Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funmeister

Complaining about branding crap is just as bad as the companies doing the branding. Who really gives a crap about a castle or no castle in front of the beginning of a movie. Disney has become machine that does not care about the quality of its product or guest service. It is what it is.

How about for once instead of about cinnamon rolls, napkins, toilets and castle clips...go enjoy it for what it is. Accept that WDW is second tier crap that will never improve until guests stop going. , , is all that is on here yet people get offended when people like "Spirit of '74" gives factual info but then complain that he is negative.

Go see the movie. Enjoy it for what it is. Don't take it serious. Quit worrying about how many times the boy in the front row was offended and enjoy the ride and excitement of what it is.

If you are upset that the Disney logo or brand is stamped all over this movie then stop supporting the company and make your voice heard. Write letters...yes with an "S"....plural!

Take back your Disney Independence....or don't but for the love of Jesus please stop complaining about crap that you cannot control and enjoy the product for what it is!

Hi Ho Silver Awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Captain Chaos

Complaining about branding crap is just as bad as the companies doing the branding. Who really gives a crap about a castle or no castle in front of the beginning of a movie. Disney has become machine that does not care about the quality of its product or guest service. It is what it is.

How about for once instead of about cinnamon rolls, napkins, toilets and castle clips...go enjoy it for what it is. Accept that WDW is second tier crap that will never improve until guests stop going. , , is all that is on here yet people get offended when people like "Spirit of '74" gives factual info but then complain that he is negative.

Go see the movie. Enjoy it for what it is. Don't take it serious. Quit worrying about how many times the boy in the front row was offended and enjoy the ride and excitement of what it is.

If you are upset that the Disney logo or brand is stamped all over this movie then stop supporting the company and make your voice heard. Write letters...yes with an "S"....plural!

Take back your Disney Independence....or don't but for the love of Jesus please stop complaining about crap that you cannot control and enjoy the product for what it is!

Hi Ho Silver Awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Someone had way too many Starbucks burnt mud coffees while on Main Street waiting for the fireworks... LOL...

articos

WDW guests don't expect individual service; they expect better service.

As a matter of standard practice, WDW used to routinely provide superior service at a lower inflation adjusted price. WDW once was considered a Gold Standard service provider, not just in the theme park industry but across all industries. There was a time in the 1980s and 1990s where WDW constantly was cited as a premier example of what highly profitable companies can do to excel. Premium service providers looked towards WDW as a model of how to run their high-end businesses.

Not anymore.

Highly profitable isn't good enough anymore.

Charging $150/night for a $30/night room isn't profitable enough for corporate Disney anymore.

Everything at WDW has been "value engineered" almost beyond recognition.

WDW's focus is no longer on wowing its "guests". Instead, its focus has devolved into what corners can be cut? How much can the product be cheapened and still not be noticed by most "guests"? How much can prices be increased?

Those in WDW management who believed in the "Disney Difference" were forced out years ago.

WDW has become Wal-Mart.

WDW is a shadow of its former self.
I can't like this enough.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Or as I call it "Brand lowering" or the "let's remove Walt's name, ,s and anything that used to make different divisions of the company special and unique" initiative

I admit I still am not fond of seeing just disney with the castle instead of Walt disney productions and the castle. First time I saw I I had to rewind and watch again....and pick my jaw off the floor.

Not a fan of losing the Walt.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I admit I still am not fond of seeing just disney with the castle instead of Walt disney productions and the castle. First time I saw I I had to rewind and watch again....and pick my jaw off the floor.

My iPad isn't letting my edit right now, sorry for double post....

I wanted to add that both my mom and room mate didn't notice the change until I pointed it out. The roommate shrugged. Mom said "wow, but why?" And that was it. Again, I had to scoop my jaw from the floor.

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, no Spirited Musings on the Fourth ... but I'll wade back into our film (and burger) discussion a bit.

I saw a movie that's gotten a lot of flack from some fanbois and critics today and I absolutely loved it. OK, I didn't love it, but I liked it a lot. And that does sorta explain the whole point in buying a ticket and spending time you won't get back at the end viewing the creative product of others.

I didn't find the film scary. I didn't find it to be insulting to its source material. I didn't find the film dark and depressing like Man of Steel at all.

Just to be clear, the film I saw today was from Disney ... but ... not the one that everyone has been ranting about of late. No, I finally got a chance to see a film this afternoon and I had a choice at the same time of either Monsters U or Despicable Me 2. I opted for the film that came out last week and went with Pixar.

I don't quite understand why so many fanbois, and now even some critics, feel it's hip to rip on the Emeryville crew. I guess 14 out of 14 is a record that none of us would want. MU had everything Pixar films are known for from incredible animation to characters I cared about to a GREAT short to start things off.

No, it isn't one of Pixar's best. It may even be one of their worst, but what exactly does that mean when the bar is held so high? Compare to Star Wars, which put out two films (some fans might say three) that were unwatchable, and its six. Compare to Star Trek or Harry Potter or 007. Pixar's quality and consistency is absolutely amazing and unheard of anywhere.

So, maybe there's only 2-3 films that I'd rank below Monsters University. But that isn't a slam on the work created. It's a statement of admiration and appreciation for what Pixar has been able to accomplish. Since I sat thru a matinee showing of Toy Story two days before Christmas in 1995, I've come to realize that Pixar simply won't let me down. Sure, some films may be better than others ... and for every fanboi who loves The Incredibles, there's another that hates it, for every person I know who thinks WALL*E was the best Pixar ever put out, there's another who says Toy Story 2 or Toy Story 3 or Up or Ratatouille or ... you get the idea.

In the end, I've come to think of Pixar sort of like ice cream. All the flavors are wonderful, it's ice cream, but people will always have favorites just like they do with that frozen treat.

So much like the whining over Cars 2 (mostly Larry The Cable Guy hate) or Brave, all I'll say is Pixar might one day make a truly bad film. But they haven't yet ... just like I've never truly had bad ice cream.

WDW1974

Original Poster
As to the burgers, being that I am in Florida right now that means Five Guys today.

They were excellent. So were the fries. I was a bit worried because just before we arrived a tour bus of tourists plowed in ... and I was even having second thoughts about dining there. It did take 23 minutes to get our food (which normally would result in me talking to corporate, but not on July 4th when a group of 50 people came in in addition to everyone else) but I was happy eating peanuts and sucking down Cherry Coke (insert your own fanboi joke here).

Oh and @Lee, watched fireworks from all over the beaches from the 11th floor of our meeting location. Turned out to be perfect ... well, except for some live moppets a floor below that had to keep singing the Star Spangled Banner and chanting 'USA!!! USA!!!' ... it took all my willpower to not start yelling back 'Let's Go China!''

GiveMeTheMusic

But they haven't yet ... just like I've never truly had bad ice cream.

LOL. Loveyoumeanit, but I have definitely had bad ice cream.

Haven't seen MU yet, but I can tell you with Cars 2 and Brave I was disappointed. If they hadn't been Pixar I probably would have liked them much better - they were enough below the bar for me that like many DreamWorks films, I never need to see them again. Once was enough. There are some DWA films I can watch over and over and over, but only a couple. It's a testament to just how good Pixar has been that "disappointments" come in such pretty packages.

I'd really like it if Pixar made an "adult" movie - not adult as in erotic, just a serious adult movie with nothing for the kids. Could be an incredible experiment, and one that will never happen.

And what if they put the castle in front of it? THINK OF THE CHILDREN

yeti

Just got back from Lone Ranger. Flawed as it is- predictable, cheesy dialogue, overcomplicated, overlong, overblown, unnessesary flashback/forward cutaways, too violent-- it is a fine piece of summer camp that entertains more than it tries to inspire. I disagree with many critics over the visual effects, the action scenes were well-choreographed (though I found the opener with the train rather clumsy) and I thought the CGI itself was more convincing than (MoS)t flicks we've been getting recently. Some surprisingly poignant elements to it (loved the end credits-stay to the middle, don't stay to the end). Closer to-but not as good as- the first Pirates, far better than any of the sequels. More fun than a lot of movies have been this summer, certainly deserves better reviews than it's getting, and I too would be glad to see a sequel. I'd give it...3/4 lucky badges.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Funny, I didn't assume it would succeed, in fact I was surprised they were going with that, in that location.

There just isn't enough of traffic in that direction for people who want to go bowling AND see one of the other things, Cirque du Soleil, concert at HOB or the movie theater...........oh, and DisneyQuest, WHO could FORGET that!???

Well, I assumed they'd succeed because Disney couldn't have that building empty again. They've been looking to shutter DQ for a decade now. They can't largely because they can't fill that space.

But, seriously, what do you think it would do to plans for whatever the name of the moment is for Disney Mall if Splitsville goes belly up?

tissandtully

As to the burgers, being that I am in Florida right now that means Five Guys today.

They were excellent. So were the fries. I was a bit worried because just before we arrived a tour bus of tourists plowed in ... and I was even having second thoughts about dining there. It did take 23 minutes to get our food (which normally would result in me talking to corporate, but not on July 4th when a group of 50 people came in in addition to everyone else) but I was happy eating peanuts and sucking down Cherry Coke (insert your own fanboi joke here).

Oh and @Lee, watched fireworks from all over the beaches from the 11th floor of our meeting location. Turned out to be perfect ... well, except for some live moppets a floor below that had to keep singing the Star Spangled Banner and chanting 'USA!!! USA!!!' ... it took all my willpower to not start yelling back 'Let's Go China!''

I had the pleasure of enjoying Five Guys while I was living in DC before they were a big chain. I have to applaud them on their consistency. I've never considered them too expensive as $6 burgers that are half the size are the norm in DC now. But I'be never had a bad experience and the food always tastes the same and always fresh. Something that's hard to do on that scale.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Well, I assumed they'd succeed because Disney couldn't have that building empty again. They've been looking to shutter DQ for a decade now. They can't largely because they can't fill that space.

But, seriously, what do you think it would do to plans for whatever the name of the moment is for Disney Mall if Splitsville goes belly up?

Well I think the big problem is location, which started when the West Side was built in the first place IMO.

When Pleasure Island was still open, you had a very big area for shopping and dining on the "east" side, then the adult-only or at the very least, adult-oriented area, then another west side with a few mediocre shops and event venues that take a few hours to experience.

lazyboy97o

Since the Splitsville building holds the fancy model, I could see Disney propping up Splitsville so long as they're parading potential tenants through there.

HMF

It takes a lot of willpower to prevent me from screaming at the screen when I see the generic "Disney" appear in lieu of Walt Disney Pictures under that Castle.

tissandtully

I was always surprised at how busy Virgin Megastore was, especially with their insane prices while people were able to buy directly from Amazon too. It's such a huge building. I'll admit I haven't been to Splitsville yet, will have to check it out.

the.dreamfinder

Of course, they could operate it and maybe put a little MAGIC into it.
God forbid...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom