Splash Mountain changes its splash

bgraham34

Agreed. It's a water thrill ride. You will get wet. You are warned you will get wet. That's part of the experience. If you don't want to get wet on a water ride there is IASW.

This ride has always been modified at night and during colder times so riders don't get as wet. Hopefully they will blast it again during the summer.

I agree with what you said, its the thrill of not knowing you will get soaked or not is what i like.

i just don't see why so many people are so happy to see it leave. the entire time while you are in line there are signs saying "you will get wet". another thing it is a water ride, and when you ride with a large hill at the end, so you'll probably get wet there anyways. plus its not like you cant stand on the bridge and see what's happening with all the logs out front, you can see the water cannon hitting the logs, so it shouldn't be a surprise. that was always part of the fun for my family, seeing if we were going to get nailed by the cannon. if they changed it because of the cold weather, i completely understand and agree, i just hope it comes back in time for my trip this summer.

David S.

I would agree with your point if it were ONLY a water ride. But it is a dark ride/water ride HYBRID. If it were a typical water ride with no scenery, no sets, no characters, no songs, no story, etc. - then I would completely agree with the camp that says, "if you don't like the risk of getting randomly soaked by the cannons, don't ride".

HOWEVER, in Splash, they have built one of the longest, best, happiest, most musical dark rides EVER. A lot of people consider it their favorite Disney DARK ride. For guests looking at it from that perspective, the fact that the dark ride elements are combined with water ride elements could be a deterrent, when the water ride elements included a random drenching. So using the "don't like it, don't ride" option in that scenario would mean missing one of the greatest dark rides Disney has ever built.

If the possibility of a cheap, random, drenching was causing some people to skip the wonderful SHOW inside of the show building (and for some guests, it was a deterrent), than that is probably a factor in why Disney did what they did and why many members here are happy with the changes.

epcotWSC

noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! The reactions of my girlfriend getting nailed by that were priceless. Now it won't be as good :(.

alawrence

I will not miss it at all. The last few times that we have ridden SM it has completely drenched me right off the bat. It makes the rest of the ride miserable, and takes the "Will I get wet this time?" suspense out of the final drop.

LowesChevy

I am happy for it. I do not mind getting a little wet but getting soaked to the core when I am not at a water park is very unappealing to me. I avoid Kali for this very reason.

ITA, I do not really want to walk around the park with saoking wet clothes and sneakers all day. Sometimes we avoid riding Splash Mountain all together, but perhaps this is some good news for us.

mat5

HOWEVER, in Splash, they have built one of the longest, best, happiest, most musical dark rides EVER. A lot of people consider it their favorite Disney DARK ride. For guests looking at it from that perspective, the fact that the dark ride elements are combined with water ride elements could be a deterrent, when the water ride elements included a random drenching. So using the "don't like it, don't ride" option in that scenario would mean missing one of the greatest dark rides Disney has ever built.

I agree, Me and my wife skipped this ride the so many times, because I did not want to get wet. One morning my wife went to MK, while I was at a meeting, and rode Splash, when we meet later she told me this was a must do ride, WOW I was shocked, I had no idea how great the ride was.

So every trip it is a must a least once, soaked or not.

Thrill Seeker

It was dumbed down because Splash is considered a story ride and as such, should be accessible to all guests, including those who don't want to get soaked. Personally, I liked that cannon because it felt good in the summer and because it added a random element to the ride. On the opposite side though, due to the heavier weight of the logs, you do get a bit wetter in the front two rows, so it's a trade off of sorts.

epcotWSC

Maybe they'll bump it up again in the summer. Nothing feels better on a 95 degree day then getting a big splash of water on you.

Disneyfanman

This is one of those things that has changed as we have gotten older. Splash is my favorite ride at WDW but the cannon, tho exciting, turned half my family off in recent years. I end up skipping it on colder days entirely due to objections from the team. We get plenty "sprinkled on" by the drops. Let the kids do Kali. We are all happy.

Hot4Hudgens

I am happy for it. I do not mind getting a little wet but getting soaked to the core when I am not at a water park is very unappealing to me. I avoid Kali for this very reason.

Same here, though I plan on going prepared on my next trip. Some board shorts that'll dry up quick and an extra shirt in the case I get the worst of it. Don't want to keep brushing those 2 to the side because of the chance I'd get wet.

cassiedoodle

I'm not crazy about the change. My family and I love waiting to see if we'll get the splash or not. Even if you do get soaked, you dry in 10 minutes in the Florida sun ;)

Scar

This is SUCH welcome news. Yes, I guess we are Debbie Downers but totally HATED the randomness of it and also, when we go in January and February, believe it or not but Florida CAN get chilly so we would avoid one of our favorite rides.

We have no problem getting wet at the end. But getting soaked at the beginning and then miserable for the rest of the ride was no fun at all. At least IMHO.

Wilt Dasney

I somewhat see what you're saying. And at the same time, you're going on a water ride that says you're gonna get wet. I guess if it said you're gonna get drenched unexpectedly it would be better? "Wet" and "drenched" are two different things, and people would get drenched on that part. I'm for this change, but like someone else mentioned, this could be just because it's broke.

If memory serves me, the signs actually say "You WILL get wet. You MAY get soaked."

Seems like full and fair warning to me. :D

fosse76

Wow a lot of Debbie Downers here. IMO one of the most fun things about Splash Mountain is wondering if you are going to get soaked or stay dry on your particular ride through. Uptight whiners always ruin everything as usual. :rolleyes:

Agreed. I'm sorry, but IT'S A WATER RIDE!!!! If you don't want to get wet, DON'T RIDE!

Wilt Dasney

Unlike the Popeye raft ride at IOA where everyone is walking off drenched because of the water effects they have....at least you have a fighting chance with Kali.

I was warned by a good friend about Popeye, but took the plunge anyway while she waited outside.

I ended up having to sit down and wring out my socks(!) after the ride.

I said "You didn't warn me that my socks would get soaked!" :lol:

WDWGoof07

I'm indifferent to this change, but I know my family will like the ride better without it. So I call this a win. I'm glad they still shoot the water cannon because I like the illusion of the logs causing the big upward splash.

MAF

Like someone else said, is it really so hard to comprehend that YOU WILL GET WET? The signs are everywhere before boarding... :brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom