Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
''Our CMs are the smartest people out there. They talk with our Guests every day. That's why we pay them $8 an hour (less for internationals and CPers).'' Gary Buchanan of the DPB at the Mommy Bloggers Whorefest at the DLR.

(OK, that last sentence I just added, but I am sure Gary thinks that!!!)

truecoat

The Disney store seems to mirror the parks strategy as of late. I hadn't been in a Disney store in a while but I realized why very quickly as all the product is geared toward the under 10 age group.

There was a sign outside about celebrating the 50th of IASW in the store. That's what piqued my interest in the first place. I asked if they had any merchandise...nope.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Unfortunately a quick visit to your local Disney Store is all you need to be reminded that they think being a children's brand is their main driver in most things that can be purchased in large quantities. Heck, a stop into most any store at WDW will also reinforce it. I don't even go into Disney Stores anymore, because I know they carry absolutely nothing that would interest me.

But we already have a thread about that in another sub-forum.

Yes, but visit any Disney Store and one of the first things you'll see is a HUGE Marvel presence. There are probably more items with Captain America available at a typical store than with Donald Duck.

themarchhare

You need to visit Busch gardens Williamsburg. It's a wonderful, beautiful park that has an amazing assortment of things to do. The coasters are some of the best in the world and are very enjoyable, of course if you are into that kind of thing. Definitely one of my favorite theme parks to visit outside of WDW.

It's not what it used to be. For every George K. at WDW, there's a Scott Gasparich at BGW. Just check out the BGW forums if you don't believe me. :(

http://bgwfans.com/2013/mix-it-up-cast-walk-off-and-cancellation/ - just one example of his wrath

WDW1974

Original Poster
For a trip of a lifetime, my imagination is a bit bigger than Central Florida. Ireland, Australia, Paris.... Those are trips to go all-in for.

Yes. This isn't 1971 or even 1982. ... I can't imagine how anyone's trip of a lifetime could ever be to Central Florida.

I've done Ireland and Paris (many times), never Australia yet (almost did a miles trip in 2007 for the Aussie Open), but I've already been to soooo many places (some in the USA, some a world away) that are places I could see folks saving up and planning for. O-Town?!?!?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't think it's that as much as it is people just getting in way over the head with debt... Keeping up with the Jones' and the general entitlement mentality that is running rampant in our country. Screw debt, the government will save us!

Like I said in another response, I'd agree if it were 2004. Not in 2014. Credit isn't that plentiful. And folks who look like they shop at Walmart and eat at the Golden Coral just aren't people who are going to whip out a Citi Rewards Card with a $17,500 limit and charge a WDW vacation. A decade ago, well, you may have been right ... but not now.

As for people's actions in public or how they present themselves, I see two sides to that. On one half of the coin, you have Eddie Griswold. On the other half, you have the people who prefer to just stay comfy in shorts and a t-shirt. For the most part, middle class doesn't dress to impress like they used to. Kinda like looking back to when flying was an occasion. The whole Generation X thing and rise of the tech sector youngsters taught people they didn't need to wear a suite. Many put focus on function over form. I've never felt that I need to impress someone with my presence. Much of it is just frivolous spending on faux status symbols. For me, I prefer to stay comfy in my t-shirt and cargo shorts, but then again we don't book reservations in the finer dining establishments. The ones that we do are for the kids (or wife). The food isn't worth it for the most part, but we're kinda spoiled with good food in Charleston :)

It isn't dressing to impress, it is dressing to show respect for both yourself and fellow vacationers and the establishment you are patronizing. I have no problem with cargo shorts and a tee if you are in a theme park or dining at a QSR. I absolutely DO have a problem with you dressing like that at a fine dining establishment where I am paying $43 for my entree a la carte. ... Disney now caters to a trashier clientele who has no clue how to dress for fine dining because the closest they come back home is Friday night at the Red Lobster.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Seriously, how did you not make it to EPCOT?

Illness, other issues coming up, poor planning on my part (not that I need to plan, but more arrange things) and then pouring rain on the final day. It is the first time since 1982 that I have visited WDW (even for just a day) and not gone to EPCOT. Being a fanboi, I am still pouting and quite unhappy!

Captain Chaos

Yes, but visit any Disney Store and one of the first things you'll see is a HUGE Marvel presence. There are probably more items with Captain America available at a typical store than with Donald Duck.
Huge Marvel presence, huge princess presence.... Princess stuff sells... marvel stuff sits on the shelves...

My local Disney Store was finally put out of its misery... Now all we have close by (30 minute drive) is a store in an outlet mall... Always crowded but many people walking out with no bags in hand...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I read earlier u mentioned that Uni's potter 2nd phase should be ready by memorial day.

Is that a general time frame or for soft openings?

im asking because my AP for uni expires june 1st and would love to be able to check it out b4 updating my ap.

I might want to start spending time at UNI around May 20th if I were local and had time.

RivieraJenn

It isn't dressing to impress, it is dressing to show respect for both yourself and fellow vacationers. I have no problem with cargo shorts and a tee if you are in a theme park or dining at a QSR. I absolutely DO have a problem with you dressing like that at a fine dining establishment where I am paying $43 for my entree a la carte. ... Disney now caters to a trashier clientele who has no clue how to dress for fine dining because the closest they come back home is Friday night at the Red Lobster.

I appreciate that you made this distinction. I usually can't keep up with your threads for long (300 some-odd pages are just too much to wade through...), so I've never seen you clarify these types of statements on guest appearances. And I've always been baffled by what some here would consider appropriate day-wear for an outdoor theme park in a city that's hotter than the seventh circle of hell 275 days of the year. Sorry, but I am not wearing heels and pearls for a day at the Magic Kingdom. But I'm also not strolling up to V&A in a tank top and tennis shoes. Venue and activity should inform attire. But I don't see that as simply a WDW problem. Go the the theatre, the ballet, the symphony and look around at what people are wearing. Many will be appropriately dressed. And many will not be. I think it's much more wide-spread than just Disney. I work in international programs at a major university, and sometimes I'm shocked at what people wear to the office.

TalkingHead

In honor of the Social Media fest, I thought it would be apropos to mention the recent controversy over FSU changing its Seminole logo.

By all appearances, the University and Nike saw an opportunity to "rebrand" FSU athletics in the aftermath of the football team's National Championship -- and sell a bunch of new merchandise with the new "brand" logo. A photo of the new logo (which I'm no fan of) was leaked on Twitter a few days ago. There was an outcry among many FSU fans on social media. Petitions to keep the old logo and the like.

Since social media is so democratic and allows people to have a meaningful voice in conversations they might otherwise be left out of, these social media protests must have had some effect, right?

Well, as of today, the new logo is painted at midfield at Doak-Campbell Stadium. It's plastered all over the facilities and the new merchandise. The social media "protests" didn't amount to anything.

Sorta reminiscent of the #CancelColbert "protest" last week. (I'd love to have drinks with Spirit and rail about the stupidity of hashtag activism...)

Oh, well. At least these Social Media conferences continue to push this idea that social media is something other than the overlords trying to control the message.

Off topic, while I'm not a fan of the new Seminoles logo (looks like Fat Elvis in the throes of passion with bacon pieces substituted for war paint), the new jerseys get a big thumbs up from me.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I appreciate that you made this distinction. I usually can't keep up with your threads for long (300 some-odd pages are just too much to wade through...), so I've never seen you clarify these types of statements on guest appearances. And I've always been baffled by what some here would consider appropriate day-wear for an outdoor theme park in a city that's hotter than the seventh circle of hell 275 days of the year. Sorry, but I am not wearing heels and pearls for a day at the Magic Kingdom. But I'm also not strolling up to V&A in a tank top and tennis shoes. Venue and activity should inform attire. But I don't see that as simply a WDW problem. Go the the theatre, the ballet, the symphony and look around at what people are wearing. Many will be appropriately dressed. And many will not be. I think it's much more wide-spread than just Disney. I work in international programs at a major university, and sometimes I'm shocked at what people wear to the office.

Oh, you are absolutely correct. It isn't simply a Disney problem. But there was a time when Disney sought to raise its guests up. Now, it dumbs its offerings down and allows almost anything to go, so long as they are making money.

StageFrenzy

In honor of the Social Media fest, I thought it would be apropos to mention the recent controversy over FSU changing its Seminole logo.

By all appearances, the University and Nike saw an opportunity to "rebrand" FSU athletics in the aftermath of the football team's National Championship -- and sell a bunch of new merchandise with the new "brand" logo. A photo of the new logo (which I'm no fan of) was leaked on Twitter a few days ago. There was an outcry among many FSU fans on social media. Petitions to keep the old logo and the like.

Since social media is so democratic and allows people to have a meaningful voice in conversations they might otherwise be left out of, these social media protests must have had some effect, right?

Well, as of today, the new logo is painted at midfield at Doak-Campbell Stadium. It's plastered all over the facilities and the new merchandise. The social media "protests" didn't amount to anything.

Sorta reminiscent of the #CancelColbert "protest" last week. (I'd love to have drinks with Spirit and rail about the stupidity of hashtag activism...)

Oh, well. At least these Social Media conferences continue to push this idea that social media is something other than the overlords trying to control the message.

Off topic, while I'm not a fan of the new Seminoles logo (looks like Fat Elvis in the throes of passion with bacon pieces substituted for war paint), the new jerseys get a big thumbs up from me.

#CancelColbert was successful, he will not be on comedy central after 2014... If the Seminole Tribe is ok with it, I'm ok with it. Does still look crap though.

ParentsOf4

Have to chime in about the level of people visiting WDW

Listen, say what you want about how people were dressing or talking, these kids that are visiting with their parents are a product of their parents. Do not blame them. If anyone in this day in age can afford to bring their child to a Disney Park (which is STILL the leader in what children view as their dream vacation) I applaud them for the memories they provide their kids. I work with kids EVERYDAY (yes caps to get my point across) and none talk about going to Universal in the same way they do getting to stand in a god forbidden line to see Elsa.

I work with mostly low income people who wouldnt eat at Boma. So while I may have a personal disdain for the Honey Boo Boo direction of America, I see it as negative to sit on our computers and compare what we feel the "well traveled" visitors are against the "less traveled".

Off soapbox
My father grew up redneck. I mean real redneck. No running water, no electricity, no car, dirt road in front of the house, eating what they grew, raised, or hunted.

My father always loved his family, always worked hard, always paid his debts, always donated generously at church, always spoke politely, always held the door open for strangers, always dressed respectfully.

The "level of people visiting WDW" has nothing to do with it.

The attitude of the people visiting WDW does.

RivieraJenn

Oh, you are absolutely correct. It isn't simply a Disney problem. But there was a time when Disney sought to raise its guests up. Now, it dumbs its offerings down and allows almost anything to go, so long as they are making money.

Agreed. Why have a dress code if you're not going to hold guests to it? And, frankly, the existing dress code for Disney's signatures is pretty lax. If you can't at least meet those standards...

Californian Elitist

''Our CMs are the smartest people out there. They talk with our Guests every day. That's why we pay them $8 an hour (less for internationals and CPers).'' Gary Buchanan of the DPB at the Mommy Bloggers Whorefest at the DLR.

(OK, that last sentence I just added, but I am sure Gary thinks that!!!)

Ha! Duh they talk to guests everyday, it's inevitable. What a silly comment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom