Splash Mountain changes its splash

baymenxpac

I'll miss it but it's not anything I'm going to get up in arms about. The thing I will miss about it is the randomness of it. It was kinda like playing water cannon roulette. You never knew if it was going to sync up with your log or not so there was a slight adrenaline rush as you went under it wondering if it would go off or not, but oh well. No biggie. Thanks for the update, Steve.

totally, totally true. it was the only thing that was kind of cool about it. having to just resign yourself to your fate the minute you knew your log was destined to sync up to it.

that being said, i won't miss it that much. splash mountain is such a cool, nuanced ride. and long for that matter. it's a same to be soaked early on and focused on how wet you are instead of the intricacies of the ride.

RonAnnArbor

Applause Applause Applause....

Maybe it will get me to ride it again, being one of the two rides at WDW (the other Kali at DAK) that I would otherwise never ride again....

baymenxpac

This. I reiterate that it was too much, but the thrill of whether or not you'd get hit was fun.

Which is how a water ride should be. Not an official guarantee that you will be drenched. I'm looking at you, Kali.

i'm with you on kali. no story and a guarantee of getting drenched? greeaaaaaat...

Testtrack321

Wow a lot of Debbie Downers here. IMO one of the most fun things about Splash Mountain is wondering if you are going to get soaked or stay dry on your particular ride through. Uptight whiners always ruin everything as usual. :rolleyes:

If you're walking from your car to Typhoon Lagoon or another water park, and I come up and throw a bucket of water on you, will you be ed? I mean you were going to a water park to get wet!

I'd be ed. I hate the whole cheap shot aspect of it. You get in line knowing "hey there's a giant drop with water, I will get wet here," compared to random and unplanned soaking by a water cannon. It's just... lame.

erasure fan1

I'll miss it but it's not anything I'm going to get up in arms about. The thing I will miss about it is the randomness of it. It was kinda like playing water cannon roulette. You never knew if it was going to sync up with your log or not so there was a slight adrenaline rush as you went under it wondering if it would go off or not, but oh well. No biggie.
Yes I totally agree! That was a big part of the fun for us, not knowing if we would get hit or not. Its just kind of a shame that you wont get wet at all on a water ride. :shrug:

Testtrack321 said:
If you're walking from your car to Typhoon Lagoon or another water park, and I come up and throw a bucket of water on you, will you be ed? I mean you were going to a water park to get wet!
The difference is if you threw a bucket of water on me in a parking lot I wouldnt be expecting it, so yea I would be ticked. But when you go on a water ride, that lets you know every step of the way before you get on, you will get wet, its not an equal comparison.

Brian Noble

Are we sure this is new? I could swear that they've altered the "reach" of that water cannon in the past in different weather conditions...

If I don't feel like getting soaked, I bring *one* poncho, and we stretch it out overhead like a big umbrella/roof on that segment.

the-reason14

I'd be ed. I hate the whole cheap shot aspect of it. You get in line knowing "hey there's a giant drop with water, I will get wet here," compared to random and unplanned soaking by a water cannon. It's just... lame.

I agree, and I sure as hell would be ed!! But you're going on a water ride, and there are signs saying 'You may get wet.' If that's not enough for you, you're riding 'Splash' Mountain, not Dry mountain.

With that said, I really disliked the splash, but it never was much of a deciding factor for me as far as riding it. I usually held a poncho up to protect myself with clueless people looking at me like I'm crazy. It was fun seeing others get splashed, and honestly during the summer, I didn't mind it too much, just as long as I deflected most of it with a poncho.

Disneydreamer23

It doesnt really matter to me... My fiance loves getting wet for me not so much.. the ride you get SOAKED on i feel is The water ride in Asia @ Animal Kindom I went on Junw 09 and walked around dripping for a good 2 hours and I am one of those people who get really uncomfortable wet so this time when we go i am bringin a spare pair of shorts!

Testtrack321

I agree, and I sure as hell would be ed!! But you're going on a water ride, and there are signs saying 'You may get wet.' If that's not enough for you, you're riding 'Splash' Mountain, not Dry mountain.

With that said, I really disliked the splash, but it never was much of a deciding factor for me as far as riding it. I usually held a poncho up to protect myself with clueless people looking at me like I'm crazy. It was fun seeing others get splashed, and honestly during the summer, I didn't mind it too much, just as long as I deflected most of it with a poncho.

But you're going to the water park, you're going to get wet. In the bathing suit and all, walking up to get in.

The point is it's not an earned experience, there's no hill, there's no story or experience. Maybe a better example would be getting into the log and having a bucket pour on you right as you leave the station.

Figment1986

This is probably in response to complaints from guests who had cell phones or other expensive electronics in their pocket that went kuput from that element alone... I know SeaWorld trainers at Sealions actually asked if the adult getting his "photo" was carrying any electronic devices like a cell phone before they cued the drenching which they used to never ask.

ryno1982

I doubt it's new as much as it's a case of the water cannon not working properly. For my entire CP in Fall of 08 it was pretty much identical to the video with the water missing the log, and it was because it was broken.

tecowdw

Hmmm...
I just plain don't recall this water cannon shot. This isn't the one that shoots over the walkway, right?
:shrug:

tecowdw

This is probably in response to complaints from guests who had cell phones or other expensive electronics in their pocket that went kuput from that element alone... I know SeaWorld trainers at Sealions actually asked if the adult getting his "photo" was carrying any electronic devices like a cell phone before they cued the drenching which they used to never ask.

Wait - people go on a water flume ride with warning signs that state you will get wet and are surprised if their cell phone stops working because it got wet on that water flume ride while in the boat??????
:zipit:

the-reason14

But you're going to the water park, you're going to get wet. In the bathing suit and all, walking up to get in.

The point is it's not an earned experience, there's no hill, there's no story or experience. Maybe a better example would be getting into the log and having a bucket pour on you right as you leave the station.

I somewhat see what you're saying. And at the same time, you're going on a water ride that says you're gonna get wet. I guess if it said you're gonna get drenched unexpectedly it would be better? "Wet" and "drenched" are two different things, and people would get drenched on that part. I'm for this change, but like someone else mentioned, this could be just because it's broke.

DarthGrady

I thought it seemed different last weekend. I was happy to not get soaked, I figured we just got lucky! :) I will ride it more often now, I don't mind a little spray but getting drenched sucks IMO.

Scooter

My wife and I quit riding this attraction a few years ago because we kept getting soaked. Florida is humid and it takes forever to dry once you get wet. We defintely will go back to riding it again if the degree of wetness is toned down. We Love the attracton, not the water.
For the person who comented that it's a water ride, not a dry ride, well Living With The land is a water ride too but I'd be ed if at some point a bucket full of water was thrown in my face while I rode it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom