Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirian

I'll crawl out of the shadows to add and confirm a few things.

Disney is concerned because Guests aren't spending money, but unique merchandise has vanished from Walt Disney World. I visited Universal Studios over the weekend and spent over $200 on one-of-a-kind HP and Transformers gear, and other people had bags of souvenir crap. Yet I haven't purchased anything other than food on Disney property since Christmas. That includes Epcot, which is obsessed with women's T-shirts, and Hollywood Studios, which has been overrun with identical plush toys. Heck, you can't even get a Test Track keychain or antenna topper at Test Track. Everything costs too much, everything is generic, everything is sold everywhere. Disney needs to fix this ASAP if they want Guests to start spending money again. Right now you can walk through the parks and see very few merch bags.

There's not much to add to the Hollywood Studios discussion, except that several departments have been notified they should prepare to move their offices away from certain areas that are marked for expansion. Oddly enough, the Beauty and the Beast contract renewals are up in the air, but Disney is hiring more stunt men for Indiana Jones.

Cameras, microphones, and speakers have been installed in Mickey's meet and greet rooms in the MK and DAK. The talking heads should go live within a few months.

Now to add my two cent's worth to the Magic Band NextGen discussion. More than anything else, the promise of crowd management sold execs on My Disney Experience ©®™. The explanation goes like this: crowds have reached almost unmanageable levels, and any new attraction will only drive attendance and add to the chaos. Look at how much busier the MK got based on one restaurant and a simple dark ride! Instead of building new rides, the plan is to force Guests to plan each day in advance; eventually Disney can phase out Standby queues at certain attractions and keep people moving all day. The data mining will help schedule CMs, target merchandise to specific demographics, and improve sales pitches.

Is the Magic Band completely horrible? No. But it is being touted as the solution to Ops problems. That, my friends, is the crux of the issue. Execs aren't planning exciting new attractions for the MK and Epcot to increase revenue and drive Guest satisfaction. They are depending on a glorified ride reservation system. Yes, you can use the bands for admission and purchases, but the real goal is to spread Guests throughout the existing attractions. This will take years to implement. Don't expect it next month or even next year. Meanwhile, hope that WDI gets to play with Frontierland (one Imagineer called it "the area you walk through to get to Splash and Thunder") and Tomorrowland, because the goal isn't to improve the MK's attraction roster. The goal is to redistribute crowds to existing locations and hope they spend enough money on Photopass and merchandise to justify the NextGen initiative. That's why Photopass paid for half the bracelet budget, and why a chunk of the billion-dollar price tag went to merch register systems.

Money has been dumped into helping Guests schedule every single ride and spend money on stuffed Mickeys. It's not a bad business plan, it's just not what the average Guest wants to do after all the stress already associated with a Disney vacation.

Meanwhile, a few miles away, Uni is building incredible rides. You know, the things that make people actually want to go to a theme park.

Magenta Panther

I myself will never use the Magic Band. It absolutely disgusts me. Take that, TDO!

The talking heads news is awesome. So they have the voice sync and response down to a science now? Is the mouse-talk going to be prerecorded, or will the man/woman inside the Mouse head be able to improvise?

So an expansion IS taking place at DHS? Which areas will those office-workers be forced to vacate...can you specify?

Thanks for the info!

tirian

I myself will never use the Magic Band. It absolutely disgusts me. Take that, TDO!

The talking heads news is awesome. So they have the voice sync and response down to a science now? Is the mouse-talk going to be prerecorded, or will the man/woman inside the Mouse head be able to improvise?

So an expansion IS taking place at DHS? Which areas will those office-workers be forced to vacate...can you specify?

Thanks for the info!

Mickey will know what to say because he's a talking mouse. ;)

Sorry, I can't specify here. It's basically the same areas that have already been discussed. Most of the office workers in HS are in the old Animation studio; they are NOT vacating.

PhotoDave219

IMeanwhile, hope that WDI gets to play with Frontierland (one Imagineer called it "the area you walk through to get to Splash and Thunder") and Tomorrowland, because the goal isn't to improve the MK's attraction roster.

Tangent. This project was greenlit, budgeted for and was about to start construction in Aug/Sept 2001.

The abysmal cluster that is the splash entrance with the area for the train station entrance was supposed to be redone. Papers were signed, monies allocated and they were going to redesign this disaster when everything came to a screaming halt as did travel in the US.

I heard all this back in 04 from a bunch of people when I actually worked there.

GiveMeTheMusic

I'll crawl out of the shadows to add and confirm a few things.

Disney is concerned because Guests aren't spending money, but unique merchandise has vanished from Walt Disney World. I visited Universal Studios over the weekend and spent over $200 on one-of-a-kind HP and Transformers gear, and other people had bags of souvenir crap. Yet I haven't purchased anything other than food on Disney property since Christmas. That includes Epcot, which is obsessed with women's T-shirts, and Hollywood Studios, which has been overrun with identical plush toys. Heck, you can't even get a Test Track keychain or antenna topper at Test Track. Everything costs too much, everything is generic, everything is sold everywhere. Disney needs to fix this ASAP if they want Guests to start spending money again. Right now you can walk through the parks and see very few merch bags.

There's not much to add to the Hollywood Studios discussion, except that several departments have been notified they should prepare to move their offices away from certain areas that are marked for expansion. Oddly enough, the Beauty and the Beast contract renewals are up in the air, but Disney is hiring more stunt men for Indiana Jones.

Cameras, microphones, and speakers have been installed in Mickey's meet and greet rooms in the MK and DAK. The talking heads should go live within a few months.

Now to add my two cent's worth to the Magic Band NextGen discussion. More than anything else, the promise of crowd management sold execs on My Disney Experience ©®™. The explanation goes like this: crowds have reached almost unmanageable levels, and any new attraction will only drive attendance and add to the chaos. Look at how much busier the MK got based on one restaurant and a simple dark ride! Instead of building new rides, the plan is to force Guests to plan each day in advance; eventually Disney can phase out Standby queues at certain attractions and keep people moving all day. The data mining will help schedule CMs, target merchandise to specific demographics, and improve sales pitches.

Is the Magic Band completely horrible? No. But it is being touted as the solution to Ops problems. That, my friends, is the crux of the issue. Execs aren't planning exciting new attractions for the MK and Epcot to increase revenue and drive Guest satisfaction. They are depending on a glorified ride reservation system. Yes, you can use the bands for admission and purchases, but the real goal is to spread Guests throughout the existing attractions. This will take years to implement. Don't expect it next month or even next year. Meanwhile, hope that WDI gets to play with Frontierland (one Imagineer called it "the area you walk through to get to Splash and Thunder") and Tomorrowland, because the goal isn't to improve the MK's attraction roster. The goal is to redistribute crowds to existing locations and hope they spend enough money on Photopass and merchandise to justify the NextGen initiative. That's why Photopass paid for half the bracelet budget, and why a chunk of the billion-dollar price tag went to merch register systems.

Money has been dumped into helping Guests schedule every single ride and spend money on stuffed Mickeys. It's not a bad business plan, it's just not what the average Guest wants to do after all the stress already associated with a Disney vacation.

Meanwhile, a few miles away, Uni is building incredible rides. You know, the things that make people actually want to go to a theme park.

I'm quoting your post in its entirety because I am flabbergasted at the complete idiocy of the people who made these decisions.

The merch point is mind-blowing. This is so EASY. Give people something they want to buy = they'll buy it. And as for MK crowding, if the other parks pulled their weight, it wouldn't be an issue and NFE would have been the blip it deserves to be. Unreal.

PhotoDave219

Thanks for the info!

He's a Mouse. Mickey is a boy and i certainly hope for his sake that he doesnt have anyone inside him.

IHeartArt

Instead of building new rides, the plan is to force Guests to plan each day in advance; eventually Disney can phase out Standby queues at certain attractions and keep people moving all day.

This is legit insanity. Playing ball with your own rides in this fashion is an incredibly cruel thing to do.

He's a Mouse. Mickey is a boy and i certainly hope for his sake that he doesnt have anyone inside him.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

Figments Friend

The merch point is mind-blowing. This is so EASY. Give people something they want to buy = they'll buy it. And as for MK crowding, if the other parks pulled their weight, it wouldn't be an issue and NFE would have been the blip it deserves to be. Unreal.

Completely agree.

A few years back there was a lot of talk/complaints from folks about the lack luster Merch options at World Showcase.
What was once a absolute mecca of truly unique goods was slowly being phased out and replaced with generic *get anywhere on Property (or off ..in some cases)* items.
Created quite a uproar with a lot of people.
It was understandable...and frustrating from a fan, collector, and overall theme-appreciative observer.

I will say this - in some cases Disney seems to be aware and is trying to get better at creating Merch people will want to buy.

EPCOT*s 25th gave them a real wake up call when it came to the power of Merch sales when you offered retro-themed Merch.
Shortly afterwards there was a whole series of neat retro-inspired items, not to mention the big push that was done for EPCOT*s 30th Merch which had many nicely designed items.
Now retro is big business....and WDW regularly touts some new *retro* throwback graphic emblazoned on the newest shirt or pin release.

It could be a LOT better though....and Merch could definately be taken a step up in a better direction in several areas.

As most here will agree, Attraction specific, Park specific, and even Resort Hotel specific stuff is high up on many a Park shopper *want list*... fanbois maybe more then others...but there is definately demand.
If the marketing team in charge of coming up with new Merch concepts/designs would just try out a few items i am sure they will see instant success.

Who would*nt want to buy a Polynesian Resort t-shirt..with cool graphics and colors associated with the Resort?
I would think everyone staying at the Poly would want to buy one to brag to the world they stayed there, or better yet, poor pheasants would want one to wear to try to fool their friends!
:p
Either way, Disney wins and makes a sale.

Fun, attraction specific items always seemed to sell well in the past.
Remember the sensation that was created a short time ago when the Orange Bird *returned* to the MK, and how psyched some fans were at the appearance of those Orange Bird sippy cups..?

I am sure Madame Leota*s Cart outside of the HM does a swift business with the assortment of great attraction specific exclusives.

Those cool Space Mountain t-shirts from a few years ago seemed to literally fly off the racks...or at least fly onto eBay.

I would LOVE to see a cool, rugged looking t-shirt for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.
Hell, i would buy TWO...just to have a backup after i wore the first one out!
I love *Tony*s Mountain* ...and i know i am not alone.

There could be a entire line of childrens* toys and clothing associated with It*s A Small World.
Why not have a plush collection of the dolls from the ride? People eat that kind of *collectors* type of stuff up!

What about line of Jungle Cruise items...? Kids love animals, and adults would love themed t-shirts or even mock *Skipper* attire. Boat models at a consumer price level ( not just the high end collectors market ).

The possibilities are truly endless...exspecially with the collection of characters in the Disney archive, and the multitude of different Parks and Attraction *worlds*.

There is a HUGE market for cool Merch that is Park/Attraction specific.
One sometimes wonders why it takes Disney so long to figure this out....

Of course i realize part of the problem is Joe Typical Guest and his family, who want to buy mostly generic stuff that is obviously *Disney*.
Mickey Plush.
WDW t-shirts.
Inexpensive to produce plastic toys from China.
If better product was offered, and a little more variety in topics....i would think it would sell just as well (if not better) then the old standbys.

But then...that is also part of the problem. Playing it *safe*.
Disney already knows they will automatically sell six truckloads of Mickey Plus, WDW t-shirts, and inexpensive plastic toys made in China.
What they are afraid of is taking the chance with something that in their marketing mind is *unproven*.....like a obscure character plush, or a vintage/extinct attraction designed item.

And thus we see a trend that effects more then just Merch offerings.
This trend also applies to a lot of recent additions to the Parks....and i am not just talking about Merch !

;)

GiveMeTheMusic

I think they need to expand their merch horizons. Why isn't there a Big Al plush? And how about real stuff, as opposed to more pins, t-shirts and (God forbid) Vinylmation. How about HM candelabras or custom printed mini-headstones or singing busts (like the Carbonite yourself system)?

What are the items from the films that people want? They've done an ok job with Star Wars merch (lightsabers, etc). Can I buy Jack Sparrow's compass? What about Mary Poppins' umbrella? Why aren't there "Belle Presents" editions of classic public domain books? A Mrs. Potts and chip tea set (toy and/or the real thing for collectors)? A Cogsworth clock, Babette featherduster, Lumiere candelabra? Ariel's dinglehopper idea is a good one, but the execution and price point ($14.95 for a plastic brush?!) are all wrong; it's a cheaply made piece of poop. Why isn't Ursula's shell necklace for sale, Triton's trident?

I'd buy a Flynn Rider toy frying pan (this could get dangerous though - can just see the little brats whacking everything and everyone in sight). Incredibles eye masks (for the whole family).

There's tons of possibilities, but you know...Duffy.

Figments Friend

There has been Big Al plush in the past...a large, vinyl faced one in the 1980s and a early 2000s beanbag plush.
Not sure why there has not been any for several years...apparently someone in marketing feels the line is not worth exploring.
Maybe the live action film killed off any marketing enthusiasim.

Speaking of such, when the live action film was released, there was a entire set of the movie Bears sold at the Disney Store.

Kids love bears...heck, people love teddy bears in general...so a why not offer a few choice Show Bears like Henry or Trixie?
Why not have a whole set of Show Bears..? I would think collectors and serious Bear fans would love it.

Or the Tiki Birds...lots of merch options there.

alissafalco

I loved the dynamic between Lois and Clark, it was a welcome change IMO. I liked the Krypton mythology, but it was a lot to absorb. They could have spent some of that time fleshing out the characters on Earth. Did not like the last 5 minutes.

What dynamic?? We will have to agree to disagree. Oh, and supermans father's death- god awful!

PhotoDave219

What dynamic?? We will have to agree to disagree.

I enjoyed the way they told the backstory but it quickly morphed into "Generic Superhero Movie" with stale ways of ripping off JJ Abrams and Joss Whedon.

It got quite boring and I had no emotional attachment to the film's characters whatsoever (except for Amy Adams' posterior). We never addressed nor developed Superman's stringent moral character, as he was often referred to as "The Big Blue Boyscout" (as least in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns). There seemed to be complete disregard for any human life/safety during the "lets trash metropolis" scene ... and the Avengers trashed a city better.

If that movie was supposed to be the tent pole centerpiece for the DC Cinematic Universe, then I have serious reservations about it.

Taylor

I enjoyed the way they told the backstory but it quickly morphed into "Generic Superhero Movie" with stale ways of ripping off JJ Abrams and Joss Whedon.

It got quite boring and I had no emotional attachment to the film's characters whatsoever (except for Amy Adams' posterior). We never addressed nor developed Superman's stringent moral character, as he was often referred to as "The Big Blue Boyscout" (as least in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns). There seemed to be complete disregard for any human life/safety during the "lets trash metropolis" scene ... and the Avengers trashed a city better.

If that movie was supposed to be the tent pole centerpiece for the DC Cinematic Universe, then I have serious reservations about it.
I really liked it! I actually thought that it was better then The Dark Knight, best Superman movie that's for dang sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom