Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

tracyandalex

I am at least 15 pages behind, but I had to come on here and thank you folks really quick. Tonight I had to answer some Marvel trivia question and thanks to ya'll I got most of them right!! Surprised the crap out of the Mr!!

Now back to Top of the Lake

stlphil

Okay, I just got back from the World. No trip report, but I did make some observations relevant to topics discussed on this thread, and I'd like to sprinkle them in here as I get a chance.

First up, RFID cards. No issues using them as room keys, but so insignificantly better than sliding a card as to be mostly irrelevant.

It was confusing using them to get into the parks the first few times, and most people had to have their hands held by the CMs at the entrances, really slowing things up. And even for people who were familiar with using them, they were still no faster than the old way, and probably slower. There is a perceptible delay between tapping and the "spinning" starting, and then you still have to wait a moment to use the biometric reader.

But the real issue came with using them for purchases. My card was recognized/authorized by tapping less than half the times I tried to use it. This meant swiping or entering the card manually. And having to enter a PIN for each transaction was cumbersome and time consuming, so I don't see where the supposed efficiency is going to come from.

And now for an opinion. Anyone (like the execs behind this) who thinks the Magic Bands are going to lead to a lot more impulse purchases is either delusional or never actually steps foot in the parks like a guest. I keep seeing things like "see something you want, and then just tap the band and go". Problem with that is there is almost NEVER a time when there is no line at checkout for purchasing anything, anywhere at Disney World. So where does that impulse, with no time for second thoughts, come into play again? Even if the bands do make checkout a bit faster (which I contend is unlikely thanks to the PINs), does anyone really think there will be cash registers without lines- anywhere or at any time. And call me old-fashioned, but making the effort to pull out a credit card or other payment is hardly a chore that slows me down, it's what I do naturally while waiting in that (usually long) line to checkout.

AndyMagic

So Comcast now finally own Wet n Wild and associated land.

Interesting, no?

It's especially interesting due to the timing of this purchase. The full land-buy of Wet N' WIld was always blue sky until Comcast started flooding the resort with money and made the theme park division a major priority. After that, insiders all said this would happen but I was always told it was still far down the road. We can thank Steve Burke for this warp-speed approach happening lately down there. He speaks quite frankly about his hatred of red tape and doesn't believe that good ideas should sit on the shelf. A lot of people credit these Universal golden years to Harry Potter and the heavy pockets of Comcast but the truth is, all of that would mean nothing if there wasn't someone like Burke up top happily signing off on these additions.

Travel Junkie

Really? I sort of like the fireworks (even with that new age soundtrack), but thought the parade was pretty bad--really dated.

I question whether they have the capacity to go to hard ticket parties at Christmas. It works at Halloween because there are several slow nights during that season. There's less time during the Christmas season that crowds are that light.

I think they are hoping DCA can soak up the crowds that don't pay for the hard ticket at DL. DCA will be chaos those nights if that does indeed happen. Unless they make changes to the programming most of the local audience has seen the parade and fireworks show and would not be willing to pay extra to see it again. Maybe they think they can reel in the out of towners that come in for a warmer Christmas.

Miceage has reported they plan on having a full Christmas show (more than the short intro they have done in the past) for World of Color this year to appease those not willing to pay the extra money for DL. I would much rather see a good World of Color Christmas show than pay extra for the Holiday fireworks and parade. Perhaps RDCT spoils it for me, but I do not like DL's holiday fireworks at all.

GiveMeTheMusic

+1 the christmas fireworks at DL SUCK. The parade is kind of neat tho..but I'd never pay just for that :)

It's not that RDCT have spoiled you, the Christmas fireworks just suck.

Really surprised at the pent up Believe hate! I've always loved the gooooorgeous soundtrack and chosen pyro. No flying characters, but that doesn't bother me. And the snowfall end is still pretty cool 14 years later.

At any rate, I prefer it to Holiday Wishes.

If DLR really goes ahead with MVMCP this year, they are going to be in for a world of PR pain. It'll be fun to watch.

Californian Elitist

Really surprised at the pent up Believe hate! I've always loved the gooooorgeous soundtrack and chosen pyro. No flying characters, but that doesn't bother me. And the snowfall end is still pretty cool 14 years later.

At any rate, I prefer it to Holiday Wishes.

If DLR really goes ahead with MVMCP this year, they are going to be in for a world of PR pain. It'll be fun to watch.

I was fine with Believe at first (still, I never thought it was a great show), but after working at Disneyland during the holidays, I got sick of it. It didn't help that I never really liked them in the first place. It's a very slow show. Not to mention the Halloween fireworks are far superior. Having to see Believe at least three times a week, EVERY WEEK, was too much for me. I'm sorry, but they just don't do anything for me. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will cough up the extra cash for the fireworks and parade. I'm just not one of them.

Magenta Panther

It would be reason enough to visit USO. Literally. It would probably be the busiest restaurant in Fl.

I must agree. BOG is amazing, but a Hogwarts Hall with those floating candles..and imagine the place at Halloween, with floating Jack O'lanterns...not to mention that the ceiling has its own weather...yeah, it'd rock...

GiveMeTheMusic

I must agree. BOG is amazing, but a Hogwarts Hall with those floating candles..and imagine the place at Halloween, with floating Jack O'lanterns...not to mention that the ceiling has its own weather...yeah, it'd rock...

It was rumored that USH/USJ would get a Great Hall restaurant - hope it pans out.

GiveMeTheMusic

I was fine with Believe at first (still, I never thought it was a great show), but after working at Disneyland during the holidays, I got sick of it. It didn't help that I never really liked them in the first place. It's a very slow show. Not to mention the Halloween fireworks are far superior. Having to see Believe at least three times a week, EVERY WEEK, was too much for me. I'm sorry, but they just don't do anything for me. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will cough up the extra cash for the fireworks and parade. I'm just not one of them.

I feel like we're growing further and further apart.

Californian Elitist

I feel like we're growing further and further apart.

No, we're not!

hug_squeeze.gif

Magenta Panther

And 15,000 likes (maybe four from @Lee) ...I can't fully believe it, after the less than MAGICal welcome I got here five long years ago, but you like me. You really, really like me!!!:)

M-I-C...see ya real soon! K-E-Y...why? because we LIKE you! M-O-etc etc etc.

I have nothing else to add, I've just got insomnia...again...

wdwfan4ver

WDW1974,

I have 3 questions based rumors I read since some of them sound far fetched from sites like Screamscape and Orlando Business Journal. Here are the questions:

1.) How likely is Monstropolis going to DHS with it taking over New York Street Sets and Muppetvision?
2.) How likely is DHS getting a rethemed Fantasmic and a new Fireworks show based on Star Wars?
3.) Did you here anything about Carsland being scaled back to taking over Canyon, LMA, and reminder of Backlot Tour?

WDW1974

Original Poster
I prefer to retire to a hot tub with a lady friend in lieu of about Disney.

Me too. But it is hot as hell here, which takes some of the joy away from that AND, more importantly, my favorite lady is faaar away from me right now.

Hell, my favorite fanbois are too!

I just ain't got nobody right now :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom