Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goofyernmost

I would love for my family to go to Uni, but my kids are still to young at 5 and 2 to justify for us to go, hence why we do Disney instead. Uni barely had anything for them to do or ride...the worst part is my DS5 loves Harry Potter but I don't want him to go and not be able to experience anything...
I don't know Seuss, Popeye, ET, Shrek, Despicable me, Sponge Bob, Simpsons and others including some that are things that adults would like that maybe wouldn't directly interest young kids, but they certainly can be part of it without problems.

Mike730

I couldn't figure out how you guys could hate on someone so hard just from a blog post.

...but wow. She makes it easy.

The shame of it is the fact that she's a rarity for complaining about the stale parks. It'd be nice if there were more people pointing out the flaws, generating some sort of negative buzz.

But nothing like her because that woman is trash.

bubbles1812

I completely disagree about Ranger. And PR may be nothing like TRansformers, but I would hope that you could understand why someone who has never seen any of them would find the trailers to be similar in look and feel and ...yeah, tone.

If someone hasn't seen Pirates, any of them, I sincerely doubt they'd make a connection at all.
Well, Spirit, I saw Pacific Rim last night, and I can at least tell you that the movie is NOT Transformers. It actually has a plot, and likable characters who actually get some character development. Whereas in Transformers, I think Michael Bay thought showing shots of Megan Fox's was character development...

Other thoughts on the movie. First, haha, I am definitely not in the target demo for the film. I went to an 11 o'clock showing, and the theater was surprisingly filled up least a third full (remember this is quite a late night showing) with teens to thirties men... And me. I was the only female. It was funny ;)

I give the film a solid B, with parts that were up to B+ in nature. What I liked: The CGI was impressive and relatively believable in the context of the world created. The monsters themselves were very cool, and what I thought was the most interesting part of the film was their backstory. (More on that later.). The battles themselves were fun, and were easy to follow unlike the special effects vomit that are the Transformers action sequences. And honestly, though obviously the giant robots are present, they aren't so heavily emphasized like in Transformers. It is much more about the human characters, who just happen to be in giant robots.

Also, the setting of Hong Kong was refreshing in a world where Los Angeles or NYC are always getting a beat down.

Idris Elba was great as always, and it was nice hearing him get to use his actual accent. I also really liked Mako, the female heroine. As a female myself, it's nice to see a badass woman doing the butt-kicking since most action movies feature women as damsels in distress. These two were by far the most compelling characters, and the ones the got the most development.

And lastly, I will say it again. The movie has a plot. It's not a particularly complicated plot, but at least it exists. There are some plot holes, and some things they needed to explained more, but not enough to make me dislike the movie.

What I didnt like: Well, the main male hero, Riley(sp?) was likeable enough. I didnt hate him by any means, or find him annoying, but he was just a little bland as a character. It was his character development that was needed more. Didnt ruin the movie or anything, but like I said, just bland. And even though Elba's character and Mako did get some decent development, they could have used some more too, especially exploring their relationship.

The two scientist also ran the gamut of funny (which I assume was their purpose) to highly annoying. Sometimes I liked them and sometimes I wanted to punch them. That being said, the younger scientist's search for a monster brain involved a cameo which was hilarious and great.

Concerning the monsters, the battles themselves... Honestly I have no complaints about them except they ran a little long in spots. And I really wished they would have explored the monster mythology a bit more. Maybe they hope to do that in a sequel. I was left with some questions when I left the theater and wanted to know more, so at least PR got me to actually *think* about it.

Overall, it is a fun "Hollywood" movie as @the.dreamfinder said, and has some surprises for viewers. It is certainly NOT the steaming pile of poo that is Transformers (Sorry, but I like coherent plots ;)). For me personally, I would not see it again, at least in theaters, but I certainly don't regret seeing it once. I'd recommend it for people looking for a good time where they can leave their brains at the door (which hey, is somewhat what summers movies are about). And for what it is worth, my brother (23 years old and in the target demo) gave it a B+/A-.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Hey Everyone who wanted to read that crazy lady's Sara Strand's Blogs (including @WDW1974)

Here's the google cache links:

Day 1 Where she hates on MK

Day 2 Where she Rants on Epcot

Somewhere lost in her racism, homophobia and xenophobia is the underlying point (I guess) that Disney is an utter pain the the for the uninitiated and ill-prepared. It is not for the 1D1P or 2D1P guests anymore; it is a true vacation destination that takes days and planning to be able to do anything. Which is awfully sad....
Admittedly I did scan the articles, because she seems to think that the world revolves around her, but I must have missed those remarks.

IHeartArt

It almost hurts seeing how many mistakes that woman made. She spent two hundred dollars on bottled water. Two hundred dollars. How do you do that?

In fact, buying bottled water at all when you can nicely ask any cast member (or food stand employee at any park...) for a cup of ice water... I would feel bad for her if she wasn't a homophobic and racist pile of trash. Oh my god, there are Asians here! They're too overexcited over Winnie the Pooh! THEY MIGHT BE GAY. It must be a gay Asian thing!

disney fan 13

Well, Spirit, I saw Pacific Rim last night, and I can at least tell you that the movie is NOT Transformers. It actually has a plot, and likable characters who actually get some character development. Whereas in Transformers, I think Michael Bay thought showing shots of Megan Fox's was character development...

Other thoughts on the movie. First, haha, I am definitely not in the target demo for the film. I went to an 11 o'clock showing, and the theater was surprisingly filled up least a third full (remember this is quite a late night showing) with teens to thirties men... And me. I was the only female. It was funny ;)

I give the film a solid B, with parts that were up to B+ in nature. What I liked: The CGI was impressive and relatively believable in the context of the world created. The monsters themselves were very cool, and what I thought was the most interesting part of the film was their backstory. (More on that later.). The battles themselves were fun, and were easy to follow unlike the special effects vomit that are the Transformers action sequences. And honestly, though obviously the giant robots are present, they aren't so heavily emphasized like in Transformers. It is much more about the human characters, who just happen to be in giant robots.

Also, the setting of Hong Kong was refreshing in a world where Los Angeles or NYC are always getting a beat down.

Idris Elba was great as always, and it was nice hearing him get to use his actual accent. I also really liked Mako, the female heroine. As a female myself, it's nice to see a badass woman doing the butt-kicking since most action movies feature women as damsels in distress. These two were by far the most compelling characters, and the ones the got the most development.

And lastly, I will say it again. The movie has a plot. It's not a particularly complicated plot, but at least it exists. There are some plot holes, and some things they needed to explained more, but not enough to make me dislike the movie.

What I didnt like: Well, the main male hero, Riley(sp?) was likeable enough. I didnt hate him by any means, or find him annoying, but he was just a little bland as a character. It was his character development that was needed more. Didnt ruin the movie or anything, but like I said, just bland. And even though Elba's character and Mako did get some decent development, they could have used some more too, especially exploring their relationship.

The two scientist also ran the gamut of funny (which I assume was their purpose) to highly annoying. Sometimes I liked them and sometimes I wanted to punch them. That being said, the younger scientist's search for a monster brain involved a cameo which was hilarious and great.

Concerning the monsters, the battles themselves... Honestly I have no complaints about them except they ran a little long in spots. And I really wished they would have explored the monster mythology a bit more. Maybe they hope to do that in a sequel. I was left with some questions when I left the theater and wanted to know more, so at least PR got me to actually *think* about it.

Overall, it is a fun "Hollywood" movie as @the.dreamfinder said, and has some surprises for viewers. It is certainly NOT the steaming pile of poo that is Transformers (Sorry, but I like coherent plots ;)). For me personally, I would not see it again, at least in theaters, but I certainly don't regret seeing it once. I'd recommend it for people looking for a good time where they can leave their brains at the door (which hey, is somewhat what summers movies are about). And for what it is worth, my brother (23 years old and in the target demo) gave it a B+/A-.

Saw it last night as well and have the same exact opinion on the movie.

GiveMeTheMusic

It almost hurts seeing how many mistakes that woman made. She spent two hundred dollars on bottled water. Two hundred dollars. How do you do that?

In fact, buying bottled water at all when you can nicely ask any cast member (or food stand employee at any park...) for a cup of ice water... I would feel bad for her if she wasn't a homophobic and racist pile of trash. Oh my god, there are Asians here! They're too overexcited over Winnie the Pooh! THEY MIGHT BE GAY. It must be a gay Asian thing!

Ugh, gaysians are the WORST.

Bolna

200 $ in bottled water equals 80 bottles. It might be hot in Florida but as far as I know, drinking 5 litre of water per person per day certainly is not usual.

ETA: Also the claim of paying 150 $ for lunch must be exaggerated. Even with a 20 % tip I come up with 120 $ including tax and gratuity for two adults and two kids.

Cody5242

After reading both blogs, this lady is ignorant. Where the hell does it say anywhere that Crystal Palace lunch is $15? Also last time I checked two bottles of water would cost $5 not $10. You should know what your getting yourself into spending $30 a night at a motel. Poor planning also seems to be a factor here. I would NEVER go straight to a meet & greet at park opening!

crispy

I thought you were being harsh on the blogger until I actually read the blog. Yikes! I hate when bloggers seem to have such a high opinion of their own adorable-ness and think they are oh-so-funny and clever. Lady, we can see the pictures and read. There is nothing adorable, funny, or clever about you. I would think self-involved idiot ($200 on bottled water? Really?) would be more apropos.

coolbeans14

Why did she not just go to publix?! We buy a large pack of bottled water, put them in the fridge, then take a few when we go to the parks. You just fill them up at water fountains, and oh look! You pay less than a dollar a day for unlimited water!

Some people!

RSoxNo1

Because "we" don't drill "our" oil.

We basically pay big oil companies (in the form of massive subsidies and even more massive tax breaks) to drill "our" oil for us... and then we allow them to sell it ("our oil") back to us at an inflated price.

Ahem... I mean the price set by the free market. LOL.
You also forget around 45 cents per gallon in taxes.

RSoxNo1

The reality is that EPCOT is actually living on two festivals a year, which drive extensive traffic into food and beverage and retail locations. As others have noted here, EPCOT has often been a ghost town this summer. They'll just cut the AC another 2-3 degrees ...

Disney is acting like someone who is overweight that is willing to try absolutely anything to lose weight, except diet and exercise. In Disney’s case they are willing to try absolutely anything to maintain or increase attendance, except build and maintain innovative new attractions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom