Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterAlt

Cameron is great. My vote for creativity goes to JJ Abrams though. Overall, Cameron is more accomplished but Abrams can really keep you on the edge of your seat. Taking on Star Trek was an extremely tough challenge and IMO he pulled it off great and opened the door to so many possibilities for future movies. Fringe and Lost are in a league of their own as far as tv shows go. (if your into those kinda shows).
JJ Abrams was the best choice for Star Wars, but he's still no (early) Lucas, Cameron, or Spielberg.

PeterAlt

You'd have to think that the already massive budget for the next Avatar movie just got even bigger. Cameron would have to be crazy to not ask Disney for some $$$ after they made this huge commitment to basically transform an entire park around this franchise. Disney won't want to build all of these attractions based upon another "meh" Avatar movie.

Perhaps, with a little Disney influence, Avatar 2 will not only be visually impressive, but a quality film as well.
Cameron is King Midas. He would have nothing to do with Avatar 2 if any of his standards were compromised.

OldBill71

Cameron is King Midas. He would have nothing to do with Avatar 2 if any of his standards were compromised.

Avatar was obviously, a very successful movie $ wise, but I don't think I've talked to one person or read one message board post by someone who thought the movie was anything more than a visually impressive movie that had very little "guts" to it. The plot was predictable, the acting was sub-par and the dialogue was poorly written.

Movies can make $$$ on cool visuals, but true classics need more than "cool effects."

Independence Day is fun to look back on and think about how "awesome" it was when it first came out, but I don't think anybody is watching it over and over again for its strong acting or engaging plot lines. Same thing goes for Avatar

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Premium Member
You never saw Alien?
Nope. Nor, Aliens.

I did, however, see Terminator when I was a teenager. There was a line where Arnie says "F-you, A-hole".
My father shortened that to plain old "Terminator".
For years, my brothers and I would growl "Terminator" at each other whenever we were fighting.

PeterAlt

Avatar was obviously, a very successful movie $ wise, but I don't think I've talked to one person or read one message board post by someone who thought the movie was anything more than a visually impressive movie that had very little "guts" to it. The plot was predictable, the acting was sub-par and the dialogue was poorly written.

Movies can make $$$ on cool visuals, but true classics need more than "cool effects."

Independence Day is fun to look back on and think about how "awesome" it was when it first came out, but I don't think anybody is watching it over and over again for its strong acting or engaging plot lines. Same thing goes for Avatar
No, I disagree. There was actually a scientific study that studied the effects Avatar had on people. Under hypnosis, a scary percentage of people claimed that they experienced the scenes first hand and it was real. As a control, they asked them about scenes from other movies and no one claimed to have experience those in real life and that what was described were from movies. No other movie in history has had that kind of effect on people. Only a master film maker and a master work of art can achieve something like that

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
No, I disagree. There was actually a scientific study that studied the effects Avatar had on people. Under hypnosis, a scary percentage of people claimed that they experienced the scenes first hand and it was real. As a control, they asked them about scenes from other movies and no one claimed to have experience those in real life and that what was described were from movies. No other movie in history has had that kind of effect on people. Only a master film maker and a master work of art can achieve something like that
Link please?

OldBill71

So they tested every other movie in history to see if people "experienced" the movie in their dreams?

There are Avatar crazies, just like there are Disney crazies and Star Wars crazies and My Little Pony crazies. Having crazy people think your movie was good doesn't mean it was good.

Avatar had great visuals. Aside from that, it didn't have anything of lasting value, in my opinion.

PeterAlt

So they tested every other movie in history to see if people "experienced" the movie in their dreams?

There are Avatar crazies, just like there are Disney crazies and Star Wars crazies and My Little Pony crazies. Having crazy people think your movie was good doesn't mean it was good.

Avatar had great visuals. Aside from that, it didn't have anything of lasting value, in my opinion.
Then why is it the highest grossing film? I think people who criticize it and James Cameron are jealous of their success.

By the way, they didn't test every film. It was a random sampling that included classics like Star Wars, Ben Hurr, Casablanca, Psycho, Wizard of Oz, 2001, etc. Did I just name half the movies on Great Movie Ride?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I love this post. I have no idea if it's true or not, but I just love it anyway. You are either a very knowledgeable guy or smoking some great stuff. Either way carry on.:)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Then why is it the highest grossing film? I think people who criticize it and James Cameron are jealous of their success.

By the way, they didn't test every film. It was a random sampling that included classics like Star Wars, Ben Hurr, Casablanca, Psycho, Wizard of Oz, 2001, etc. Did I just name half the movies on Great Movie Ride?
I still want to see this study.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom