Splash Mountain changes its splash

I experienced this at my last trip. I liked it. I hate getting soaked to the skin before the drop. I love Splash Mountain, but would often avoid riding it because I didn't want to have it rain on me. This, for me, is a positive change, because it lets you know you could get soaked, but doesn't actually soak you so you can enjoy the rest of your day in dry clothes!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
When we rode in February, we noticed the water cannon not reaching you on the first lift hill. To be honest, I'm happy with it. I don't mind getting wet on the big drop, but not before the ride really even starts.

DonaldDoleWhip

Wait - people go on a water flume ride with warning signs that state you will get wet and are surprised if their cell phone stops working because it got wet on that water flume ride while in the boat??????
:zipit:
That's a huge surprise to me. If I go on Splash Mountain, I always make sure I have a little plastic bag that I can wrap my phone in so it won't get wet. I assumed everyone in line understands the implications of riding Splash Mountain.

Not many people riding the ride know that the bigger soaking would come from just getting to the lift hill at the right time. Most people assume that you are going to get the most wet from the big drop...so I don't think that this will cause much of a difference in wait time on those cooler nights.
I hope you're right. I love Splash Mountain not only because it's one of the best rides, but also because of the incredibly short wait time in the evenings. Some rides will practically always have long waits, so I'd like to see this continue.

I rode 5 times in March and I must say that even though the splash doesn't hit the log, it comes pretty close! Enough to get you a little wet at least.I guess its all psychological but even though I knew that it wouldn't reach the idea of it hitting still gave me that roulette feel every time.

MickeyPeace

Wow a lot of Debbie Downers here. IMO one of the most fun things about Splash Mountain is wondering if you are going to get soaked or stay dry on your particular ride through. Uptight whiners always ruin everything as usual. :rolleyes:

Agreed. It's a water thrill ride. You will get wet. You are warned you will get wet. That's part of the experience. If you don't want to get wet on a water ride there is IASW.

This ride has always been modified at night and during colder times so riders don't get as wet. Hopefully they will blast it again during the summer.

Am I the only one that doesn't get wet on Kali? Sure I get sprayed on but hardcore wet like some folks do, nope. That's why I can't understand the folks that wear the ponchos on that ride.

Seriously, want to get wet, RipZaw Falls, oh goodness that was horrible. x_x; Fun ride but I was soaked from head to toe and granted it felt amazing in the heat, but still, eesh!

As for my opinion on this teeny splash, I'll have to wait until July when I go back to the World, but it won't bother me really. A little wet is fine =)

Skooterkid

I'm upset! Some of my favourite memories of Splash Mountain are those 'Will they/Won't they' moments when you turn the corner in sheer anticipation. Thats the only place I've ever got wet on that ride. Its called Splash Mountain for a reason, and they obviously added the water canon in the first place because there wasn't enough opportunities to get wet. If people don't want to get wet then they should go on Big Thunder Mountain!

DonaldDoleWhip

I'm upset! Some of my favourite memories of Splash Mountain are those 'Will they/Won't they' moments when you turn the corner in sheer anticipation. Thats the only place I've ever got wet on that ride. Its called Splash Mountain for a reason, and they obviously added the water canon in the first place because there wasn't enough opportunities to get wet. If people don't want to get wet then they should go on Big Thunder Mountain!
I think before the cannon, the final drop was much wetter. I remember much more water being tossed at you as you go under the briar patch. When the ride was like this, sitting in the front was one of the most certain ways to get wet (which I still prefer). Then the end was toned down after the cannon was added, making it more random who stays wet or dry - I feel like this was around 2005 or 2006. In February 2006, I remember going with friends who didn't want to get wet - they sat in the back, and we were all caught off guard when the jet got them instead of me.

So now, if the cannon no longer makes riders wet anymore, I wonder if the rest of the ride is still enough to live up to the "splash" name. I hope so.

Mansion Butler

OR! They should not do what makes me happiest or you happiest necessarily, and instead do what makes the most people happiest.

DiPSU224

I am happy for it. I do not mind getting a little wet but getting soaked to the core when I am not at a water park is very unappealing to me. I avoid Kali for this very reason.

Kali may be the one current attraction at WDW that I have not experienced. It always seems like everyone exits that ride dripping wet.

As a previous victim of that water cannon, I'm happy with this change if it's permanent. I love Splash but the thought of getting soaked turns me off of it. In fact, we skipped it entirely last trip. I understand it's a water ride, but getting saturated and then walking around is not appealing to me. My hair is long and takes a long time to dry...not to mention that it doesn't dry well in the humid Florida air...but, maybe that's just me being a tad vain...:animwink:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Kali may be the one current attraction at WDW that I have not experienced. It always seems like everyone exits that ride dripping wet.
Typically 2 guests will get soaked on Kali. The rest will get a little wet. There is one section where you go down a drop. If you are at the bottom of the raft when it hits the bottom of this drop you get drenched. I always seem to be this person.

lebeau

Typically 2 guests will get soaked on Kali. The rest will get a little wet. There is one section where you go down a drop. If you are at the bottom of the raft when it hits the bottom of this drop you get drenched. I always seem to be this person.

We rode Kali once.

It was on our honeymoon. My wife asked where to sit to avoid getting wet. Not knowing how the ride was going to go, I suggested sitting in the driest seat. Makes sense, right? As soon as we took off, I realized that wasn't going to help.

Sure enough, she was at the bottom of the raft at the drop and it looked like she had been dunked. As we exited the ride, people pointed and laughed. We ended up going home immediately afterwards even though we had basically just gotten there.

Haven't been on it since and probably never will.

(But it sure was funny!) Shhhhh...

Pioneer Hall

Unlike the Popeye raft ride at IOA where everyone is walking off drenched because of the water effects they have....at least you have a fighting chance with Kali.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Unlike the Popeye raft ride at IOA where everyone is walking off drenched because of the water effects they have....at least you have a fighting chance with Kali.
So true. When people ask about getting wet on that attraction I tell them to just go ahead and dive into the water before getting on the raft.

David S.

I support this change 100 percent!

The main appeal of the ride to me has always been the cute AA animal critters singing catchy and addictive sing-along songs and telling the story of the animated segments of the Disney classic, Song Of the South. The random possibility of a drenching was actually a deterrent that would sometimes cause me to skip the ride on cooler days/nights when it wasn't cold enough for them to turn the cannons off.

The thrill lover in me enjoys the drops, and I don't mind getting a little wet from the big drop - it was just the random possibility of a cannon soaking I despised.

One of my fondest memories of Splash Mountain was riding it over and over again with no wait, the last hour of a chilly January night, the last night before it went down for a winter rehab. The masses were staying away because of the "wet" factor, but I had noticed before boarding that the cannons were off. I was allowed to stay in the boat because no one else was riding

Due to the lack of weight from being the only person in the boat, I stayed completely dry on the drops, and was able to completely immerse myself in the joyous, happy, musical world of Brer Rabbit and friends without having to worry about getting drenched.

I hope the ride stays in the current mode of eliminating the random soaking from the cannons, so guest can enjoy the classic, cute, happy, musical nature of this attraction without playing roulette with the chance of getting soaked to the bone in the process.

hauntdmansion79

We were there February 25th - March 6th and this new splash setup was in place at the time. We personally were more than OK with it! We used to get absolutely SOAKED by that splash and felt it wasn't great because you got soaked before even entering the majority of the ride. I used to bust out an umbrella and deflect the baseball sized water drops from hitting our log! I think it's a good change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom