Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldBill71

Then why is it the highest grossing film? I think people who criticize it and James Cameron are jealous of their success.

By the way, they didn't test every film. It was a random sampling that included classics like Star Wars, Ben Hurr, Casablanca, Psycho, Wizard of Oz, 2001, etc. Did I just name half the movies on Great Movie Ride?

Well, if The Great Movie Ride isn't a good base for scientific inquiry, I don't know what is.

Nubs70

If you are using a scientific study as proof of your argument, then you should be prepared to give citations...otherwise it's just your opinion.

And I did look it up and found nothing...so I'm lead to believe that you made this up.
Citations....... What real scientists do

PeterAlt

If you are using a scientific study as proof of your argument, then you should be prepared to give citations...otherwise it's just your opinion.

And I did look it up and found nothing...so I'm lead to believe that you made this up.
It is my opinion and I didn't mention it as "proof". If you couldn't find it, I imagine I would have equal difficulty finding it. I know what I read and have no reason to make stuff like this up. Since you've been reading my posts here, have you ever read anything I wrote where I deliberately intended to mislead or outright lie about things? That said, take what I said or not. I really don't care.

CDavid

No, I disagree. There was actually a scientific study that studied the effects Avatar had on people. Under hypnosis, a scary percentage of people claimed that they experienced the scenes first hand and it was real. As a control, they asked them about scenes from other movies and no one claimed to have experience those in real life and that what was described were from movies. No other movie in history has had that kind of effect on people. Only a master film maker and a master work of art can achieve something like that

Scientific as in a research study documented in a professional journal, or "scientific" because it appeared in an online source, news organization, or magazine (something like Psychology Today)? Because there is a HUGE difference.

It also makes a difference in knowing where to search at.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Then why is it the highest grossing film? I think people who criticize it and James Cameron are jealous of their success.

By the way, they didn't test every film. It was a random sampling that included classics like Star Wars, Ben Hurr, Casablanca, Psycho, Wizard of Oz, 2001, etc. Did I just name half the movies on Great Movie Ride?
Adjusted for inflation...Gone with the Wind is the highest grossing film, by nearly 500 million more. Just sayin'...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
When Avatar turns out something into the cultural lexicon outside of "oh, it was good, I remember seeing it in theaters and the effects were fantastic"...I'll buy all this.

Compare that to people who can quote Star Wars...heck, even Star Trek for non trekkies, the average person knows the main characters and can quote from the movies.

Here's a fun challenge...play the Jaws "duh duh" music to people on the street and then play the opening score from Avatar...see who can identify which?

I have nothing against Cameron, when he turns out a blockbuster based around a lackluster plot using visuals and presentation to overcome his obvious plot holes, he does it well. But, that's about all he can do.

Have a terrible script, but still want to make a ton of money off it? Give it to Cameron! (or in a lesser way, the Cameron wannabe...Mike Bay).

gonnichi

So Avatarland and Star Wars Land are expected to open by 2017. Are there any new rumors about MK and Epcot getting new major attractions that may open around that same time? I just feel that AK and DHS will just take Attendance from MK and Epcot in 2017 and not from Universal Orlando since UO is spending 500 million a year on its parks every year for the perceivable future. I don't want to see Disney spend all of this money on expansions for DHS and AK and not increase overall Attendance at WDW.

kpilcher

No offense to any of the above posters, but F&W crowds on the weekend are pretty well-documented by this point--going to F&W on a weekend is like going to MK on Christmas day, you should know what you're getting into and therefore forfeit your right to complain about crowds. ;)
Ya know. You're wrong. Sorry. Don't wan't to be confrontational. BUT. I'm a local. I expect crowds. Especially on weekends. But I DO NOT expect the same crowds that leads to phased 2-3 closings at MK at Holidays. sorry. Disney does not and has not and will not prepare me for that in the middle of the off-season. I (sadly, reluctantly) do not sample as much as I would like. But to expect locals to just "deal with it" flies in the face of how Disney markets this event to US. I can know and understand how the cool culture smiles and laughs at the closures, most APers will not and will never understand. You may gain a feeling of superiority , temporarily. BUT without locals Epcot would be deserterdCOT 5-8 months out of the year at closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom