ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom