Spirited Spring Break News, Observations & Thoughts ...

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Of course, it would probably be most helpful to have a direct exit gate from F! straight out of the park. Given it's location, it would be easy enough to do and you could place a small part time merch shop there to entice people as they leave since they aren't going out the main entrance.
If I'm not mistaken, when the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater was constructed, the path that exits the far side of the stroller parking and loops around the B&TB theatre (Perimeter Road) was supposed to connect to the path at the entrance of the boat dock, providing a direct exit to park transportation. I don't think they ever used it as someone figured out the $ left on the table if guests had exited without passing a single shop.

Soarin' Over Pgh

..... The clientele has changed largely at WDW resorts and folks who are Walmart shoppers never could afford the CBR (back when it was $64 a night), so how those folks can now (in an era where I just paid $4.32 a gallon to fill up -- so distasteful that I just put $40 in and left the tank a quarter empty) afford to stay at the Disney Deluxe resorts can't be they all won PowerBall.

And government assistance checks only go so far. ... But since 9/11, the military industrial complex has grown hugely, as has spying on Americans. Those jobs are very well paying. So, many folks who may have been making $30K at best 15 years ago, may well be making $230,000 now ... I know this can be hot button and all. But Americans are not doing well and this idea that folks who look like they just climbed off the Honey Boo Boo express suddenly affording $500 a night accommodations or even $250 a night just isn't rational by any other way I can think of........

credit-cards5.jpg

These are how people are paying for those $500/night rooms who don't have a lot of money to begin with and are vacationing at WDW.

There is no "saving" or "putting aside" or "vacation funding" for anyone who is middle-lower class (can we get a new name for this? I really hate the term "poor", even if it's so suiting for a great deal of us) and people are doing what they can to live, and trying to "live a little" with a vacation. Sad fact, but true. Unfortunately there is an all-American mindset of keeping up with the Joneses and making sure their young children get to WDW every year because they want their kids to have a happy childhood, nevermind Mom and Dad never being home because they're always at work and there's a lot of stress and tension in the household because of bills and lack of money. People want the best for their kids. It's become ingrained and beaten into our heads that above all else, the kids have to have everything they want. Including vacations, money and affording it be damned.

Sometimes it's very hard to read this forums and see the same groups of people going to WDW -who don't live in Florida- every couple of months, several times a year. What kind of jobs do you guys have where you can afford this? Or, as I suspect in several cases, what kind of job does your husband have?

And of course, this is all IMHO. But FWIW, that's my take on your statement, @WDW1974

Nah, we still have some upper middle class folks left. The closer to the bottom you are, the further you fell after the 2008 collapse.

And there are thriving middle classes in Europe as well ... and a growing one in China.

Here ... well, there's a reason FOX loves to yell about Class Warfare ... because we are becoming a nation of elites and slaves.

A truer statement couldn't be made. There is such a huge divide and a great deal of denial ("I'm not lower class! Look, I can afford vacations too!!") that one day will break this country in half. But that's politics, and we shouldn't talk politics, because The Mom will yell at us and put us in time out, and I don't like time out. It smells weird in that corner. :cautious:

Circling this back to Disney- Disney used to appeal to the upper-middle class but have since changed their sightlines to the middle-lower class, yet still charge the prices as if catering to a higher, richer caliber. Is it right? No. Will it ever stop? Probably not.

Will we all be priced out some day? Considering Disney has raised their prices once, sometimes twice a year (@ParentsOf4 do you have any figures on how many times Disney has raised prices since 2001?) but the last time I personally got a raise was (correction) four years ago and not a penny since... yeah, I could see pricing out of the lower class happening soon.

Then what you're left with is a low quality park that is catering to a lower class but at upper class rates that only the real money makers can afford.

I'll get off my soapbox now and hope this isn't modded out of existence.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

On the topic of Marvel merchandise, Jim Hill has an article up about the downsizing of the Disney Store in which he has a photo from a nearby Disney Outlet with a huge display of merchandise for Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I think the issue of merchandise shows why the Marvel purchase, based on its reasons, is a failure for Disney. The company was purchased to give Disney a strong hold of the young boys market and while little boys do like superheroes, they were never Marvel's primary audience. The growth in popularity of the Marvel Cinematic Universe has not helped this situation because that growth has been multi-demographic, and older than the audience Disney wants. When I saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier on opening night I was impressed at the diversity of the audience compared to when I saw Iron Man on its opening night six years ago. However, in both cases there were relatively few who would be interested in buying the Marvel merchandise Disney insists on selling directly. Disney's strength has been when it realizes it is not a children's brand and both Walt Disney Consumer Products and Walt Disney Parks and Resorts would benefit greatly from an end to such thinking.

Last edited:

maxairmike

On the topic of Marvel merchandise, Jim Hill has an article up about the downsizing of the Disney Store in which he has a photo from a nearby Disney Outlet with a huge display of merchandise for Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I think the issue of merchandise shows why the Marvel purchase, based on its reasons, is a failure for Disney. The company was purchased to give Disney a strong hold of the young boys market and while little boys do like superheroes, they were never Marvel's primary audience. The growth in popularity of the Marvel Cinematic Universe has not helped this situation because that growth has been multi-demographic, and older than the audience Disney wants. When I saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier on opening night I was impressed at the diversity of the audience compared to when I saw Iron Man on its opening night six years ago. However, in both cases there were relatively few who would be interested in buying the Marvel merchandise Disney insists on selling directly. Disney strength has been when it realizes it is not a children's brand and both Walt Disney Consumer Products and Walt Disney Parks and Resorts would benefit greatly from an end to such thinking.

Unfortunately a quick visit to your local Disney Store is all you need to be reminded that they think being a children's brand is their main driver in most things that can be purchased in large quantities. Heck, a stop into most any store at WDW will also reinforce it. I don't even go into Disney Stores anymore, because I know they carry absolutely nothing that would interest me.

But we already have a thread about that in another sub-forum.

ABQ

.... I somehow never made it to EPCOT.
I saw you state a few times that you never made it to EPCOT, but did you venture into the Studios? Could have updated your avatar with a dustier, crustier image, as I'm sure they don't bother cleaning that breaker panel these days. The grimy imagery may play well with how your many "friends" on twitter describe you.

Stevek

You could be my evil twin, except baseball/basketball and 3 kids, but I'm calling you out for that sly little wuss move.

Just own the minivan, dude. Don't try and say it's your wife's. Who cares what someone thinks? We're a family of 5, sorry I'm not cool I own a minivan, but you try sitting in the third row of an SUV.

Ha! I can thankfully avoid driving it 5 days a week...but on weekends that baby is all mine as I shuttle the girls to their soccer games.

Stevek

But Americans are not doing well and this idea that folks who look like they just climbed off the Honey Boo Boo express suddenly affording $500 a night accommodations or even $250 a night just isn't rational by any other way I can think of.

As someone else pointed out, they're basically mortgaging their futures by paying for these trips...possibly the trip of a lifetime for many of them. I can afford to stay at these higher end resort but we choose not to as we don't see the real value in paying $500 a night for a room we will spend very little time in. We were certainly quite comfortable in our Pop Century room for around $100 a night.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's the main reason I am suggesting a pathway from RNR to Animation Courtyard. When F! lets out, everyone goes stright down Sunset Blvd and it is massively crowded. Having an alternative pathway where you can go to RNR and go around would be nice for crowd control.

Think about F!'s end time and the park closing time for the majority of dates :)

Of course, it would probably be most helpful to have a direct exit gate from F! straight out of the park. Given it's location, it would be easy enough to do and you could place a small part time merch shop there to entice people as they leave since they aren't going out the main entrance.

That's part of the problem.. bypassing the shopping district.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just own the minivan, dude. Don't try and say it's your wife's. Who cares what someone thinks? We're a family of 5, sorry I'm not cool I own a minivan, but you try sitting in the third row of an SUV.

That's why we have a suburban now.. :) Minivan is the most practical vehicle everyone refuses to acknowledge. More dry storage than anything, and more storage than most trucks.

R W B

Same here. I'm so bad I can tell the difference between Coke from different restaurants around town. And plain Coke from a Freestyle machine tastes nothing like the real thing. And I've also tried running water through the machine to no avail. It always has a slight aftertaste of whatever concoction someone else had earlier. Glad I'm not the only one that notices this.
Nope, you're not the only one that notices lol. I'm the same way about local restaurants too. There's some places that serve coke but its not good so instead of paying for bad coke, I just get water.

PhotoDave219

As someone else pointed out, they're basically mortgaging their futures by paying for these trips...possibly the trip of a lifetime for many of them. I can afford to stay at these higher end resort but we choose not to as we don't see the real value in paying $500 a night for a room we will spend very little time in. We were certainly quite comfortable in our Pop Century room for around $100 a night.

For a trip of a lifetime, my imagination is a bit bigger than Central Florida. Ireland, Australia, Paris.... Those are trips to go all-in for.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Oh, this happens when the "little precious" individuals do not get what they want. It pretty much revolves to: "When someone who is "offended" couldn't win an argument..or gets banned.. takes the argument into to his controlled land where he can do one-side arguments, ask for support from their friends and generally cherrypick without the fear of being proven wrong".

To resume, its a technique used to get support in a controlled place when the person was unable to prove his point as true and valid in a separate uncontrolled place.

So, fanbois basically operate the same way as the Piers Morgan show

fbb

What about $200 a night? That's what I've found for stays at the GCH and the Poly in the last year.

bubbles1812

That's why we have a suburban now.. :) Minivan is the most practical vehicle everyone refuses to acknowledge. More dry storage than anything, and more storage than most trucks.
I am nearly 26, and my brothers are 24 and 22. Every time my mom is up for a trade-in/new car/whatever, she still insists on getting a mini-van even though we've all been out of the house for years. She loves it. Never underestimate the power of the mini-van...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom