Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

StageFrenzy

That ridiculous campaign had nothing to do with him getting a huge promotion and better job with CBS.

And the logo does look like crap, but Nike is going thru as many teams/universities as it can to 'update' logos/looks (that's all code for sell more merchandise to fans).

It's sorta like WDW going back to using the original 1971-1996 logo on lots of merchandise, but not simply making it the official logo again.

Care to explain how a 5 year contract with CBS is a cancellation?

The twitter account for Colbert's show took a joke he made on the show out of context and put it on twitter. The joke was condemning the charity set up by the Redskins owner and the joke made fun of Asian people. Many jumped to twitter with the #cancelcolbert cry because they did 3 seconds of research and don't understand what the word satire means.

We all are on the same wavelength folks, sarcasm/jokes appear to have distorted said waveform.

PhotoDave219

The twitter account for Colbert's show took a joke he made on the show out of context and put it on twitter. The joke was condemning the charity set up by the Redskins owner and the joke made fun of Asian people. Many jumped to twitter with the #cancelcolbert cry because they did 3 seconds of research and don't understand what the word satire means.

I'm well familiar with what exactly happened… Dan Snyder is still a scumbag.

BrianLo

Were you as bothered by the April fools Lutz post as I was? I found micechat relatively late and even the tail end of Lutz was usually balanced in appraisals. Yeah he had an agenda, but it was clear it was for the "fans" and of course for him. I'm going to cast some aspirations on him but he liked the power of being "in the know" and being the "voice of the Disney fans". Who wouldn't right? For the most part he used that voice for the better of the parks and the fan community.

This might be the most gullible/naive question on my behalf... but I was under the impression Al Lutz actually wrote the April's Fools article, or so Dusty said. Was that false?

Or is your criticism that he came back merely to make a mockery of things?

Nubs70

The Atlantic Cities had an article recently on why social media orchestrated street protests fails to drive meaningful change. It mostly points to a lack of strong organization and an easy means of being casually involved during the moment.
The lack of change is because social media is cheap. Social media considers you an active participant with a the effort of a mouse click. It liken social media to the concept of "Cheap Grace" as postulated by Dietrich Bohnhoeffer.

The Empress Lilly

My father grew up redneck. I mean real redneck. No running water, no electricity, no car, dirt road in front of the house, eating what they grew, raised, or hunted.

My father always loved his family, always worked hard, always paid his debts, always donated generously at church, always spoke politely, always held the door open for strangers, always dressed respectfully.

The "level of people visiting WDW" has nothing to do with it.

The attitude of the people visiting WDW does.
I would visit WDW in the early eighties. Even though I was really young myself, my family would always leave impressed, even shocked, by the sheer level of courtesy of Americans, their public manners and discipline. Courteous, smiling, generous. And this was middle class America, not upper class or even upper middle, but mainstream America, the ones more likely on their day off to take their children to see The Rescuers than a museum.

When I visit WDW now, the prices have shot up, guests stay at expensive resorts (and that includes WDW values) instead of off-site, they eat at table service restaurants instead of the cheap burgers of yore. But their manners are abyssmal. It is the Brazilian upper class offloading their brats on a $10000 shopping and shouting trip; those Brits whose idea of an ultimate holiday is a Mediterranean binge drinking island or a theme park; Duck Dynasty Americans. They bathe in cash, but their manners are a far cry from the clientele of old.

Animaniac93-98

Our first look at a promo with a Marvel character next to a Disney castle:

BlAhuuOIgAALlWH.jpg:large

It's just for a M&G starting a week today (and for some strange reason ending mid-July), but if you ever wanted to see the juxtaposition, there it is.

jt04

One very important thing left out of the above post, but that I feel really needs to stand on its own is that Disney's victory in Social Media is very much like Iger and Rasulo and Staggs crowing over quarterly earnings, it's a short term victory. Nothing more.

And it misses a very important point: there is no back-and-forth when dealing with Disney (or its top whores like Brigante, Mongello, the DIS people, the Mommy Bloggers) because it's all one-sided.

This is TRUE social media because we can discuss, banter, debate and argue points. We communicate (sometimes more effectively than others). We are the SOCIAL in social media. We don't all sing the same tune.

It was ceaseless negativity as was witnessed at the LP forum that ruined that place and not the mouse. Too many people are deluded into thinking the Disney experience of their childhood can be recaptured. We live in a much more cynical society thanks in large part to social media that is not based in reality. Too many people live with a false worldview.

The other fact is that, like everything else, WDW had to change with the times. As I have said many times, WDW is a victim of its own success. And whatever happens now or in the future has to be looked at through that lens. Or else one might eventually sound like nothing more than a whining malcontent with a personal axe to grind. To prove this point many complain there is no investment happening in the parks when quite clearly it is. Obviously we all want to see more. That will never change.

Constructive criticism and honest critique gets results. Which is why you, those you mislead and/or the mouse will never destroy the magic of this forum.

jt04

Our first look at a promo with a Marvel character next to a Disney castle:

BlAhuuOIgAALlWH.jpg:large

It's just for a M&G starting a week today (and for some strange reason ending mid-July), but if you ever wanted to see the juxtaposition, there it is.

Don't worry. That web is obviously attached to a third gate. Heh.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
It isn't dressing to impress, it is dressing to show respect for both yourself and fellow vacationers and the establishment you are patronizing. I have no problem with cargo shorts and a tee if you are in a theme park or dining at a QSR. I absolutely DO have a problem with you dressing like that at a fine dining establishment where I am paying $43 for my entree a la carte. ... Disney now caters to a trashier clientele who has no clue how to dress for fine dining because the closest they come back home is Friday night at the Red Lobster.

3 words: Disney Dining Plan - the cost of their meals are already paid for so they don't even think about it. It's sad really. It's getting like this on DCL too...not NEARLY as bad, but it's getting there.

Sevier

It was ceaseless negativity as was witnessed at the LP forum that ruined that place and not the mouse. Too many people are deluded into thinking the Disney experience of their childhood can be recaptured. We live in a much more cynical society thanks in large part to social media that is not based in reality. Too many people live with a false worldview.

The other fact is that, like everything else, WDW had to change with the times. As I have said many times, WDW is a victim of its own success. And whatever happens now or in the future has to be looked at through that lens. Or else one might eventually sound like nothing more than a whining malcontent with a personal axe to grind. To prove this point many complain there is no investment happening in the parks when quite clearly it is. Obviously we all want to see more. That will never change.

Constructive criticism and honest critique gets results. Which is why you, those you mislead and/or the mouse will never destroy the magic of this forum.

This is so perfect I don't even know where to start. It just is. Sadly, the spirit disciples will just counter this by piling on the conceit and call you a duster.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

This is so perfect I don't even know where to start. It just is. Sadly, the spirit disciples will just counter this by piling on the conceit and call you a duster.
It is really easy to avoid the kind of posts that you both say you don't like - stay out of this thread. There are MANY threads throughout the forum that are extremely positive and may be more to your liking. Seriously, stay out of threads that you don't like - it is in the best interests of everyone.

Animaniac93-98

It is really easy to avoid the kind of posts that you both say you don't like - stay out of this thread. There are MANY threads throughout the forum that are extremely positive and may be more to your liking. Seriously, stay out of threads that you don't like - it is in the best interests of everyone.

Except the best place to draw attenion to yourself is to go where everyone else is.

ParentsOf4

It was ceaseless negativity as was witnessed at the LP forum that ruined that place and not the mouse. Too many people are deluded into thinking the Disney experience of their childhood can be recaptured. We live in a much more cynical society thanks in large part to social media that is not based in reality.
What are you talking about, a more cynical society?

Sorry but you obviously don't remember the 1970s.

Nixon, Watergate, Vietnam War, gas shortages, Stagflation, rampant drug use, meaningless disco sex, urban decay, fear of global cooling (yes, global cooling), Three Mile Island, Love Canal.

Movies such as Marathon Man, Three Days of the Condor, Taxi Driver, The French Connection, Dog Day Afternoon, Dirty Harry, Deliverance, Jeremiah Johnson, MASH, Little Big Man, The China Syndrome, Parallax View, Rollerball (the original), Westworld, and Network were all representative of the cynicism and angst of the time.

Compared to the 1970s, these are days of wine and roses.

That's part of what made WDW (opened in 1971) so special.

Of course, the 1980s and 1990s were totally awesome and so was WDW! :)

People haven't "magically" become more critical of WDW in recent years. Today's criticism of WDW has nothing to do with some recent uptick in cynicism.

Today's criticism of WDW has to do with a declining product caused by a change in Disney leadership who view WDW as a profit center instead of as a theme park.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom