Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

willtravel

I wish there was a way they could combine both the existing subway "ride" portion with the new Kong attraction. I am so pleased a Kong attraction is coming, but on the other hand, it will likely be a screen-experience like USH, and seeing another opening attraction leaving after losing Kong and Jaws, so it doesn't have me dancing on rooftops or anything.
That is my concern as you said a screen experience. That is not something I am interested in...

HMF

Except we do know NFE did not give them the bump they wanted or expected... They thought it would what Carsland did for DLR. Shockingly to them, surprising to no one here, it did not. But I get your point about them liking to make their own "pomp and circumstance" to use your word. They did have a press conference about benches afterall.
If they really believed that what amounted to a re-located and doubled spinner, A re-dressed Mickey's Toontown Fair, a dark ride import from DCA and a glorified Restaurant and Meet & Greet with a kiddie coaster opening later and only added to make it more interesting for a wider audience was going to bring a CarsLand type boost then the people in charge really are delusional. New Fantasyland as it exists now is well-done and looks great but it lacks substance. Never mind the fact that most of the original MK Fantasyland cosmetically is still standing pretty much as it was in 1971 with the Tournament-tent look DL ditched over 30 years ago.
That's why I can't buy the New Fantasyland angle because it's not a "New" Fantasyland It's an expanded Fantasyland with new stuff but it isn't the full refresh that DL's "New Fantasyland" entailed. It's also quite ridiculous if you consider that the new elements of Fantasyland would fit right in stylistically with the Dark Ride Facades from Disneyland but instead you literally have a wall separating the old and new styles making the contrast even more jarring.

Pixiedustmaker

Never mind the fact that most of the original MK Fantasyland cosmetically is still standing pretty much as it was in 1971 with the Tournament-tent look DL ditched over 30 years ago.
. . .

you literally have a wall separating the old and new styles making the contrast even more jarring.

NFL should raise hopes for cosmetic changes, at least, in the older parts of Fantasyland. They now have the capacity to shutdown PP/SmallWorld/VillageHaus, for extended re-imaginings as they've got a back-up Fantasyland area. Kinda like how Dumbo will never be 100% closed for refurbishment if they can help it, one spinner will always be going.

Pentacat

I will say this and I am a Peter Jackson Fan but I don't think the man has ever heard of editing or at least does not have a feel for it.

Given the huge budgets he works with I think the issue is that he feels he must "put it all on the screen" in order to continue to justify those enormous budgets.

Reactions: |Q|

HMF

There's been a few on the recent Mission:Space DVD features from Disney, plus there were some discussing the new Test Track and FLE on the Disney blogs....they're around ;)
I can think of quite a few, The ones you are referring to are Sue Bryan who was Show Producer For Mission:Space and Melissa Jeselnick who was project manager on the new Test Track (I am not sure if Project Manager is higher on the ladder than Show Producer or not) Other well known women Imagineers are Show Producers Kathy Rogers (Deppification of Pirates, Haunted Mansion 2007 Re-Haunting and Hall of Presidents with Obama) Lisa Girolami who was Show Producer for all of the new DCA with the exception of Cars Land and of course Kathy Mangum who was Producer of Cars Land and is now Creative Leader of the WDW portfolio for better or worse, hopefully for better.

Taylor

I can think of quite a few, The ones you are referring to are Sue Bryan who was Show Producer For Mission:Space and Melissa Jeselnick who was project manager on the new Test Track (I am not sure if Project Manager is higher on the ladder than Show Producer or not) Other well known women Imagineers are Show Producers Kathy Rogers (Deppification of Pirates, Haunted Mansion 2007 Re-Haunting and Hall of Presidents with Obama) Lisa Girolami who was Show Producer for all of the new DCA with the exception of Cars Land and of course Kathy Mangum who was Producer of Cars Land and is now Creative Leader of the WDW portfolio for better or worse, hopefully for better.
Kathy M also nemofied the seas and did a decent job with a crappy budget.

Pixiedustmaker

Disney most definitely did NOT leak or orchestrate the leakage of plans. This was a CM acting on their own looking to stir things up.

But that isn't important. The plans are.

I think it matters if it is a frontline CM, or if Bob Iger says a new land is coming to WDW.

Why would leaking a D23 announcement a couple months before D23 be considered stirring things up? If the announcement was legitimate, nobody would care once it was officially announced, the "leak" just builds excitement. Sounds like the CM was stirring things up with a false rumor.

They aren't even firm plans, more like borderline Mad Hatter crazy ideas for possibly 3 new lands at DHS, and the plans changed on a weekly basis!

bubbles1812

I think it matters if it is a frontline CM, or if Bob Iger says a new land is coming to WDW.

Why would leaking a D23 announcement a couple months before D23 be considered stirring things up? If the announcement was legitimate, nobody would care once it was officially announced, the "leak" just builds excitement. Sounds like the CM was stirring things up with a false rumor.

They aren't even firm plans, more like borderline Mad Hatter crazy ideas for possibly 3 new lands at DHS, and the plans changed on a weekly basis!
*Yawn* Do you not have anything better to do than accuse everyone here of lying? You do realize things were vetted with multiple sources? And judging by the threads moving around here... I would consider things "stirred up."

the.dreamfinder

Disney wants absolute control over how its message gets out there. They are hardly alone. Beyond that, the leak has thrown off their marketing plans for D23.

I'll use the following example:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompson...he-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-review-embargo
Scott Rudin is ed. And so is Sony. They feel strongly that the New York Film Critics Circle made a deal with them to honor a worldwide December 13 review embargo on David Fincher's "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," which opens December 21. The studio and the filmmakers went out of their way to screen the movie for the NYFCC on November 28; the critics delayed their voting by one day in order to see the film. Every member agreed in writing to honor the embargo. During their vote, the critics did not give the film any awards. But critic David Denby (who fought against moving the voting earlier this year) went ahead and filed a review for The New Yorker for the issue that hits the stands on Monday, December 5, a week ahead of the embargo deadline.
While Denby and The New Yorker had valid reasons for breaking the embargo, namely their double issue came out on the 5th and would not be printed in December otherwise, Sony did not want any reviews until the film was a week out from because they use reviews in their marketing to generate "buzz" as close to the release date as possible.

Pixiedustmaker

*Yawn* Do you not have anything better to do than accuse everyone here of lying? You do realize things were vetted with multiple sources? And judging by the threads moving around here... I would consider things "stirred up."

I'm sure the CM got two bus drivers to back him/her up!

What does it matter if it was "vetted" as there won't be a big announcement at D23? I'm not saying insiders lied, per se, just that they were lead astray by a CM with a grudge, I guess, and they inadvertently passed on said rumor.

Pixiedustmaker

Disney wants absolute control over how its message gets out there.

So because a CM (who has a grudge against D23 people for some reason), leaked a major/amazing announcement for DHS including Carsland, StarWarsland and maybe a Pixar ride . . . the top brass cancelled said announcement out of spite or something?

Pixiedustmaker

Disney wants absolute control over how its message gets out there. They are hardly alone. Beyond that, the leak has thrown off their marketing plans for D23.

I'll use the following example:

While Denby and The New Yorker had valid reasons for breaking the embargo, namely their double issue came out on the 5th and would not be printed in December otherwise, Sony did not want any reviews until the film was a week out from because they use reviews in their marketing to generate "buzz" as close to the release date as possible.

Didn't the movie open on December 21st anyway?

An announcement about DHS would be broadcast to the general media, and would target the general theme park customer base . . . I doubt if most people have even heard the apparently quite false rumors concerning DHS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom