Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

Soarin' Over Pgh

That sounds awesome, who is miranda should I know her? lol!

I wish the wife liked the show, she's such a trashy tv watcher. But I have to admit, breaking Amish is fascinating!

Megan is a h or rile person

Lol sorry, she's a good friend of mine...I don't think she frequents this board but she is a disney fan as well.

I don't watch reality tv except Face Off and the Jim Henson creature shop challenge...even though it was rather weak, I still like it. It's that pesky artist in me, I love that creative stuff.

Edit, I love Mad Men but this season is kinda...dull.

I watch more on netflix than I do regular tv, tbh.

bhg469

Lol sorry, she's a good friend of mine...I don't think she frequents this board but she is a disney fan as well.

I don't watch reality tv except Face Off and the Jim Henson creature shop challenge...even though it was rather weak, I still like it. It's that pesky artist in me, I love that creative stuff.

That's a pretty neat show, just never got into it. I have to admit this is a golden age of tv. So many good shows on now it's no wonder why I'm gaining weight :)

Soarin' Over Pgh

That's a pretty neat show, just never got into it. I have to admit this is a golden age of tv. So many good shows on now it's no wonder why I'm gaining weight :)

Haha! What else do you watch?

I'm really digging Disney dropping some movies on netflix. It just so happens to be the ones I don't have on DVD/blu ray. This movie on hbo right now is such a downer, I'm gonna need to be something happier on before I go to bed.

bhg469

Derek, is Ricky Gervais's show that season was on netflix, not sure if it still is but I have no problem admitting that jerk made me sniffle a few times but in a good way. He plays a "slow" adult that works/lives in a nursing home but it's not like they treat mentally slow adults as the joke, it's more like he's innocent and pure. It's mostly British humor but I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected and the end is just really good.

bhg469

I can't believe I didn't mention "the league" it is not about fantasy football even though it sort of is. By far the funniest show I have ever seen, and even my wife likes it!

CDavid

Part of that problem is that it is pure conjecture that MM+ is a debacle. We simply do not know. It did some things that we didn't like so therefore it was a failure. Meanwhile, crowds continue to show up at the gates paying big bucks to get in. That is the true test of failure, not that we wish it were. Concerning Spectro, again we are forgetting that they may have wanted to trash that parade for whatever reasons they might have, we do not know that. Once again, I have to question what harm came from not doing anything with Pleasure Island. Seems like they have now taken that opportunity, planned or otherwise, to do much more then what was originally thought.

The only thing that I see as unadulterated stupidity is letting attraction buildings stay empty and giving the appearance of a ghost town in the parks. That is something that registers subtly in the minds of people without them even being aware of it consciously. It shows up both in Epcot and DHS, but as a real target for concern is DHS. It is a park without a focus. I don't think that they really know what to do with it.

Even if you discount the specific examples cited - and they should not be so casually explained away - there still seems to be plenty of blame to go around, in completely avoidable mistakes and problems for which the powers that be have not been held responsible. Indeed, you are absolutely correct about the numbers of shuttered buildings and structures in the parks, which Disney seems perfectly content to leave empty. Sometimes this just defies explanation; Quick-service restaurants at the Magic Kingdom can be absolutely mobbed, with long lines, a lack of tables, and rushed service - yet at least the Adventureland Veranda and (often) Tortuga Tavern remain closed.

I think pheneix has a very good point about considering Imagineerings role in some of the company's half-baked, lame decisions which defy all rationale explanation (Frozen in Norway, for one), but there certainly seems to be more than sufficient blame to be placed at the executives' feet.

Still, we know for a fact that MyMagic+/NGE has serious problems. The rollout has been late and anything but smooth, it is hilariously over budget, and does not appear (at this point) that it can ever drive the promised 11% increase in guest spending. It is that spending level, and not that "crowds continue to show up at the gates paying big bucks to get in" which will more determine the success of the program. The crowds would pretty much have came anyway, but it is beyond my comprehension how something so expensive could be botched so badly and yet the persons responsible not be held accountable.

For SpectroMagic, we are talking about the loss of a multi-million dollar investment. Perhaps you are correct and someone, somewhere with an agenda (or a budget target to meet) did want the parade gone, but you don't have to let it rot to accomplish that (remember the Lights of Winter?). It is difficult to believe the person(s) responsible for killing the parade would not face the consequences.

Finally, the real problem with a shuttered Pleasure Island was that it was in the center of the shopping complex, and guests had to walk through a largely closed area from the (popular) Marketplace to reach the West Side. However, an open Pleasure Island previously had shops and restaurants open during the day, and it was obvious that the buildings were not empty and abandoned - the clubs were there and would open in the evening. That is very different than the actually shuttered club buildings and largely abandoned island guests later had to walk past.

Pleasure Island was a place that only a tiny percentage of WDW guest ever went to (probably why it closed down). It affected very few people

Again, a (largely) closed island stood in the way of people getting around Downtown Disney, and in that sense if affected many guests (discouraging many from visiting the West Side at all).

MM+ will only be judged a success if, and only if, it can be proven that it has organically increases income by 11% without price increases and other forms of financial obfuscation.

I don't see any possible way that will happen, and therefore MM+ will indeed be seen as a failure. They might well get the thing running like clockwork, but all that money was spent to make money, not improve the guest experience. For wasting $2 billion+ of company money, I am expecting more fall guys.

We don't do the judging, they do. If it isn't exactly what they planned, they will adjust their goals. It's good to be King!

This is a Disney discussion board, where we discuss - and yes, judge - the merits and failings of many facets of The Walt Disney Company. It's not like Disney is ever going to admit such a failure publicly regardless of what they admit within the executive ranks. All we have are our own best judgments (best guesses, much of the time) and observations as how it has affected the guest experience.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I can't believe I didn't mention "the league" it is not about fantasy football even though it sort of is. By far the funniest show I have ever seen, and even my wife likes it!

Ohhh, I'll have to try it out! I need a good comedy to balance all the drama I'm hooked on right now.

I like the shorter seasons. That way there really aren't any "filler" episodes and the story can progress in a timely manner...

With that being said, imagine if Lost would have been written like that...

I didn't watch Lost when it was on tv, I watched it all on netflix last year...even after the season ending spoilers were said here ;) it was a decent show but really crashed and burned towards the end (tasteless? Sorry) so it was hard to NOT see that one coming. I watched it at my own speed...I like that about netflix.

Funmeister

Sorry, numbers are on my side. Clearly they don't fit your agenda.

Pleasure Island was fine until they took down the turnstiles. They made plenty of profits with little issues until they invited the general public inside.

Pleasure Island was NOT fine until they "took down the turnstiles." They had major problems prior to the "test" you keep talking about. I do not remember seeing you in all of those meetings at Maingate Mall giving your opinion about it. The problems came from the sales in each club NOT turnstile clicks. You may have "numbers" (wooooo) but they are wrong. Suck it up buttercup!

TalkingHead

Someone needs to tell the Universal fanbois that extended queues don't need to be themed to the gills. They're rarely used after the opening rush. The one for Gringotts is hidden away so that it doesn't disrupt the street scene.

Oh, and it might be worth seeing what it looks like once it's open. I guess an aerial photo from a helicopter is enough evidence to start the gnashing of teeth.

bhg469

Someone needs to tell the Universal fanbois that extended queues don't need to be themed to the gills. They're rarely used after the opening rush. The one for Gringotts is hidden away so that it doesn't disrupt the street scene.

Oh, and it might be worth seeing what it looks like once it's open. I guess an aerial photo from a helicopter is enough evidence to start the gnashing of teeth.

At least one of the Parkscope guys has gone full over it.
I saw some uproar. It's silly because the actual queue is probably going to be great. I care about themed queues but they don't need to be a mile long.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
tomb.jpg

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/memorial-day.884659/

Goofyernmost

I don't see any possible way that will happen, and therefore MM+ will indeed be seen as a failure. They might well get the thing running like clockwork, but all that money was spent to make money, not improve the guest experience. For wasting $2 billion+ of company money, I am expecting more fall guys.
I wanted to start with this because it is a major fail on our part to not only guess at how much they have spent but, it shouldn't be reported it as fact when we have no way of knowing. Did it go over estimates? I don't see how it could not have been over especially with the problems at roll out. However, to just decide it is a failure is hardly justifiable. Everyone is looking at it like the money comes from increased sales which almost none of us could imagine how that would happen right from the beginning. It had modules that were set as an improved guest experience and from the first hand reports that I have seen from people that were willing to give it a go without any preconceived notions, it has done that as well. The main thing about the system was to connect all aspects of the theme park business into a new and very much needed IT system that enables them to better plan personnel needs and inventory requirements. That may be where the hidden return is and we will never know. Disney doesn't divulge that type of information.

Even if you discount the specific examples cited - and they should not be so casually explained away - there still seems to be plenty of blame to go around, in completely avoidable mistakes and problems for which the powers that be have not been held responsible. Indeed, you are absolutely correct about the numbers of shuttered buildings and structures in the parks, which Disney seems perfectly content to leave empty. Sometimes this just defies explanation; Quick-service restaurants at the Magic Kingdom can be absolutely mobbed, with long lines, a lack of tables, and rushed service - yet at least the Adventureland Veranda and (often) Tortuga Tavern remain closed.

I think pheneix has a very good point about considering Imagineerings role in some of the company's half-baked, lame decisions which defy all rationale explanation (Frozen in Norway, for one), but there certainly seems to be more than sufficient blame to be placed at the executives' feet.

Still, we know for a fact that MyMagic+/NGE has serious problems. The rollout has been late and anything but smooth, it is hilariously over budget, and does not appear (at this point) that it can ever drive the promised 11% increase in guest spending. It is that spending level, and not that "crowds continue to show up at the gates paying big bucks to get in" which will more determine the success of the program. The crowds would pretty much have came anyway, but it is beyond my comprehension how something so expensive could be botched so badly and yet the persons responsible not be held accountable.

For SpectroMagic, we are talking about the loss of a multi-million dollar investment. Perhaps you are correct and someone, somewhere with an agenda (or a budget target to meet) did want the parade gone, but you don't have to let it rot to accomplish that (remember the Lights of Winter?). It is difficult to believe the person(s) responsible for killing the parade would not face the consequences.
Here's the problem with that. A company the size of Disney does not make singular decisions. They are all done by committee. There is no one specific person to "blame" when things go south on them. They might find a scape goat in the executive that was assigned to "make it happen", but the real blame should be on the people that decided that all those things were OK. That goes with MM+, Spectro, unused dining areas (which is a huge guest services issue) or anything else you might consider. It would be impossible to pinpoint a single individual and hold them totally responsible. That is why an executive position in todays world is so secure. Even if they get fired they have golden parachutes that enable them to sit on a beach in the Bahama's for the rest of their lives with a huge smile on their faces.

Finally, the real problem with a shuttered Pleasure Island was that it was in the center of the shopping complex, and guests had to walk through a largely closed area from the (popular) Marketplace to reach the West Side. However, an open Pleasure Island previously had shops and restaurants open during the day, and it was obvious that the buildings were not empty and abandoned - the clubs were there and would open in the evening. That is very different than the actually shuttered club buildings and largely abandoned island guests later had to walk past.

Agreed, it's a bad show, but, one doesn't have to pass threw it to get to DTD, it is just handier in some cases to do so.

This is a Disney discussion board, where we discuss - and yes, judge - the merits and failings of many facets of The Walt Disney Company. It's not like Disney is ever going to admit such a failure publicly regardless of what they admit within the executive ranks. All we have are our own best judgments (best guesses, much of the time) and observations as how it has affected the guest experience.
I don't disagree with that at all. I don't say judgmental with a twisted expression on my face. It is a word to describe the fact that when stated a certain way, it sounds like we actually know anything, and we don't. Disney, if nothing else, has mastered the ability to keep the details of finances to themselves. They know how to juggle accounts and make it next to impossible to know what was spent and where it was spent. As long as a post is worded in a way that makes it clear that we are only spitting out our own unproven opinions, (which, btw, is all that I ever do, I know no one on the inside.)

lazyboy97o

I wanted to start with this because it is a major fail on our part to not only guess at how much they have spent but, it shouldn't be reported it as fact when we have no way of knowing. Did it go over estimates? I don't see how it could not have been over especially with the problems at roll out. However, to just decide it is a failure is hardly justifiable. Everyone is looking at it like the money comes from increased sales which almost none of us could imagine how that would happen right from the beginning. It had modules that were set as an improved guest experience and from the first hand reports that I have seen from people that were willing to give it a go without any preconceived notions, it has done that as well. The main thing about the system was to connect all aspects of the theme park business into a new and very much needed IT system that enables them to better plan personnel needs and inventory requirements. That may be where the hidden return is and we will never know. Disney doesn't divulge that type of information.
If MyMagic+ was just an infrastructure upgrade analysts would not be pestering about it generating revenue on the quarterly conference calls. Disney fully intended to monetize system, increase revenue through its implementation have this accomplished before now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom