Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolna

I understand and appreciate the skepticism of anyone when talking about TDO. But I also can't help but feel that many fans aren't excited by the size and scope of these changes.

If WDW was not such a stale product, then I might understand that 'tude. But considering the lack of major changes at the parks, I don't get it.

I think many people might feel like they have been disappointed too often by things not happening. That's why they are so hesitant to get their hopes up.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
For a fan, shouldn't the emotional value be standing on the original Main Street USA, riding the It's a Small World that was at the World Fair, eat a Dole Whip while listening to the Tiki Birds, admire the rock work in Carsland and spend the evenings by watching all the different night time offerings? What has the bed I sleep in to do with it?

It's a "Disney" resort. With a big hat and all the magic (and some worthless plusses)...

That's what.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974

If Burbank is the driving force behind DHS, then ...

1. What function/purpose does TDO serve?
2. Why wouldn't they push for bigger after seeing their success at DCA?
3. Could the "spirited change" not necessarily be personnel but governing body? Meaning could Burbank take over and just have TDO be an arm for implementation?

1.) To operate WDW largely;
2.) As little as possible has been WDW's mantra for the last 15 years, why change;
3.) I don't comment on Spirited change!

NoChesterHester

I understand and appreciate the skepticism of anyone when talking about TDO. But I also can't help but feel that many fans aren't excited by the size and scope of these changes.

If WDW was not such a stale product, then I might understand that 'tude. But considering the lack of major changes at the parks, I don't get it.

These boards have been building with negativity for years now. Hard to reverse the fan zeitgeist that quickly.

Do they realize how disgruntled the hard core fans are? Do they realize how much they have damaged the brand that is WDW? If so... Does that play into the decisions now?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Exactly! This.

Essentially that's what I was getting at ... if Burbank keeps overriding them, what's the point of their "authority" ... Maybe that's what Burbank is realizing.

Burbank has largely overlooked all of the incompetence in the swamps because the bottom line has been that WDW has printed money.

But of late they have realized that there has been a cost involved in that, one that takes a while to show up and a lot longer to fix.

GiveMeTheMusic

There are a few ... And that doesn't include those transitioning like say @Lee ...or the brony crowd.

memes-come-at-me-brony.jpg

HenryMystic

I'm pretty excited, but I do feel like I'm in the minority. You're right, it is strange. I think it all depends on how you feel about a lesser Cars Land, and I'm completely fine as long as that means Star Wars.

We don't even know enough details to be disappointed, but most fanbois are obsessed with Epcot and hate DHS no matter what.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
These boards have been building with negativity for years now. Hard to reverse the fan zeitgeist that quickly.

Do they realize how disgruntled the hard core fans are? Do they realize how much they have damaged the brand that is WDW? If so... Does that play into the decisions now?

I don't think they do. I think they write it off as a "fan bubble"...a darned if you do, darned if you don't.

And, largely, they are correct. Unless they take time to stop focusing on individual complaints (no cinnamon buns is a recent example) and focus on the larger picture and how it impacts their bottom line directly.

As Disney cheapens and shallows their experience. And this is exactly what I think MM+ is...I'm a huge supporter of a Disney planning app, and RELIABLE Wifi on the parks, Disney has never provided that to me on my trips, and from what I can tell, still doesn't...I NEED reliable internet to be able to spend many thousands a year at Disney and leave work for 2 - 3 weeks (as I continue to work remotely) and Disney has disappointed me on all trips and inconvenienced my trips outside of the wired internet at DLC and in 2011, when CBR had wired internet again.

What I think they don't get, and this is just supposition, is that the hard core fans are the leading edge of a general trend in people just not being interested in Disney, and eyeballing cheaper or flashier options.

WDW has always had competition for the vacation dollar, but Florida is not the "family summer play and stay destination" it used to be. Evidence of this is how well the DCL and other Cruise Lines have done.

I don't think pre-planning tools and over-complex rules (like pre-planning fast passes and ADRs) about how the theme park should work are going to fix that and make WDW a premier stop anymore. The fact is, they haven't added all that much, and the quality of what they do offer has dropped.

Those who know the parks, know how to make them work well. Those who don't? Well...they go once...and then aren't all that interested. THAT is Disney's "Blue Ocean"...not friggin' Next Gen crap some execs dreamed up in a circle...er...meeting.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I am very glad to see the DHS will get some much needed attention, but I will only consider it a good thing if it is done properly. I am not a business person and please don't take this thread back to business, but you have to spend some money to make some money right? A replica of the DCA Carsland would not be the best idea for DHS. I would love to see us get a new Cars themed land, not a copycat. I believe that both Star Wars Land and Carsland can be huge, but only if they are done properly with truly new experiences (especially for Star Wars) and immersive areas. I guess that applies to Avatar too. I don't think I saw this mentioned, but will any TS locations be added with these new lands? I know Mam Melrose is not everone's favorite, but in a park with not many good TS options (Hollywood & Vile does not count as an option) losing one seems like a bad idea. I know folks have talked about the Cantina in SWL, but was that "confirmed" or just hoping?

I saw Oz this past weekend. I thought it was ok, not bad, but not that great either. DD4 really liked it though for whatever that's worth. We will probably end up buying it because of DD.

I have not seen our favorite Pixie for a few pages, but the word is regardless!!! Sorry, but that has been driving me nuts for 10 pages now.

Harry Potter is all around better than Twilight.

I was looking at the list of the new rides added to FP+ :mad: I have never waited more than 20 mins for any of those rides and do not plan to in the future; nor will I waste a FP+ on them. therefore, as I stated in another thread our guest experience may be decreasing in the future meaning the $$ WDW gets from us may also be decreasing in the future.:(

There are plans for new full serve and quick serve dining locations for the park. Some will use existing facilities that will be reskinned and others will be from ground up.

I liked Oz quite a bit. Just saw This Is the End and loved it. Man of Steel is up next.

Yes, 'irregardless' was bothering me a lot ... Almost like the folks here who can't spell folks' names right like Lasseter, Iger, Rasulo etc

If the day comes when I either need to wait more than 15 minutes or make a reside for Mansion, Pirates or Small World then that will be when I drop my AP. In parts of 17 dAys at WDW last month, I got exactly three FPs and they were not required by any means.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Tell him I've stayed there. Completely not worth it. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice hotel...but he can get the same room and walk the hotel at night and do everything there outside of swim in the (rather neat) pool. The light up fireworks headboards (actually rather cheesy) and minor Disney touches are not worth the extra cost considering how close partner resorts can be.

EM hour benefits are not worth it at that resort...nor is the "third gate" to California Adventure.

More importantly, the room was small, Mousekeeping was average, the shower water wasn't hot or of great pressure (a pet peeve of mine), the wifi was spotty (didn't work around the pool, firepit or at the bar), and the hotel has incredibly thin walls (I won't get into that in too much detail...lets just say I heard water creaks and other noises...and leave it there)...

Just...not worth it.

He knows that. May even read it here. The decision will be guided by child-like emotion and not rational adult thought.Disney has built an empire on taking advantage of people with that mindset.

the.dreamfinder

There are plans for new full serve and quick serve dining locations for the park. Some will use existing facilities that will be reskinned and others will be from ground up.

I liked Oz quite a bit. Just saw This Is the End and loved it. Man of Steel is up next.

Yes, 'irregardless' was bothering me a lot ... Almost like the folks here who can't spell folks' names right like Lasseter, Iger, Rasulo etc

If the day comes when I either need to wait more than 15 minutes or make a reside for Mansion, Pirates or Small World then that will be when I drop my AP. In parts of 17 dAys at WDW last month, I got exactly three FPs and they were not required by any means.
Eddie Sotto always misspells Lasseter. And he's an Imagineer... from the 20th century!!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
He knows that. May even read it here. The decision will be guided by child-like emotion and not rational adult thought.Disney has built an empire on taking advantage of people with that mindset.

Hah, well, for the record, the person I was planning it with really wanted to stay at a "Disney" resort (she had been to many Disney Parks before, but never stayed at one"...and that skewed me to try it out (plus, I wouldn't mind it, it's just darned expensive!)...

So, I get your point completely!

I just wrote it off for her since she isn't from the US.

Magenta Panther

Well. @pheneix was also the one who alerted us that Avatar was nearly not happening. When that thread started I checked out the posting history and found lots of interesting posts before I became a regular reader here. So I would not say "new poster" - but "welcome back" certainly fits and I will second this!

Thirded!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom