Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbles1812

Yes, but the first time was after 9/11 and the parks were dead. I had no issue with them doing whatever was needed during a national crisis period.

This time they are doing it strictly for financial reasons. This time they are using the excuse that MM+ will enable guests to see more than ever before (enjoy the FPs for Wishes, the Aladdin spinner and PoC)so there is no need for any extra hours.

But there will be on this. Not when they phase out the night hours (likely after Spring Break), but when all those Mommys (some who even blog) can't get their morning hours, watch out!
Well I guess the Mommys will be good for something then (finally)... Disney won't like them talking bad about the company to all the other mommies will they? ;). Course I guess they could just up their bribes to get said Moms to shut up...

bubbles1812

Can we talk about the fact that this is now a thing that happens in Adventureland, like, all day long?
That is special... I've been wondering about ways I can get some power. Now I know ;)

Where does that happen? Trying to picture the place. And is there ever any variation to the script? How often does that happen? (And egads, do I feel sorry for the CM that hears that all day long)

WDW1974

Original Poster
I heard about this last week and someone described the whole announcement as being "another" part of the OLC's aggressive 5 year cost-cutting plan. This person would know what they're talking about, and it's not the first time I've heard mention of TDR making cuts.

The Tokyo product is still leagues above anything we're seeing in the states, but I am a little concerned that 10 years from now, we might look back at right now (or a year or two ago) and view that as the "glory years" of TDR much the same way we look back at early-1990s WDW now.

Eliminating Mythica (one of the most gorgeous pieces of Disney entertainment) without an immediate replacement is a bit puzzling if it's not being done to cut costs. On the other hand, it sounds like Mermaid is receiving a nice upgrade and the projection show will fill a serious gap in the nighttime entertainment lineup.

Due to cultural pride and the guest demographic, I can't see TDR ever truly slipping, but it is a bit concerning to me...

I don't know who you talked to (and as always feel free to email and we can make fun if @Lee Like we always do!), but OLC recently announced plans to spend close go $2 billion on its parks through the end of the decade. So I don't think this is cost cutting. That said, I agree. Mythica is an amazing spectacle that isn't even ruined by the foamheads.

I have heard that there will be a replacement for Mythica, but that it won't be an immediate follow.

I worry more about Tokyo getting their recent attractions from here ... Stuff like TSMM, Turtle Talk, PhilharMagic. That's more of a concern right now.

Any trip report/observations coming here or on your site?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Most will never even consider dining Ruth's or Shula's for a quality steakhouse. They are content with the familiarity of Le Cellier, it is a glorified Outcrap Steakhouse.

Nah, at least Outback and, my personal fave for mid-range steak, Longhorn will give you an entire meal for between $12-25. And in better and more comfortable dining rooms.

Le Cellier shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Shula's.

PhotoDave219

Sorry this is the last I will say on the subject since tornado safety is wildly off topic but having lived in the Midwest my entire life dealing with tornadoes, tornado warnings, watches ect, I take it seriously when someone has bad info that could cost lives.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ddc/?n=over

As it says at the link... That 91 storm was very weak. And those people were very lucky. Overpasses are terrible places to seek shelter the face of a strong tornado. Under the girders is not the place to be.

No worries. Im a weather junkie. I get it

WDW1974

Original Poster
Besides, if they actually do add something in the "backlot" corner of the park, that means one or more existing attractions will first be removed, thus reducing overall capacity.

For there to be any real hope to reduce wait times at other DHS attractions, total ride/attraction capacity in the park must be increased.

Which makes me wonder about the plans because things are being replaced, not added. And if this goes forward (or when because I don't want people suggesting I am changing my stance on this, I'm not, it will happen) realize the park will actually have a smaller footprint when all is done than it does now.

tirian

I own plenty from DLR, but more of it is older than more recent. I like much of the DCA 2.0/BVS/CL merchandise, but not enough to buy it. But liking it is better than I feel about most of what I see at WDW.

The DCA 2.0 stuff is mostly in Cast Connection now.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I agree with you 100%. Planning a trip to WDW has almost reached the point of ridiculousness, and with the MagicBand/NextGen stuff added, it will reach that point.

We visited Busch Garden Williamsburg last year, and it was so nice just to be able to walk around a park and enjoy it. I had researched the park a bit so I was familiar with the rides and the layout of the park, but we were able to just take our time an enjoy everything. I haven't been able to do that at WDW in a really long time because even if I am not in a hurry, the people around me all seem to be frantically rushing to get somewhere.

And that is why for every smiling having the time of their life guest I see, I usually see 3-4 that range from unhappy to miserable to I'd rather be getting a colonoscopy than be here types.

tirian

was in the mk for my 1st keys/kingdom tour yesterday,was pretty great..
then went to the studios to catch the new star tours.
both parks super crowded but had a blast..

rode transformers for 1st time today..was technically a marvel in feat and style but its so similar to spiderman.
i still highly recommend it tho.

I finally got an AP to Uni and spent all day at the resort. Transformers might be better than Spidey. :)

WDW1974

Original Poster
A friend of the family stopped by the MK while in Orlando. He said it seemed to him to be "a low rent amusement park."

He's not anti-Disney and has no axe to grind. That was just his honest opinion.

Every time I hear stuff like this, I get more ticked off with Disney.

Well, as someone who has been to quite a few theme parks across our little third rock from the sun, including every Disney park, the MK has a very low-rent, outlet mall vibe. There wAs a time when it surely did not.

WDW1974

Original Poster
How much money did the Tsunami & earthquakes cost them?

They are doing quite well. OLC financials are available on their English language site.

I believe insurance paid a chunk of their expenses for being closed for six weeks in 2011 after the quake.

the.dreamfinder

APers are supposed to get them as well.
That's interesting because wearable tech breaks and it can be expensive to replace. My Nike Fuelband that I've had for four months decided it wanted to break; the button broke which makes the band pretty useless when it's not connected to the computer via USB. Now the folks at Nike customer support were fantastic and they got my replacement under warranty to me in two business days. However bringing this back to the MagicBands and their current fumbles with MM+, I wonder how reliable the bands will be because I doubt Disney will want to replace an APers broken MagicBand without some sort of service charge and/or they may not be equipped to deal with the issues that could arise from defective MagicBands.
Food for thought.

For the folks who have tried on the MagicBands, how would you describe its build quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom