Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Of course only idiots look at revenue instead of profit...but then again a P&L is probably a foreign term as well...

It did well domestically and with DVD sales, but, that is now how they judge sequels due to release timeframes...I'd suspect that they also found that since it wasn't marketable with merchandise and not widely quotable (didn't even generate a short lived internet meme), they just dropped the IP for now.

Bolna

"You've got a friend in me" is arguably as well known as most of the classic Disney songs in my book.

Unfortunately it is only one song - something you become very aware of if you try to sit through a performance of "Toy Story - the Musical" on a DCL ship (not sure it is on other ships, too, I saw it on the Wonder). They tried to create a musical out of a film that has one song. Does not work!!! They tried so hard with this show. All the technical aspects were there. But the music was so lacking. And one song cannot carry a musical. I am sure every single Disney film would have made a far far better show!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Unfortunately it is only one song - something you become very aware of if you try to sit through a performance of "Toy Story - the Musical" on a DCL ship (not sure it is on other ships, too, I saw it on the Wonder). They tried to create a musical out of a film that has one song. Does not work!!! They tried so hard with this show. All the technical aspects were there. But the music was so lacking. And one song cannot carry a musical. I am sure every single Disney film would have made a far far better show!

I'll be on the Fantasy soon, but I don't think that show is there...

That being said, I am a Randy fan...well before Toy Story...

HMF

You don't consider "Strange things are happening to me" and "I will go sailing no more" to be songs?

articos

But they can't afford to have all of that space empty when they are adding and replacing other locales in this new project. I think it would fatally wound the project if Splitsville shuttered anytime before Disney Springs new vision is half completed.
Not sure it would fatally would the project, considering how happy they are to let so much space limp along with temp use or empty, but it wouldn't help. DtD's management has shown constantly they don't care if there's empty space, or they have no knowledge of their own mall, considering they never go walk around. Regardless, I don't think they'd let Splitsville pull out until after part of the new space opens - they'll prop it up artificially if they have to, in order to get some buzz going while quietly ignoring Splitsville splitting.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Re: Tangled

I would def consider this a typical classic disney ballad that many loved:

I would agree, as I said before, I think it's a great movie, with great music.

Now, tomorrow at the water cooler, ask someone to recite the lyrics and identify it.

The ask them to do the same with Little Mermaid.

This debate isn't about qualifying pictures, it's about what social impact they have.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
What about "I love LA"...or "Sail Away"? Outside of that ONE song, nothing Randy did for Pixar is recognizable, much less grammy award winning.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Heck, he did nearly the same work for USA and the Monk series...

Theme

And what I think one of his masterpieces (though I love Randy)...the finale song...

JimboJones123

You don't consider "Strange things are happening to me" and "I will go sailing no more" to be songs?
They are by no means catchy songs. It took a solid 5 viewings and about 8 years for them to be in my mind.

Meanwhile, think Little Mermaid, BatB, Aladdin, there are 3 songs in each you will hum leaving the theater, in some cases 5 upon a second viewing and buy the album.

I cannot imagine that the Toy Story CD was on anywhere near as heavy rotation in any personal collection as the three stated above. Oh wait, did anybody actually own a Toy Story CD? Because everybody bought the other 3. Heck, i even owned Sounds of the Prideland. But not Toy Story.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
To be fair, that was sorta in jest and directed at one individual who loves her. I am tired of listening to her all the time, though.

Of course maybe I am just a crotchety old Spirit. But this year is the 20th Anniversary of the absolute best most MAGICal concert I ever went to (and I have been to hundreds): Paul McCartney at the Citrus Bowl in O-Town, floor level about 20 rows from the stage.

Seen him twice... Great show... Awesome to see a living legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom