Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

stlphil

For a fan, shouldn't the emotional value be standing on the original Main Street USA, riding the It's a Small World that was at the World Fair, eat a Dole Whip while listening to the Tiki Birds, admire the rock work in Carsland and spend the evenings by watching all the different night time offerings? What has the bed I sleep in to do with it?

What about the emotional value of staying in the original Disney park hotel, the one Walt begged his friend to build, extended the monorail to in order to connect it with his park, the one that always beckoned from across the parking lot when going to your car after leaving the park at the end of the day.

As a child going to Disneyland in the '60s, there was a strong emotional attraction to the hotel. Even though it is hardly the "same" hotel today, I was very happy to finally be able to stay there a few years ago, even with Disney's inflated prices (which of course is the case with all Disney hotels). While it isn't a themed environment like the best hotels at WDW, it still feels like an extension of the park. Also, don't underestimate the fun and value of riding the monorail into Disneyland, and starting your day in the back of the park in Tomorrowland.

And the Grand Californian is great. Great themed environment coupled with great location. I'm at the Beach Club Villas right now, with its "convenient" access to DHS and relatively easy walk to Epcot. But neither of those compare to the really easy walk into DL, or the convenience of being inside DCA, where going back to the hotel room for a breather doesn't require a moment of second-guessing the decision because it is so easy to do.

WDWFigment

Since this is the de facto film thread on the boards, I'll highly recommend Before Midnight. Best film I've seen so far this year.

If you haven't seen Before Sunset and Before Sunrise, make sure you see those first. You'll know based on those two films whether this is for you. This is a bit less optimistic in tone, but it's still brilliant.

Sue_Vongello

Since this is the de facto film thread on this boards, I'll highly recommend Before Midnight. Best film I've seen so far this year.

If you haven't seen Before Sunset and Before Sunrise, make sure you see those first. You'll know based on those two films whether this is for you. This is a bit less optimistic in tone, but it's still brilliant.

I second this wholeheartedly.

And will add that Frances Ha is a pretty great little summer flick.

WDWFigment

I'll third and second Tom and Sue's recommendations. Also, Mud starring Matthew McConaughey is a fantastic film and would totally recommend folks seeing it while it's still in theaters.

We've been meaning to see Mud, but this is the first I'd heard of Frances Ha. Sounds pretty interesting.

alissafalco

First, RIP James :(

Second, I finally saw Man of Steel last night. Good, but there were some dialogue issues and the ending went on for too long.

I thought it was terrible. I hated the changes they made to the story and not a good choice for Lois Lane. There was absolutely no chemistry between them. When they kissed it seemed awkward. I felt like I was watching a made for TV movie on the sci-fi channel.

stevehousse

I understand the upset over the cinnamon rolls but I think it might be more strategic planning than anything! Disney knows everyone goes to tht bakery to get the rolls, and with Starbucks being as popular as it is, maybe they didn't want people crowding the line even more than they would for a Starbucks drink just to get a roll?

Also maybe think of the move as a good crowd dispersment, trying to get everyone away from the crowded Main Street and more spread out throughout the park???

Just a thought!

Rodan75

I thought it was terrible. I hated the changes they made to the story and not a good choice for Lois Lane. There was absolutely no chemistry between them. When they kissed it seemed awkward. I felt like I was watching a made for TV movie on the sci-fi channel.

I loved the dynamic between Lois and Clark, it was a welcome change IMO. I liked the Krypton mythology, but it was a lot to absorb. They could have spent some of that time fleshing out the characters on Earth. Did not like the last 5 minutes.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I understand the upset over the cinnamon rolls but I think it might be more strategic planning than anything! Disney knows everyone goes to tht bakery to get the rolls, and with Starbucks being as popular as it is, maybe they didn't want people crowding the line even more than they would for a Starbucks drink just to get a roll?

Also maybe think of the move as a good crowd dispersment, trying to get everyone away from the crowded Main Street and more spread out throughout the park???

Just a thought!
Probably true, but they moved them to new FL which has enough of a draw. If they wanted to disperse crowds they should sell them on TSI or at Country Bears or COP.

ThemeParks4Life

Yeah, I think in the sequel it'll work better.

RunnerEd

What about the emotional value of staying in the original Disney park hotel, the one Walt begged his friend to build, extended the monorail to in order to connect it with his park, the one that always beckoned from across the parking lot when going to your car after leaving the park at the end of the day.

As a child going to Disneyland in the '60s, there was a strong emotional attraction to the hotel. Even though it is hardly the "same" hotel today, I was very happy to finally be able to stay there a few years ago, even with Disney's inflated prices (which of course is the case with all Disney hotels). While it isn't a themed environment like the best hotels at WDW, it still feels like an extension of the park. Also, don't underestimate the fun and value of riding the monorail into Disneyland, and starting your day in the back of the park in Tomorrowland.

And the Grand Californian is great. Great themed environment coupled with great location. I'm at the Beach Club Villas right now, with its "convenient" access to DHS and relatively easy walk to Epcot. But neither of those compare to the really easy walk into DL, or the convenience of being inside DCA, where going back to the hotel room for a breather doesn't require a moment of second-guessing the decision because it is so easy to do.

Staying at Paradise Pier next month. Any advice or experience there?

doctornick

A mildly interesting non-denial denial from Disney regarding Star Wars and Cars expansions at DHS: Channel 13 article.

I asked Disney World spokesman Bryan Malenius to confirm the rumored addition to Disney's Hollywood Studios. Here's what he told me:

"For more than 25 years, our partnership with LucasFilm has helped bring the imaginative universe of Star Wars to life at our parks and resorts across the globe," Malenius said. "We remain excited to explore new ways to bring these stories to life and have nothing to announce at this time."

"We have nothing to announce at this time" strikes me as exactly the sort of thing that would be said when a rumor is true, but they don't want to validate it or conversely outright contradict it. If they are "saving" a Star Wars announcement for D23 (and I believe they are) then this is probably how they'd react to the leak.

PhotoDave219

I heard that too and also thought "Non-denial denial."

If there was no truth to them, they would've simply said "there is no truth to these rumors."

Which reminds me I need to read "all the Presidents men" again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom