Splash Mnt. Rehab Info

Skylor

Original Poster
As you all know, Splash Mountain will be down the 17th and 18th of November. The reason being, They will be testing and if all goes right, installing a new magnetic brake for drop 4 (The main 52ft drop you see). Apparently, if the E-Stop is pressed while the log is falling, the log does not stop until the ending stretch (Which they know it takes that long, but for improved safety they want to try to slow it down as much as possible). So let's say some guest decides to randomly go into the underground briar patch tunnel, they wont (more than likely) be squashed by the log. (Or whatever story you'd like to come up with.)

Yesterday (Thursday, November 10th) Disney was doing some E-stop testing, so I figure the 17th-18th will be the days they will be installing the new system.

I don't think they will be slowing down the logs any (Which could make an even more intense drop!), because they need to get those logs down and out of drop 4 as soon as possible so the next log can go, So they don't cascade.

Anyways. 1st post. Yay! :wave:
(FYI: I'm no newbie, I've been reading these forums for about a year now. I've seen everything. haha)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
DarkMeasures said:
You think the splash would be bigger or smaller with those brakes?

The splash is actually controlled to a large extent by the shape of the front of the logs, and other factors on the track. I wouldnt imagine the splash will be affected much either way. :)

Thanks for the info Skylor, and welcome to WDWMAGIC, glad to see you posting.

AndyP

DarkMeasures said:
You think the splash would be bigger or smaller with those brakes?

I think the idea is the brakes will only be used in an emergency stop? Otherwise the ride will operate as normal. Thats the way I read the post anyway!

MickeyTigg

wdwmagic said:
The splash is actually controlled to a large extent by the shape of the front of the logs, and other factors on the track. I wouldnt imagine the splash will be affected much either way.

I thought there was a water cannon involved too.

:confused:

ballewclan

CAPTAIN HOOK said:
I can see it happening - guests will now take legal action against Disney for injuries caused by whiplash and logs aquaplaning :eek:

Well the magnets wouldnt make the ride stop, it would merely slow it down so it wouldnt be like "BAM" you stop. At least thats what i got from it...:)

raven

TiggerRPh said:
I thought there was a water cannon involved too.

:confused:

The cannons give the effect of a huge splash to guests that are watching the drop since the logs actually splash underground. The front of the logs are cut to make the splash bigger when the logs hit the water at the bottom. That is the splash that the riders feel. Having the drop in a tunnel also reflects water back onto the riders making them even more wet. Hope this helps. :wave:

CRO-Magnum

The logs are so innovative...

wdwmagic said:
The splash is actually controlled to a large extent by the shape of the front of the logs, and other factors on the track. I wouldnt imagine the splash will be affected much either way. :)

Thanks for the info Skylor, and welcome to WDWMAGIC, glad to see you posting.

Disney patented the design.

A quick search shows Disney has 103 patents (post 1976 only where Walt Disney Company is listed as the asignee) with the most recent being in 1999 (linear speaker array).

I think this one is for the busts in the Haunted Mansion.

Kacki

BTW, just a quick fact- Did you know that most of the ride takes place in a back building, not the actual "mountain?" And also, if you want to get wet, have the heavier members of the group in the front.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom