Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

kagacins

Cameron is great. My vote for creativity goes to JJ Abrams though. Overall, Cameron is more accomplished but Abrams can really keep you on the edge of your seat. Taking on Star Trek was an extremely tough challenge and IMO he pulled it off great and opened the door to so many possibilities for future movies. Fringe and Lost are in a league of their own as far as tv shows go. (if your into those kinda shows).
JJ had almost no relationship with Lost and Fringe beyond helping to get their pilots made. I do wish he would not be attributed with so many enjoyable shows with which he largely had a passing acquaintance.

Captain Neo

JJ had almost no relationship with Lost and Fringe beyond helping to get their pilots made. I do wish he would not be attributed with so many enjoyable shows with which he largely had a passing acquaintance.

You have no idea what your talking about. JJ helped layout the story for both Fringe and LOST, Composed the theme songs for both shows, and directed several episodes

Magenta Panther

Then why is it the highest grossing film? I think people who criticize it and James Cameron are jealous of their success.

By the way, they didn't test every film. It was a random sampling that included classics like Star Wars, Ben Hurr, Casablanca, Psycho, Wizard of Oz, 2001, etc. Did I just name half the movies on Great Movie Ride?
Cameron is King Midas. He would have nothing to do with Avatar 2 if any of his standards were compromised.

What standards? He created characters few people care about or even remember. Pretty low standards he's got there. :D

Magenta Panther

I like it. It reminds me of the original art for Beastly Kingdom. Could be the Joe Rhode influence. The fact that they are planning to use this as a way to get the park to be a full day park and they were able to get extra funds for this is a good sign that things are finally changing for the better! Also, Flying over Pandora is pretty much confirmed.

By who?

kagacins

You have no idea what your talking about. JJ helped layout the story for both Fringe and LOST, Composed the theme songs for both shows, and directed several episodes
Error. He directed zero episodes of Fringe. He directed only the pilot of Lost (which absolutely was amazing). Theme song music, while helpful in setting the tone, just cannot count. After the first season of Lost, he completely turned over the show to others. For Fringe, he co-wrote 6 episodes (far more than me, but the show did run for 100 episodes). I'm not saying he isn't a creative and clever guy, but I do think I have some idea about which I type.

Last edited:

kagacins

I do want to sincerely thank you for keeping me in check. My original statement was too sweeping - my primary point was that I don't like when shows are known as "J.J. Abrams' shows" when other creative minds were really captaining the ship during the best years of their runs. Civility!

Captain Neo

Error. He directed zero episodes of Fringe. He directed only the pilot of Lost (which absolutely was amazing). Theme song music, while helpful in setting the tone, just cannot count. After the first season of Lost, he completely turned over the show to others. For Fringe, he co-wrote 6 episodes (far more than me, but the show did run for 100 episodes). I'm not saying he isn't a creative and clever guy, but I do think I have some idea about which I type.

That's certainly alot more involvement than just "he just helped them get the shows approved" which is what you were saying. BTW, he actually contriubted more than what I wrote he remained an executive producer and consultant throughout the duration of both shows and was involved with plotting each season.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And thematically boring and empty, just like the movie.

Maybe they will throw in some muppets to spice it up;)

Seriously, I am no fan of Avatar as a movie. I saw it, it was OK, nothing more or less. I don't really care about the movie. If it translates into a good theme park area I'm in. Why do theme parks need to be based on hit movies again? I know its completely over quoted, but Song of the South, not in my DVD collection...Splash Mountain is my favorite ride at WDW. The movie and the ride are basically mutually exclusive.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There's Sigourney Weaver, Main Guy, That Bad Guy Who Drank Coffee, umm... that rhino with the weird head, that big glowing plant that the lanky smurf did a flip over and it was all 3d and like WOAH. They're all memorable characters!

Haha. Yeah I'm not seeing huge lines for the meet and greets. Can they do a blue Mickey? Maybe Goofy riding one of those bird like things. That I would wait in line to see;).

PhotoDave219

My relationship with Cameron stops and starts with Titanic, which I have seen at least 100 times (18 at the theatre!) and which I am watching right now on A&E while my Canadian Thanksgiving turkey roasts.

I can relate a little more to Jack and Rose over giant blue cat-like people.

Clearly you missed a love story called "aliens"…

FigmentJedi

There's Sigourney Weaver, Main Guy, That Bad Guy Who Drank Coffee, umm... that rhino with the weird head, that big glowing plant that the lanky smurf did a flip over and it was all 3d and like WOAH. They're all memorable characters!
Thank you for reminding me of the story an anonymous Cast Member told on 4chan months ago about how they knew someone in a meeting room with Meg Crofton and TDO discussing Avatarland and when the question was raised about if they could name any characters from the movie, the room was silent and Meg just shrugged.

PeterAlt

Too bad you don't have a link, this sounds interesting. Googling avatar movie hypnosis study doesn't come up with anything relevant. Maybe the American Hypnotical Association would have some info?
Try the keywords Avatar and "depressed" or "depression" because that was a big part of it. The ones who claimed the Avatar experience as real also suffered from depression after they saw the movie. Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom