Splash Mountain and Thunder Mountain Refurb?

ralfsk8

Original Poster
Rumor

So I've been hearing that both of these mountains will begin a refurbishment process around January 2012. Anyone know if any of this is real?

Thanks!

disneycraze

Rumor

So I've been hearing that both of these mountains will begin a refurbishment process around January 2012. Anyone know if any of this is real?

Thanks!

I have heard this too. But idk if it will happen. And if it does I doubt they will refurb at the same time

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Splash always goes down around that time but I can't really see them closing BTMRR and Splash at the same time unless something being done on Splash will force a shutdown of BTMRR.

Scuttle

I have heard about thunder going down from january to march, but not splash. They both desperately need a good refurb. Anyone know when the last time Thunder received a refurb?

Pioneer Hall

Splash always goes down around that time but I can't really see them closing BTMRR and Splash at the same time unless something being done on Splash will force a shutdown of BTMRR.

This is all I could think of too, and you would imagine that they would try to minimize any potential overlap. Perhaps there will be some major equipment needed for both that they can minimize costs by doing both since they are right next to each other.

Buried20KLeague

It's possible they're going to do like they did this Spring at Disneyland... They closed all of critter country (Splash, Hungry Bear, Winnie the Pooh, and associated areas) to completely spruce that corner of the park up quickly.

If SM and BTMRR is closing at the same time, it makes sense to just put a wall up at the bridge by SM and refurb everything down in that corner of the park that needs it all at once. Have the train pass the station there, as opposed to stopping, and there ya go.

That's all if the rumor is true that both would close together, of course.

djkidkaz

This is all I could think of too, and you would imagine that they would try to minimize any potential overlap. Perhaps there will be some major equipment needed for both that they can minimize costs by doing both since they are right next to each other.

Isnt test track also rumored to be going down in January? There's no way they'd close 3 e-tickets, even in January.

Scuttle

Isnt test track also rumored to be going down in January? There's no way they'd close 3 e-tickets, even in January.

It does seem excessive, but I wouldn't complain. I have absolutely zero problems for a ride going down for a refurb, especially the 3 that are rumored, given the shape they are in. Bring out the walls!

Pioneer Hall

It is possible. Some people on fan boards wish that we were more like Disneyland in terms of upkeep, and this is how they do things over there. Look at the current/upcoming refurb schedule at DL and you will see that they have no problem closing multiple big tickets at the same time.

gators11

It's possible they're going to do like they did this Spring at Disneyland... They closed all of critter country (Splash, Hungry Bear, Winnie the Pooh, and associated areas) to completely spruce that corner of the park up quickly.

If SM and BTMRR is closing at the same time, it makes sense to just put a wall up at the bridge by SM and refurb everything down in that corner of the park that needs it all at once. Have the train pass the station there, as opposed to stopping, and there ya go.That's all if the rumor is true that both would close together, of course.

I really don't see them closing down the train. That would Main Street the only stop.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It is possible. Some people on fan boards wish that we were more like Disneyland in terms of upkeep, and this is how they do things over there. Look at the current/upcoming refurb schedule at DL and you will see that they have no problem closing multiple big tickets at the same time.
I hope you are right. If closing each and every attraction for a couple of weeks a year is needed to keep them at 100% then so be it.

Buried20KLeague

I really don't see them closing down the train. That would Main Street the only stop.

I don't see why it would matter. :shrug:

All they would have to do is make it clear that the "Walt Disney World Railroad will be making non-stop round-trip journeys around the Magic Kingdom only" or something to that effect.

Victor Kelly

Let us remember there only used to be 2 stops when Mk opened. Frontierland and Mainstreet.

Speaking of that, does anyone have pics of the old Frontierland station? I cannot find any in the massive collection of photographs I have, mainly because it predates me using a camera. Yeah I am that old :)

But I remember it being a victorian type structure with white gingerbread-ish arcitecture, red brick and a long winding path to the main walkway by Pecos Bills. And yes it once stood where Splash mountain now resides albiet off a tad to the left of where the mountain now stands.

RSoxNo1

It does seem excessive, but I wouldn't complain. I have absolutely zero problems for a ride going down for a refurb, especially the 3 that are rumored, given the shape they are in. Bring out the walls!

I definitely agree with this, but I'm also not the one that would be dealing with guest complaints. I would think that with Splash and Thunder they would try to stagger them if possible. If there's work that needs to be done in the area, I assume they would have that work take place at the beginning of one attraction's refurb and at the end of the other attraction's refurb.

I've been to the Magic Kingdom when Splash was closed and it's a big hit to the park, having both down would be that much tougher.

Often times when significant attractions are down they ramp up the entertainment. If these three attractions are all down at the same time I'd be curious to see if they'd run the Main Street Electrical Parade multiple times per night to make up for it.

hpyhnt 1000

As others have said, I'd be shocked if Orlando management closed down 2 of the MKs major E-tickets at the same time (in addition to Epcot losing Test Track for a few months). But considering the condition of both of them, I say bring it on.

For what its worth, BTMRR has had some work taking place, from rock work and sign painting to replacement of the wooden track ties. Could be a sign that more is in the works.

RSoxNo1

Were Space and Splash down at the same time during Space's substantial refurbishment?

This year both Primeval Whirl and Kali were down at the same time - while not E-Tickets, they represented 33% of the rides in that park.

Pioneer Hall

Let us remember there only used to be 2 stops when Mk opened. Frontierland and Mainstreet.

Speaking of that, does anyone have pics of the old Frontierland station? I cannot find any in the massive collection of photographs I have, mainly because it predates me using a camera. Yeah I am that old :)

But I remember it being a victorian type structure with white gingerbread-ish arcitecture, red brick and a long winding path to the main walkway by Pecos Bills. And yes it once stood where Splash mountain now resides albiet off a tad to the left of where the mountain now stands.

From MiceChat:

ky032210e.jpg

muse1983

The last time I heard talk about Thunder Mountain going down for refurb was then they were supposedly going to be adding Lone Ranger elements to it. But now that Disney has basically dropped the film who knows if a refurb is even on the horizon anymore...Other than the "falling rock" missing a while back Thunder Mountain has stayed in pretty decent shape lately. Splash Mountain on the other hands definitely needs a 2-3 month refurb.

RunnerEd

This is not a complaint by any means but; when did TDO get the maintenance bug? I'm sure glad they have it and hope they keep it!!!!

Both of these attractions need it. Last time I visited, I really say a lot of problems with Splash Mountain. So many of the the animatronics weren't functioning at all......most notably Brer Frog at the first hill and Brer Roadrunner when entering the Laughing Place....It's a great attraction. I needs some love....and that means releasing Song of the South on DVD so kids know who the characters are..... :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom