Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer Magic

Case in point to my comment.

And, yeah, but CGI isn't going anywhere. The ultimate goal for movie producers / directors, is that there are no actors.

And it's all CGI.
I guess I have too comments. 1) You are still paying actors. I don't think Tom Hanks was cheaper in Toy Story 3 than Saving Mr. Banks. 2) I think oversaturation may become a problem. There was a least 6 trailers during MU. All look bad.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I actually know several of the songs from Tangled after two viewings, and I'm not really a "song person."

I especially like "I've Got A Dream"... but that might be because, like Flynn, my own personal dream also happens to involve being on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone, surrounded by enormous piles of money...

That's all nice and good...now do a name on the street test.

Ask someone random (or better 100 random people) if they know of this song...

Or this...

I'm not saying that the music in Tangled was bad, it wasn't. In fact, it was amazing. But, it was missing that magic "something" that makes it stick in the collective mindset.

Menken/Rice had that gift, Sherman Bros had that gift, and everyone knows Elton John had that gift...

Phil Collins had the gift, but it didn't translate well to Disney movies (even though the movies were amazing) as did Pixar's choice of Randy Newman...in both cases the artist out shown the performance, and instead of being associated with the IP, it's generally associated with the artist first, with the sole exception being Randy's work on Toy Story 1 and Toy Story 3.

JimboJones123

Changing subject, sorry but you mentioned Planes. That seems so much like a Pixar film. I say the trailer before MU. The planes look just like the Cars characters. Even a look alike Mater. I'm not understand this? In fact I'm not sure why the Pixar and Disney CGI?

I think CGI is heading for a meltdown because everyone is doing it.

Everybody is doing it because it works. The sad part is that it works better for the other studios than Disney. Despicable Me is hauling in tons. Dreamwoks is falling though. The snail movie is going to be a huge tank.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Everybody is doing it because it works. The sad part is that it works better for the other studios than Disney. Despicable Me is hauling in tons. Dreamwoks is falling though. The snail movie is going to be a huge tank.

Oh yeah, no doubt. They are already marketing the crap out of it...which means (to me) they know it's bad...

Computer Magic

Everybody is doing it because it works. The sad part is that it works better for thether studios than Disney. Despicable Me is hauling in tons. Dreamwoks is falling though. The snail movie is going to be a huge tank.
Yes, Dreamworks was looking a laying off over 500 employees.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yes, Dreamworks was looking a laying off over 500 employees.

Some idiot in production thought it would be Shrek 2.0 I suspect...

Um...no...it's going to be Ratatouille, without being good.

In fact, it looks worse than Wallace and Grommit, which was actually a great movie with terrible promotion.

But, they've slapped those ads all over here in ATL...bus stops, billboards...

I'll take a picture of the bus stop one as it's right near my house tomorrow. It's funny to me, I can't explain why...but it just really looks bad.

Computer Magic

Lets look at Beauty and the Beast trailer, just for old times sake...

This movie was an idea during Walt's days but technology was preventing them from moving forward. Something Disney would not do today, they would push through and release junk. I wonder how many other movies from the 90's were from Walt's vault?

HMF

I actually agree with that statement. As great as Pixar is, really don't have the same musical behind the film. Sure "You have a friend in me" is catchy. But Pixar music doesn't stick like "'Circle of Life", ''Whole new World" or even Phil Collins hits. These songs hit the top billboard charts and kept the move fresh in you mind. Even won Grammies.
"You've got a friend in me" is arguably as well known as most of the classic Disney songs in my book.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I will say this...I didn't see Despicable Me in theaters (chalked it up as a Shrek rip off, which, I loved Shrek one, and two was ok...but three was terrible!)

So, when it came out, I thought, nah...not worth seeing. Then, last year, the kid and I went to Universal Florida and did the ride. I knew nothing of the IP, but she knew ALL about it, and informed me as we waited in line (repeatedly)...

I enjoyed the ride, I thought the minions were cute during and afterwards...nothing mind blowing, but enough to make me watch the movie.

My god, it is a great movie. Note an amazing one, not a memorable one per se, but it's just fun. But "just fun" is something I look for in movies now, as too many times production companies try to get too political, even with kids movies...or they go too shallow (like Over the Hedge or the Ice Age sequels).

I thought the characters were well developed, had decent back story, and were likable. The comedy scenes were an amazing mix of slapstick and cerebral humor. All in all, it was a great movie, and I laughed a lot at it.

But, I still have that lingering doubt in my mind, as Dreamworks has done me wrong in the past...(and yes, I know this isn't Dreamworks)

Yet, I find myself more interested in it than Monsters U, which seems nothing more than "Disney does Revenge of the Nerds"...sorry, I don't wish to see a college comedy. My kid won't get it (though she'll laugh), and I won't get it as I had to actually work at age 18 instead of going to college and living in a dorm and partying like a spoiled brat for another 4 years of my life.

So, I don't get the jokes...any of them. At least from what I've seen from the trailer.

But, I suppose I would need a 4 year degree in basket weaving to understand the deep comedy, and more importantly the deeper social implications, of Monsters U...

JimboJones123

The huge failure of Dreamworks is how long they are taking to put together the next How to Train Your Dragon movie.

It showed that Dreamworks was ready to take a stab at Disney/Pixar in the story department. They had alread matched or beat the Disney/Pixar in box office $$$.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The huge failure of Dreamworks is how long they are taking to put together the next How to Train Your Dragon movie.

It showed that Dreamworks was ready to take a stab at Disney/Pixar in the story department. They had alread matched or beat the Disney/Pixar in box office $$$.

Um, it made ~60 million domestic, and isn't quotable, notable or franchisable today.

I am sure that has a lot to do with it.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It may be a great movie (never saw it, probably why many didn't see it, it seemed like a carry off of the Harry Potter / LoTR 2000's craze)...

It may have been a great movie...but it wasn't. And that means it won't be.

JimboJones123

It may be a great movie (never saw it, probably why many didn't see it, it seemed like a carry off of the Harry Potter / LoTR 2000's craze)...

It may have been a great movie...but it wasn't. And that means it won't be.
98 % RT.
The film grossed $217,581,231 in the United States and Canada and $277,297,528 in foreign countries with a worldwide total of $494,878,759.
Plus it won the Annie and was a damn fine film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom