Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Since the Splitsville building holds the fancy model, I could see Disney propping up Splitsville so long as they're parading potential tenants through there.

I was thinking just that, but I also heard somewhere (here maybe?) that the model was in TDO's lobby for a bit ... have no idea where it is now.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I was always surprised at how busy Virgin Megastore was, especially with their insane prices while people were able to buy directly from Amazon too. It's such a huge building. I'll admit I haven't been to Splitsville yet, will have to check it out.

True, but I don't know if Amazon was even around when Virgin opened (I know I wasn't using it!) and people (some anyway) still enjoy buying books and music in an actual store. I am one of them ... a dying breed, no doubt.

Taylor

Lone Ranger probably shouldn't fail as badly as John Carter. Even though the Lone Ranger is a property that's a bit long in the tooth, there are still way more people who are familiar with it than with John Carter. John Carter also suffered because it lacked an A-list actor, had a title that was completely nondescript, and was marketed incredibly poorly.

Even so, John Carter wasn't horrible... it was just mediocre. I enjoyed it enough to not regret having paid to see it in the theater, but had no interest in seeing it a second time.

Still, Lone Ranger definitely looks like it'll fall far short of being a blockbuster. What was the last real Disney blockbuster that wasn't under the Pixar or Marvel labels? The first two Pirates films? Pirates 2 was seven years ago now...
On Stranger Tides made over a billion. That was two years ago I think.

WDW1974

Original Poster
If Splitsville is unable to sustain 2 floors, I suspect they'll either give back one of the floors and resell it separately, or they'll pull out completely and Disney will again subdivide the space. I said to friends when Splitsville took over the building I thought it was too much space for that type of use in that location and probably would be dead most of the time or wouldn't last.

But they can't afford to have all of that space empty when they are adding and replacing other locales in this new project. I think it would fatally wound the project if Splitsville shuttered anytime before Disney Springs new vision is half completed.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
What Disney really is searching for is a "Mermaid - Lion King" run...

Pixar extended that with Toy Story, but wrong demographic...and wrong style. The animated musical (the music is part of what kids get addicted to, and something lacking from Pixar releases, etc...)

My point is...a whole generation grew up singing songs from Disney movies...then in the late 90s, they hit jackpot, and a whole new generation grew up also singing songs from Disney movies.

They seek this, and need it, as now those of us who grew up during the second age, our kids are reaching the age of not-believing...and they need to do something quick. Fast blast high profit action films like Pirates will work, forgettable ones like Oz will also make money, for nostalgia...

But, until they find new stories to tell with a Menkin / Rice or Sherman Brothers level composition team again, and recruit them to turn great animated films into animated musicals...they will be lacking. And, their brand will suffer in the long run. As will Pixar.

Just my opinion.

Rapunzel was probably the closest they've been to this dynamic in a very long time.

Kuhio

We are planning to see Despicable Me 2 this weekend so it will be interesting to compare both sequels to the originals. I really loved the first Despicable Me which surprised me. It had enough edge for adults and enough silliness for kids. Plus, the Minions are about the cutest things ever.

I also enjoyed the first Despicable Me -- much more so than I would have thought going into it. The story of Gru taking to the three girls had a lot of heart, and the Minions added just the right amount of humor.

The general complaint I've heard about DM2 is the fact that the Minions kind of take over the movie. Considering they have their own movie coming out next year, I would have preferred the actual DM sequel to focus on Gru and the girls.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I also enjoyed the first Despicable Me -- much more so than I would have thought going into it. The story of Gru taking to the three girls had a lot of heart, and the Minions added just the right amount of humor.

The general complaint I've heard about DM2 is the fact that the Minions kind of take over the movie. Considering they have their own movie coming out next year, I would have preferred the actual DM sequel to focus on Gru and the girls.

Universal knows what markets, and markets it.

Minions market to kids. Gru and the girls make the story palatable for adults.

WDW1974

Original Poster
All I'll have to say is, if you won't call Cars 2 or Brave or The Lone Ranger (or Five Guys Fries for that matter) "truly bad" then you must be a very generous man, and that is a great quality in many ways.

I am a VERY generous man in countless ways (humility isn't one of them, though) ... but I won't call Lone Ranger bad when I haven't seen it yet and everyone I know that has (and I respect all of them, even @Lee) says it is good or very good and is getting slammed unfairly. I know what it's like to be slammed unfairly and it isn't fun. It can even leave rug burn and broken bones.

As to Cars 2 and Brave, they are likely my least favorite Pixar films along with A Bug's Life, which I have only seen once and haven't seen a need to revisit. But they aren't bad at all. Brave is quite good and Cars 2 is fair.

Oh, and on the Five Guys fries ... you are just flat wrong. I know my food from fast to five star. Those are damn fine fries.:)

PhotoDave219

Mrs. Lee is Merida's double ... but she certainly is no princess and I doubt she'd like to be referred to as a queen because she associated queens with Disney fanbois! Perhaps Goddess ...:D

I have not met Mrs. Lee but I would assume that she is a goddess.

One would assume. Or inagine. Probably a bit like Merida & a bit like Scarlett Johansen from the Avengers in a skintight leather outfit that just makes you want [REDACTED FOR SENSATIVE VIEWERS]

Computer Magic

What Disney really is searching for is a "Mermaid - Lion King" run...

Pixar extended that with Toy Story, but wrong demographic...and wrong style. The animated musical (the music is part of what kids get addicted to, and something lacking from Pixar releases, etc...)

My point is...a whole generation grew up singing songs from Disney movies...then in the late 90s, they hit jackpot, and a whole new generation grew up also singing songs from Disney movies.

They seek this, and need it, as now those of us who grew up during the second age, our kids are reaching the age of not-believing...and they need to do something quick. Fast blast high profit action films like Pirates will work, forgettable ones like Oz will also make money, for nostalgia...

But, until they find new stories to tell with a Menkin / Rice or Sherman Brothers level composition team again, and recruit them to turn great animated films into animated musicals...they will be lacking. And, their brand will suffer in the long run. As will Pixar.

Just my opinion.

Rapunzel was probably the closest they've been to this dynamic in a very long time.
I actually agree with that statement. As great as Pixar is, really don't have the same musical behind the film. Sure "You have a friend in me" is catchy. But Pixar music doesn't stick like "'Circle of Life", ''Whole new World" or even Phil Collins hits. These songs hit the top billboard charts and kept the move fresh in you mind. Even won Grammies.

Kuhio

Alice in Wonderland (2010) and Pirates 4 (2011) each pulled in over $1 billion worldwide. Not a bad return for either film.

Pirates 4 is interesting in that it did significantly worse in the U.S. than Pirates 3 (which in turn did worse than Pirates 2), but significantly better outside the U.S. than Pirates 3. It was Pirates 4's huge overseas take that helped it gross over $1 billion worldwide. I'm curious to see whether Johnny Depp's star power outside the U.S. can help salvage Lone Ranger's overall box office.

Ice Age is another franchise that has seen diminishing returns in the U.S., but growing popularity abroad. The last Ice Age couldn't muster $200 million in the U.S., but exceeded $700 million outside the U.S. Kind of hard to predict these things, sometimes...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Lone Ranger probably shouldn't fail as badly as John Carter. Even though the Lone Ranger is a property that's a bit long in the tooth, there are still way more people who are familiar with it than with John Carter. John Carter also suffered because it lacked an A-list actor, had a title that was completely nondescript, and was marketed incredibly poorly.

Even so, John Carter wasn't horrible... it was just mediocre. I enjoyed it enough to not regret having paid to see it in the theater, but had no interest in seeing it a second time.

Still, Lone Ranger definitely looks like it'll fall far short of being a blockbuster. What was the last real Disney blockbuster that wasn't under the Pixar or Marvel labels? The first two Pirates films? Pirates 2 was seven years ago now...

Never saw John Carter. I only had the slightest interest and the reviews -- and the trigger finger writeoff -- killed it for me.

Disney had a huge blockbuster with Alice in Wonderland three years ago. And the last two PoC films certainly qualified (even if the last one caused a family member to fall asleep during the screening). Oz could have been if it hadn't of cost so much. ... And I think Enchanted was a huge hit with a smallish budget, but can't recall off-hand. Tangled has been, even if it wasn't in initial domestic release, because of the ability to use the characters across multiple platforms etc (that's Igerspeak for suck it dry!) Why do I feel like I'm skipping something?

Taylor

Never saw John Carter. I only had the slightest interest and the reviews -- and the trigger finger writeoff -- killed it for me.

Disney had a huge blockbuster with Alice in Wonderland three years ago. And the last two PoC films certainly qualified (even if the last one caused a family member to fall asleep during the screening). Oz could have been if it hadn't of cost so much. ... And I think Enchanted was a huge hit with a smallish budget, but can't recall off-hand. Tangled has been, even if it wasn't in initial domestic release, because of the ability to use the characters across multiple platforms etc (that's Igerspeak for suck it dry!) Why do I feel like I'm skipping something?
Ralph maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom