Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoDave219

I was in the busing business for many years up until 2 years ago, when I retired, I never heard us referred to as a breaker. We were known as relief drivers though, or just plain relief.

More buses are not the answer. It might help a little but the congestion, not to mention the carbon footprint would be hugely affected. Not worth it to the environment just so you can get on a bus 10 minutes sooner to go no where important. Public transit is what it is. It is controlled by many outside forces. If all anyone has to wait is 20 minutes that is better then most public transit systems in medium sized cities and a pretty good average.

So a 20 minute wait followed by a 20-30 minute trip is acceptable?

Goofyernmost

There was a time when Walt Disney World prided itself upon being more efficient than municipalities. Heck, there are a number of news pieces from the 1970s and 1980s discussing just how many lessons government could learn from Disney in terms of city planning (and public transportation is frequently discussed in those).

For the amount of money guests pay (part of which is a built-in cost for transportation--so no, that bus service isn't any more free than that ride on Space Mountain is), Disney should be a model of efficiency and quality. It shouldn't be less efficient than the government...

I find it a bit depressing that fans consider Disney transportation to be, "good enough--it is free after all!"
Yes, but that was because of the miraculous Monorails and it was before EPCOT was built. Not much transit happening at the time. But what was going on was impressive. Monorail, Ferries, Peoplemovers, etc. You never heard that nor would have had even the slightest chance of hearing it once they started to get really complex. That didn't really happen in earnest until Studio's opened and a few more resorts, then it became a serious situation. At that point Disney was asking municipalities how to make it work or at the very least, hired people that were from public transit.

WDW1974

Original Poster
quoting a 12 year new article...darn spirit you have quite a memory;)

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/jan/14/business/fi-12144

Yes, I do. But not the point here. I was with the man the day after he gave said interview and he wasn't all that comfortable about what he said ... or my reaction to it.

Not to pile on Georgie K, but some folks might wonder how someone so responsible for many of the missteps of DCA. 1.0 (like destroying millions of dollars of Eureka floats instead of shipping them out to the warehouses in the Inland Empire that Disney has) and the general decline of the resort during his first tenure (June 2000 to February 2002) was able to stay with the company and continually move up the chain to his current position.

Goofyernmost

So a 20 minute wait followed by a 20-30 minute trip is acceptable?
I don't see how it can be altered or even why it should be. That is the price paid for riding the bus. It's filled with people you don't know and it is, but design, slow and time consuming. Want to go faster? Use a car, otherwise it certainly is acceptable and expected. Mass transit doesn't work by only taking a few people at a time. It becomes more efficient when the numbers of riders are high. That is what offsets the high cost of operation, and believe me it is very high cost. The cost of a single bus is high enough, but, in the overall scheme of things, it is just the tip of the iceberg. Fuel is, at least, 3 times more expensive then it was when the system started.

WDW1974

Original Poster
NPR had a great show about this topic a couple of months ago. It seems that real problem for the networks is how to gauge the amount of people actually watching the advertisements/commercials,and in turn how much they can actually charge for their product(except for sports, advertisement dollars are way down). The network stations are starting to tier the pricing just before of just after the show breaks because people just might see a few seconds of the commerical before fast farwarding their DVR. Media companies are still a little behind because it is still viewed as the best way to reach the largest audience but metrics are still unsure.

That's very true. And it's an issue. But there's no way the industry and advertisers are going to fight to not allow any platform to be ad free. I don't blame them. Right now, I have a banner ad here on MAGIC for Netflix advertising the Lorax. Advertising isn't going to go away, no matter how many folks think they're too busy or too important to be bothered by them. But the question is how much is being seen when not viewed live ... the old-fashioned way.

Trying to gauge vierwership more accurately is why the industry shifted from nightly/live ratings to DVR Plus 3 and why they'll likely switch to DVR Plus 7 as the standard. ... When some shows pick up four million viewers if you go out just three days, you'll get why this is so important.

WDW1974

Original Poster
This tv show kinda reminds me of Lost.....

IIRC Spirit stated that a writer or two are on board for it.

Brian K. Vaughan is behind it from a writing standpoint. Jack Bender was Exec Producer.

The show,btw, was down 12% last night from the opening, but still put up GREAT numbers for a Monday during a holiday week in July.

This could lead to more fresh programming in the summer. Indeed, CBS is giving a second chance to its Unforgettable procedural (which it cancelled last season) with new episodes starting July 28th. I think it's very smart programming. There are plenty of folks who can't afford WDW (or other vacations) or don't take vacations in summer who want to watch something other than a repeat of a Halloween episode of their favorites in the dead of July.

WDW1974

Original Poster
She has a very minor part, and although there's some annoying shtick with her leg, she's not significant enough to make a difference either way.

Reviews are supposed to be embargoed until July 3rd, and there's a reason for that...

My guess for the final outcome: 30% on RT with a much higher score from audiences. Not high enough to prevent it from being a flop, but higher.

Have you seen it yet, Tom?

Goofyernmost

Still, the argument that "We provide this service to co-exist with our other service, but this service in unreliable and you should use your own transportation to make sure you don't miss an appointment" is a bad argument.
Nothing that is stated in your quote is altered by the system. It does co-exist with other services, but it is not essential to it. There are many ways to get where you are going, buses are just one of the options. It is up to the individual to provide other options, not Disney. They offer you a way to get where you are going and it really cannot be called unreliable. It's only unreliable if it never gets you there. It is a system that has it's flaws and it's advantages. As long as mechanical equipment is used and that equipment shares the highway with other competing equipment, times cannot and I'm sure will not ever be guaranteed. Nothing is without costs. The nature of public buses is the cost of shared expense of a transportation method.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Simple laws of economics. Charge more for a product, fewer will buy it.

Based on recent behavior:
  • Annual Pass prices up 17.3% in 2 years.
  • Premium Annual Pass prices up 12.3% in 2 years.
  • Children under the age of 10 now are charged the full adult AP price.
  • AP merchandise discount was cut in half.
  • TIW price went up 33%.
Disney sure is acting like they do not want more AP holders.

Nah, Disney is acting like it wants to profit more off of every guest. They will push until they feel they've pushed too far. Last year, my AP went up $35 after an almost $12 increase the year before. This year, it went up $10. ... I am very much hoping someone allows me to put up some numbers about the STARK difference in the number of WDW APers from 2008 to 2012. You listening, someone?:D

HMF

Yes, I do. But not the point here. I was with the man the day after he gave said interview and he wasn't all that comfortable about what he said ... or my reaction to it.

Not to pile on Georgie K, but some folks might wonder how someone so responsible for many of the missteps of DCA. 1.0 (like destroying millions of dollars of Eureka floats instead of shipping them out to the warehouses in the Inland Empire that Disney has) and the general decline of the resort during his first tenure (June 2000 to February 2002) was able to stay with the company and continually move up the chain to his current position.
Wasn't he just acting as a mouthpiece for Pressler/Harris?

WDW1974

Original Poster
So we're believing Jim Hill now?

What's the story about a broken clock being right twice a day?

Jim is certainly right more than that. And while I don't want to give him or anyone else publicity, I hate when I post something and months later (or longer) someone claims they have 'broken' a story about the same thing I reported. Now, Jim should have written about it on his site as he sorta went about putting the info out in a place very few will read it, but he tends to be very cautious in what he writes about these days.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think it's been pretty consistently agreed upon among insiders here that the Star Wars expansion would involve a bike coaster (themed to the speeders on Endor) taking over the IJ stunt show space.

So, yeah, the only presence of Dr. Jones in WDW would be removed. Though I would think that IJ would show up somewhere else at WDW at some point -- either in Adventureland or somewhere else in DHS or possibly (though it would be a stretch thematically) in DAK.

Nope.

Disney has very little interest in Dr. Jones either in the cinema or in its parks.

KYWDW

Nah, Disney is acting like it wants to profit more off of every guest. They will push until they feel they've pushed too far. Last year, my AP went up $35 after an almost $12 increase the year before. This year, it went up $10. ... I am very much hoping someone allows me to put up some numbers about the STARK difference in the number of WDW APers from 2008 to 2012. You listening, someone?:D
And Saratoga Springs CM's didn't ask us about getting Ap's for the first time this year. Any correlation to the smaller price increase?

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 , are you saying that shanghai doesn't have the best attractions, or not a lot of attractions coming to that park?

I agree with you about Thor 2, Thor was the only Marvel movie I didn't care for, and I don't really care about the sequel! (I will say that I am happy Kat Dennings is coming back. I love 2 Broke Girls!)

I am saying that SDL has a very small roster of attractions (some will be very impressive or should be) and I am not sure Disney wants Americans who have a free Internet (just one that every keystroke is recorded by the government to use against you at some future date if they feel they have a reason) to be spending years saying 'that's ALL they're building?!?!' because folks in China will read that. There's only so much good will having the largest and tallest Disney castle will earn you with the central government in Beijing.

They all well recall how what was announced in 1999 for HKDL was not what opened in 2005. Of course, you couldn't drop 40-50% of the park this time because you'd be left with a castle and a pair of spinners and not much else.

Ah, Two Broke Girls or as folks at CBS call it 'The Vagina Show' (some use another term).

WDW1974

Original Poster
The park did get delayed to 2016, might as well put some more attractions in for the time being.
A monorail would be sweet too! ;)

Did they announce that and I somehow missed it? Last I heard they were shooting for late 2015, although there was no offical date released ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom