Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I would have a very tough time coughing $700 a night up for a room at the Mira Costa, as nice as it is. ... My plan is to spend a few nights there on my next trip, but I have seen rates as low as half that and I am hoping that happens on my trip. If not, I will likely not stay there.

Maybe I should ask this flock of followers that I allegedly have to start a Kickstarter cmapaign to fund me a week at the Mira Costa?

Allow me to post an inquisition if you would; when visiting the Disney parks abroad are there headsets to hear the ride audio that is in the language native to the park's host country?

WDW1974

Original Poster
That's interesting. This is the kind of thing that I can forgive to a point because they're trying something revolutionary. Sometimes you've gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette, as they say. I'd rather pick a few shells out of my omelette than not have an omelette at all.

Mmmm... Omelettes.

I've got to imagine they'll come up with some sort of fix, and then hopefully learn from this mistake.

I would hope so. I have heard a few small issues beyond this with the addition, although there is absolutely no doubt that this will be the highest caliber product to yet grace O-Town (maybe you can compare EPCOT 1982-83 as a whole with this).

I just am telling what I know ... and I find it beyond amusing that the UNI fanbois can't handle criticism any better than their Disney counterparts. And this is largely minor criticisms ... although I'd really prefer to not walk off Gringotts with a headache because UNI decided to listen to the kids.

And the bottom line, much like with many of Disney's MM+ issues, the noise problem with Gringotts was something that should have been figured out before construction ever began. Not now.

tissandtully

I disagree, naturally.

While one could argue about folks spending time on a forum dedicated to WDW (and theme parks/resorts), the same could be said about the characters on Flyer Talk, Cruise Critic or a forum devoted to everything from the New York Jets to Star Trek to refinishing antique furniture.

Ultimately, we are all fans of WDW, which is the common thread ...

But just because I love WDW, does not mean I am the same as someone who would stalk Princesses or foamheads, it doesn't mean I am a BRAND advocate like a Lou Mongello, Ricky Brigante or even Deb Wills.

And when it comes to taking shots at people for what I believe is creepy abhorrent behavior, I will gladly do so.

So while I may love the creative output of WDI (for instance), I don't think that it's OK for Imagineers or ex-Imagineers to rape teenagers. Extreme example, but in light of recent news I think it fits.

What I see and love about WDW may be vastly different than you ...
Not sure how you linked my comment to defending pedophiles, but ok. My point was only to just let people enjoy what they enjoy, aside from the obvious illegal things. Life's too short to give a crap.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Allow me to post an inquisition if you would; when visiting the Disney parks abroad are there headsets to hear the ride audio that is in the language native to the park's host country?

It depends. The only place I have seen them are in Tokyo and only for certain shows (Tiki Room is one ... the Genie 3D show at TDS is another ... I think there are 2-3 more).

HK is almost entirely in English. Paris is generally split English and French, but not where you don't know what is going on.

Even Tokyo, some attractions (generally older ones like Pirates) feature a lot of English. But the newer ones are almost entirely Japanese. It doesn't affect enjoyment at all.

About the only time I wish I had a translator was on the Jungle Cruise!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not sure how you linked my comment to defending pedophiles, but ok. My point was only to just let people enjoy what they enjoy, aside from the obvious illegal things. Life's too short to give a crap.

My point was simply that while we all enjoy Disney, we don't all come to it from the same place.

And people can enjoy whatever (that is legal, of course) they want, but if others wish to point out the insanity on display, then I think that is fine too.

stevehousse

Who said 'major problems'? Were people working out on the track? YES. Was this happening extremely late in the schedule? YES Were there challenges? Obviously

There were several posts about the ride having issues and that it wouldn't open until June or even July! On another thread on the boards someone was trying to say that the opening would be delayed because of the CM costuming?!?

Every new ride has its kinks to work out, but the way it was heading seemed like it was going to be delayed a lot longer than everyone expected.

The fact that they are letting actors ride the ride to shoot a commercial says it is ready to open. All I was saying was that if it wasn't ready, they wouldn't allow people to ride the thing... Cms have just gotten their work schedules for the ride as well, so this thing will be open in a few weeks!

As far as CM and AP previews, it looks like they might be skipping those in favor of just getting the damn thing open already...

WDW1974

Original Poster
All they need to do is slip that approval sheet in between that stack of royalty checks she has to endorse. She'd never notice.

No, Rowling would care ... one issue that some of those working on Diagon Alley have had is that JK and Warner Bros have had a much more 'hands off' approach to this phase of Potter and that the oversight needed hasn't been present.

The prevailing thought is she is busy with her new Potter projects and both JK and WB think that since UNI delivered such an amazing product in 2010 that they will do likewise this time if left alone.

Absimilliard

OK, let's play UNI news afternoon (besides, not talking about pedophiles who worked or work for WDI will give those following the thread here a chance to exhale ... but that won't last long!)

Here's the 'official' news on Comcast's first quarter:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-universal-comcast-earnings-20140421,0,4481897.story

And here's the 'unofficial' news on Gringotts that you won't read in the Sentinel or see on the Today show, but will likely leave the Parkscope bois taking cheap shots at moi.

Gringotts has some major design flaws that, barring some miraculous 11th hour fix, is going to result in a lesser AND LOUDER experience than what was intended.

The bottom line is Grongotts' ride system is extremely noisy. And the folks making decisions apparently didn't get just how loud and attempt to mitigate it.

As a friend explained, the attraction has over 300 AC drive motors in an enclosed building and very little care, concern or attention was considered acoustically to what happens when everything is going. With vehicle propulsion using tires it sounds like a construction zone/factory when just one or two RVs are moving through the show building.

So what is UNI doing to fix the situation?

Thus far they have been trying different materials on the bottom of the vehicles AND TURNING THE AUDIO UP! Seriously? They are trying to remedy a situation where it is TOO LOUD BY MAKING IT LOUDER!!! Yes, those UNI guys are geniuses, not like those Disney geniuses.

As near as I can tell, the lack of forethought shows just how the inexperienced newbies (much like at Disney, given too much authority without the cred to back it up) are not being watched. As my friend said, ''This is a major issue that is being shoved under the rug. Let's hope the new materials make a difference because as it stands now the show will be affected if this remains''

Now ... back to Disney pervs ... and other fun stuff!

Interesting update and an issue they avoided back in 2004 with Revenge of the Mummy. See, back then they had Premier Rides design variable speed linear induction motors to go around that issue. Think of them as controllable electric magnetic motors that don't touch the cars. Those are the strange black boxes mounted over the track spine in the dark ride section of the ride. The main advantage is that beside a low level "humm" electrical sound, there is no loud noise. The only pusher tires used are in the final brake run and in the station, since they have to hold trains in place.

WDI also ran into the same noise issue when designing Crush Coaster at Walt Disney Studios Paris. The ride system they picked make loud noises when the cars go over the pusher tires. So, they had Maurer-Sohne (the german company who designed and built the coaster) make the dark ride section a gravity driven section. Meaning, except for a brake zone in the middle, the Shells coast on their own to the second lift.

The reason I heard why the DC motors with tires were selected for Gringott was "power consumption".

Funmeister

It depends. The only place I have seen them are in Tokyo and only for certain shows (Tiki Room is one ... the Genie 3D show at TDS is another ... I think there are 2-3 more).

HK is almost entirely in English. Paris is generally split English and French, but not where you don't know what is going on.

Even Tokyo, some attractions (generally older ones like Pirates) feature a lot of English. But the newer ones are almost entirely Japanese. It doesn't affect enjoyment at all.

About the only time I wish I had a translator was on the Jungle Cruise!

The only attraction that really gave you a choice was HISTA. The back few rows had headsets and you could select from a few languages. Other than that...like Spirit said..split betwen French and English.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thanks, I am intrigued to see Disney's Marvel theme. The Uni one never cut it for me though it's not bad. I would prefer the modern real world setting that the movies have recently brought to life as opposed to the comic look in Uni and similarly used with Roger Rabbit.

I don't see much of a difference based on the character meet and greets at DL ... and the Spidey one that just opened at DSP. ... The only kewl Marvel project I have seen was artwork for the licensed Dubai project that fell through years ago ...

RSoxNo1

No. I don't.

I think he is very interested in finding out just what type of boondoggle he ignorantly approved has brought to WDW because execs like George Kalogridis and Meg Crofton and Nick Franklin are not known far and wide for their honesty.
Is it conceivable that your view on Iger is slowly changing? It seems in the last few days you've intimated that he may actually make incognito visits and could be looking to make those necessary changes that many have been clamoring for?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Is it conceivable that your view on Iger is slowly changing? It seems in the last few days you've intimated that he may actually make incognito visits and could be looking to make those necessary changes that many have been clamoring for?

Last post before dinner ... no, my view on him hasn't changed at all.

What I am stating is that his view on everything from NGE/MM+ to his P&R management team may well be changing.

ParentsOf4

I think he is very interested in finding out just what type of boondoggle he ignorantly approved has brought to WDW because execs like George Kalogridis and Meg Crofton and Nick Franklin are not known far and wide for their honesty.
What I am stating is that his view on everything from NGE/MM+ to his P&R management team may well be changing.
Outwardly, everything is all sunshine and roses but, behind closed doors, some on Wall Street are beginning to get pretty tired of Iger's continued BS answers to all their MyMagic+ questions.

Iger's performance at the last earnings call ("can't quantify [MyMagic"] from a financial perspective yet" and "not even close to being able to quantify [MyMagic+]") didn't win anyone over.

You use the word "boondoggle". Behind closed doors, some are using much worse language.

Iger was a Wall Street Golden Boy. Some are beginning to wonder if he's just laid his first major egg.

janoimagine

The fact that they are letting actors ride the ride to shoot a commercial says it is ready to open. All I was saying was that if it wasn't ready, they wouldn't allow people to ride the thing... Cms have just gotten their work schedules for the ride as well, so this thing will be open in a few weeks!

I bet the talent had to sign their life away ... it's amazing how quickly people will sign a release when you offer them a $1200 flat rate including agency comission.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom