Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soarin' Over Pgh

You are absolutely correct. But this is Disney, not the Boston Marathon. Many people have made a first step into a changed lifestyle by entering a race that they probably knew they weren't going to win or even finish, but, it was the action and participation that deserved far more rewards then the well trained runners. These people had to somehow find the courage to move out of their comfort zone to be part of something that just a short time ago seemed like an impossibility. I'd give them the best prize available. It took more for them to enter then the winners. And then the "holier then thou" crowd identifies them as a "herd of elephants". How warm and compassionate they are. Where is Karma when you need it?

Needs repeating.

Thank you Goofy.

Bolna

You are absolutely correct. But this is Disney, not the Boston Marathon. Many people have made a first step into a changed lifestyle by entering a race that they probably knew they weren't going to win or even finish, but, it was the action and participation that deserved far more rewards then the well trained runners. These people had to somehow find the courage to move out of their comfort zone to be part of something that just a short time ago seemed like an impossibility. I'd give them the best prize available. It took more for them to enter then the winners. And then the "holier then thou" crowd identifies them as a "herd of elephants". How warm and compassionate they are. Where is Karma when you need it?

Sorry, but I don't agree with you at all - and I am actually someone who was on the verge of being obese, got motivated by a dear friend to take up running and am now a much lighter and healthier person for it.

But it is not sensible to start out from zero to half marathon if you do not have a hope of finishing. That is what 5ks and 10ks are for. And there are plenty of races to start with, Disney is not the only one. And I think just as @baymenxpac explained, Disney races tend to give an incentive for inexperienced and undertrained runners to try something that might be more damaging to them than helpful.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

Two things. 1) I didn't use the phrase "herd of elephants". If you're going to quote me and then bring up a hot button phrase at least make it something I said. The run talk has been going on for so long, I'm going to do a quickie search and see where it first appeared since I think this will be the 63rd appearance of that phrase in this thread. 2) It is a marathon. If having Disney as a corporate sponsor means that it should be considered a walk in the park that requires no training, then so be it. Personally I don't think you're putting enough emphasis on the word marathon.
But it is not sensible to start out from zero to half marathon if you do not have a hope of finishing. That is what 5ks and 10ks are for. And there are plenty of races to start with, Disney is not the only one. And I think just as @baymenxpac explained, Disney races tend to give an incentive for inexperienced and undertrained runners to try something that might be more damaging to them than helpful.

Correct. I went from a fairly sedentary lifestyle to training for the Tough Mudder a couple of years ago and I did that for a year. I did smaller/shorter runs and adventure races to build up to it after I was in halfway decent shape.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh joy, this thread will now be about bashing the obese for entering races they have no hopes of finishing because they want the bling associated and can't just do the more honorable thing and buy it on eBay.

Look, I'm all for folks getting in shape and pushing themselves. In 1990 after a serious illness, I climbed Mount Washington in New Hampshire as my first mountain climb/hike. Some how, I survived. But it was stupid and I had no business being up there when I could have tried a slightly less daunting first climb. Having to crawl up stairs to go yo the bathroom or kitchen the next few days wasn't ideal.

Others -- runners -- have made the point (but some will just disagree for the sake of it and argue anyway) that there are plenty of options for those trying to get in shape or run a fun race at Disney. They exist. Half marathons and full are not for beginners or those seeking a challenge or, yes, folks who feel they are buying a medal when they pay Disney's premium prices to enter.

It is dumb and dangerous to other runners to enter a race that YOU KNOW you have no chance of coming close to completing. Taking awAY the incentive by awarding medals to only those who finish the race makes sense in every way except Disney understands that it will loose a substantial portion of the current runners. Of course, it might also gain more who are nit happy with the Mickey Mouse tactics.

Look, we all want awards and we all want to feel special. I'd love a Nobel myself. A Pullitzer would have made my day in a past career. And everytime I visit a friend with Emmys on the shelves, I think to myself how nice I'd look with one of those (I even tried to steal a certain Emmy winner's statue a few years ago, playfully, if course!) But I haven't EARNED one. The awards and honors I have achieved have been my own and that's why they mean something.

Starting a 13 mile run when you know you're going to walk 2-3 miles and collect a medal is, frankly, what losers do, not winners.

A winner trains and enters a race that they belong in and have an excellent shot if finishing!

What's amusing about this is many of the people saying this entitilement mentality is fine would be the first to complain about someone sneaking into watch a Halloween parade at MNSSHP or using a 1997 mug to 'steal' soda at WDW resorts or even about paying taxes so strangers get healthcare.

It really is a very black and white issue ... It is only clouded because Disney loves to take advantage of the mental illness/OCD behavior of many of its fans.

WDW1974

Original Poster
How would you rank the Florida parks for your personal preference? What about all the stateside parks?

That is such a hard question because it begs more questions like do water parks count?Are we talking just Disney? Etc ...

My favorite Florida parks would, right now, be something like this:

1.) EPCOT;
2.) DAK;
3.) IOA;
4.) BGT;
5.) UNI;
6.) MK;
7.) SW;
8.) TPFKaTD-MGMS;

But 6-8 can change easily based on all sorts of things. And No. 1 is more sentimental plus dining and walking for me.

If you include CA, then DL and DCA would immediately be 1-2 and BGW would be in the Top 5.

Goofyernmost

Two things. 1) I didn't use the phrase "herd of elephants". If you're going to quote me and then bring up a hot button phrase at least make it something I said. The run talk has been going on for so long, I'm going to do a quickie search and see where it first appeared since I think this will be the 63rd appearance of that phrase in this thread. 2) It is a marathon. If having Disney as a corporate sponsor means that it should be considered a walk in the park that requires no training, then so be it. Personally I don't think you're putting enough emphasis on the word marathon.

Why do you consider something that you didn't say a problem for you. Everyone knows you didn't say that so my mentioning it in my post as a point, not really related to what you said, is a pretty good stretch.

It is not me that needs to put more emphasis on the word Marathon, that would be Disney. They do not promote it as anything other then a fun time for people that like to run. It's not a serious sporting event except to those that take it that way.

I'm sure there are some people that enter it just for the medals, but it is an insignificant number. I'm am also sure that most of those people are in the 5K not the half or full. The reports of large numbers of people that are unqualified entering the larger marathons are greatly exaggerated and the real runners are either ahead of them already or will be before very long. I am referring to more than just people who have not moved much in years due to weight or desire. I was and have been referring to anyone that makes the effort to challenge themselves beyond their capabilities.

My whole participation in this thread came about because of someones degrading and egotistical stating that the "herds of elephants" were in the way. That was not you. However, the demeaning way that this was spoken about someone that for all they know was someone recovering from a serious illness and thought they could do it, not just fat, frayed my very last nerve. I apologize if any one thought I was signalling any one out in my subsequent posts. Most of the quotes were only used as lead-ins to the point I was trying to make.

No one is ever going to convince me that a Disney Marathon is a serious marathon in the sense that it has some importance in the world of sports. It may be a good way to prepare for a real marathon, but nothing about this can be called real except the distance. Photo ops? Really? Characters? Really? People running in character costume? Running through a theme park? Come on!

There are hundreds, maybe thousands of "real" marathons run all over the country. Take the seriousness there and not to Disney when the best you will get is a medal. Reports of winners never make it past Orlando. Serious runners, can and should run in it, but, realize that it is for the fun of it not the competition. I would think that a serious marathon runner would have a pretty easy time beating the vast majority of the participants that show up at Disney.

Bforeverknight

First, I do take offense to the term herds of elephants, I am a fairly big guy and if better runners are back with me in the last coral for some reason, I move over to let them pass. I have to agree with others that, even if a person only makes it a mile or two into the course before being swept, they are out there trying. As for the medal, who really cares, if you are truly a hardcore runner, you are not running for the medal but for the personal satisfaction of beating your own best!

Second, some are trying to act like this only happens at Run Disney events. This happens at all running events from things such as the Spartan Run to the Indianapolis Mini Marathon. There are always people that are going to just sign up to get the medal, does that mean, my medal means any less no because I know that I earned my medal.

Sorry for the rant, but just because you are not a super runner you should not be excluded from running in one of these events!

Taylor

That is such a hard question because it begs more questions like do water parks count?Are we talking just Disney? Etc ...

1.) EPCOT;
2.) DAK;
3.) IOA;
4.) BGT;
5.) UNI;
6.) MK;
7.) SW;
8.) TPFKaTD-MGMS;

But 6-8 can change easily based on all sorts of things. And No. 1 is more sentimental plus dining and walking for me.

If you include CA, then DL and DCA would immediately be 1-2 and BGW would be in the Top 5.
Not gonna lie a little surprised about the list. I would've thought that a UNI park would be your #1 given the current state of both properties. And I'm suprised that DAK isn't higher up (I'm guessing its because of the attraction lineup).

BryceM

Not gonna lie a little surprised about the list. I would've thought that a UNI park would be your #1 given the current state of both properties. And I'm suprised that DAK isn't higher up (I'm guessing its because of the attraction lineup).
Disney's Animal Kingdom is #2... That's pretty darn high for a park with 6 rides. I was surprised that Universal's Islands of Adventure wasn't #2 or #1.

BryceM

It's not all about rides.
To some people. I guess it doesn't matter to Spirit, which is fine by me. Personally, rides are what should be one of the primary focuses in a theme park.

I will agree that DAK is extremely beautiful and a park which stays true to it's theme, which is nice. Asia and Africa are some of the best themed environments I've ever been in. I'm guessing this is why Spirit likes it so much.

tracyandalex

Wow, I actually caught up, I never thoguht I would! Can I get a medal now?
j/k :p

We are planning a trip to DLR in the next few years so all that discussion has been quite useful to me - thanks to all.

We also plan on hitting the Universal parks during spring break next year. So again, thanks for all that info. We have not been in 5 years and this will be the first time for DD so we are very very excited!! We love Hard Rock, but admittedly don't know much about the other resorts. What are you guys' favorites? How many days do you think we need? We're thinking 3.

Call me a pixie duster, but I am excited to ride the Mine Train. I have my fingers crossed that it is a great ride. Please please please let Avatar not look sad and let the addition to DHS not be value engineered. I love AK too!!

DH has started running recently, done a few 5Ks and wants to do some of the run Disney stuff, so hopefully I can comment on that next time. I run too, but I don't care how fast or far I so I run away from actual runs, lol.

Really enjoying the accountaneering (did I spell that right?). The accounting I do is similar, I work with researchers. The posts give an interesting perspective and sometimes it can be challenging to balance creative and well math, lol.

Spirit, as always your thread is a good read!

Taylor

Disney's Animal Kingdom is #2... That's pretty darn high for a park with 6 rides. I was surprised that Universal's Islands of Adventure wasn't #2 or #1.
It is isn't it. Wow I thought he had it at 6, one of those days

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Why do you consider something that you didn't say a problem for you. Everyone knows you didn't say that so my mentioning it in my post as a point, not really related to what you said, is a pretty good stretch.

It is not me that needs to put more emphasis on the word Marathon, that would be Disney. They do not promote it as anything other then a fun time for people that like to run. It's not a serious sporting event except to those that take it that way.

I'm sure there are some people that enter it just for the medals, but it is an insignificant number. I'm am also sure that most of those people are in the 5K not the half or full. The reports of large numbers of people that are unqualified entering the larger marathons are greatly exaggerated and the real runners are either ahead of them already or will be before very long. I am referring to more than just people who have not moved much in years due to weight or desire. I was and have been referring to anyone that makes the effort to challenge themselves beyond their capabilities.

My whole participation in this thread came about because of someones degrading and egotistical stating that the "herds of elephants" were in the way. That was not you. However, the demeaning way that this was spoken about someone that for all they know was someone recovering from a serious illness and thought they could do it, not just fat, frayed my very last nerve. I apologize if any one thought I was signalling any one out in my subsequent posts. Most of the quotes were only used as lead-ins to the point I was trying to make.

No one is ever going to convince me that a Disney Marathon is a serious marathon in the sense that it has some importance in the world of sports. It may be a good way to prepare for a real marathon, but nothing about this can be called real except the distance. Photo ops? Really? Characters? Really? People running in character costume? Running through a theme park? Come on!

There are hundreds, maybe thousands of "real" marathons run all over the country. Take the seriousness there and not to Disney when the best you will get is a medal. Reports of winners never make it past Orlando. Serious runners, can and should run in it, but, realize that it is for the fun of it not the competition. I would think that a serious marathon runner would have a pretty easy time beating the vast majority of the participants that show up at Disney.

I dont think I read anyone implying that Disney marathons are "Serious Marathons", but that all marathons, by the nature of their extreme (and fairly dangerous depending on what reports you read) distance are serious.

A RunDisney marathon is not going to get you an entrance into the 2016 Summer Games. But, no marathon should be treated as non-serious. People have to train, very, very hard, in order to withstand the distance of a marathon.

I'd doubt you'd find many people on here who would discourage people to get out and try and be healthy and do the best that they can. And it's not a problem only with RunDisney marathons, but running events as a whole, but I think that most people arguing on here would suggest that if someone is not prepared to handle the distance of a race, they should look to find an event that suits their needs. Can't make it 13 miles? Join the 5k instead.

And couldn't all of this back and forth be solved with a simple:
Participation: Ribbon/T-shirt
Finish: Medal

Maybe even have the walkers start 30 minutes after the runners?

RunnerEd

I dont think I read anyone implying that Disney marathons are "Serious Marathons", but that all marathons, by the nature of their extreme (and fairly dangerous depending on what reports you read) distance are serious.

A RunDisney marathon is not going to get you an entrance into the 2016 Summer Games. But, no marathon should be treated as non-serious. People have to train, very, very hard, in order to withstand the distance of a marathon.

I'd doubt you'd find many people on here who would discourage people to get out and try and be healthy and do the best that they can. And it's not a problem only with RunDisney marathons, but running events as a whole, but I think that most people arguing on here would suggest that if someone is not prepared to handle the distance of a race, they should look to find an event that suits their needs. Can't make it 13 miles? Join the 5k instead.

I've run the Disney 1/2 twice and the full once; it was my first full Marathon (4 total). My biggest problem with a Disney event is that they don't enforce the corral assignments. If a person puts a sub 3 hour full marathon on their entry form, Disney doesn't require proof of time so they get automatically assigned to the first corral. Some of those people are truly sub 3 hour folks (which is an amazing athlete) and some have no hope to break 6 hours. The latter group causes the problem. If Disney would assign folks without proof of time to the last corral, there wouldn't be so much congestion. As it is, it took me about 2 hours to catch a group of women who had evidently lied on their entry form and gotten in the 1st corral (I was in the 4th). They were walking and talking; not speed/power walking but a stroll pace and blocking nearly the entire road outside of the Grand Floridian. I yelled excuse me and played a game of "red rover" and went through the middle. Their actions to chit chat and walk a marathon were their choice and fine; their action to lie about their speed was not. Disney does a great job by starting the 16 minute per mile minimum clock when the last person crosses the start line. If you are trained to do a 15 minute mile, there is no danger of Disney changing the rules and sweeping you and therefore, no need to lie to get a "better" corral assignment. Run/power walk/walk/do your best but don't be a moving obstacle for others who are also trying to do their best!

rael ramone

The 'original' marathon (according to the story) the runner passed away after delivering the news of the victory in battle in Greece.

RSoxNo1

1.) EPCOT;
2.) DAK;
3.) IOA;
4.) BGT;
5.) UNI;
6.) MK;
7.) SW;
8.) TPFKaTD-MGMS;

The list makes sense to me except Epcot. I don't get the love for the current incarnation of Epcot.

misterID

1.) EPCOT;
2.) DAK;
3.) IOA;
4.) BGT;
5.) UNI;
6.) MK;
7.) SW;
8.) TPFKaTD-MGMS;

This is exactly the list I thought you'd post. :)

If you swapped DAK with MK, that would be my list. I'm really of the opinion AK is a niche park that's much more appreciated by people who are either APers or Florida residents, or people who frequently make it to the parks annually. Once I left Florida and my vacations became more and more spaced out, the less I liked MGM or AK. The latter really gets under my crawl. It's a pretty park, but in no way does it deserve MK prices.

AK could be the DisneySEA of America and could give that park a run for its money. Right now, it's an underachiever trying to pimp out its ambiance and "prettiness" over its actual theme park substance.

The longer I'm away from MGM the more cramped and ugly it gets. MK was never a favorite park of mine, EPCOT was, but I appreciate it much more now than I did when I was going all the time. Maybe I took for granted how wonderful the Magic Kingdom really is, but being away made me really love that park. The fact they've totally butchered EPCOT has really hurt my love for it, but it's still my favorite for these reasons: WS, nostalgia and SSE. I'm just spending way less time there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom