Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
But it also applies to this site.. just because someone reports on happens and changes in the parks.. that doesn't mean they are trying to label themselves a journalist. This site doesn't.. and it's the top 'news' site for WDW. So unless you think WDWMagic itself is oxymoronic... that's the glass house we're sitting in :)

I will proudly place the way I source any hard news that I have broken here (from Potter in two parks to George Kalogridis becoming WDW prez to DCL expanding etc) right up with standards that top journalism organizations use.

That is why things often get delayed or are only partially released (GAC changes since someone e-mailed about that and it is on my mind).

So, in those cases, you are getting as if a journalist was reporting it.

The opinions and perspective, well, they are all mine.

vagabondarts

So, anyone's wife, boyfriend, cousin's lawn man, etc want to defend a blogger/podcaster/lifestyler tonight?

That was a hoot, wasn't it?

I don't know any of the people but thought defending them was worthwhile considering some of the stuff that was being said. I would want someone to do the same for me.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The Orlando Sentinel's article is titled Universal may add thousands of hotel rooms. This should be the most frightening quote for corporate Disney:

Burke told analysts that NBCUniversal wants to position the Universal theme parks as "a family destination in and of itself, and not an add-on destination for somebody that spends three or four days somewhere else."​

Universal is going for the jugular while corporate Disney plays with a $2B wristband designed to squeeze a few more percent out of their already grossly overcharged "guests".

Burbank has no clue about the pending train wreck in Orlando. At least they can count on an Avatar Land and a value engineered Star Wars Land to save the day.:rolleyes:

In about 5-to-7 years. :banghead:

I would give up almost anything to be able to be a fly on those walls and hear what their thought processes really are ...because I don't get it at all.

They are not going to be able to open significant new attractions before late 2017 or early 2018 at the soonest. Do they not realize that not only is their product stale now, but it was a decade ago? Do they not realize how much significant and top of the line product UNI will have open then?

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, so I just have to quote fully from the Universal investor call. It's just too good not to share:

"We love the Theme Park business. We think there’s a real opportunity to increase the pace of new attractions. We have far too few hotel rooms in Orlando and the one thing we know, when people stay in our hotels, they stay – they visit our parks an extra day or two – and so we have 2,400 hotel rooms. We think we have room and capacity for 10,000 hotel rooms. So you’ll see us add attractions at a more rapid rate, add hotel rooms at a more rapid rate, and we think the returns in that business are great and there’s great running room."​

And later:

"Well. Our park business continues to be strong. We’re on a cadence now of opening one attraction in Florida and one attraction in California every year. We opened Transformers, the Transformers attraction in Hollywood two years ago – and it was so successful we sped up the development of Transformers in Orlando and opened that in the beginning of this summer. We have two parks in Orlando, but the park where we opened Transformers has been up 20% most weeks since that attraction opened. And our feeling is that if we open the right kind of attractions – they have to be well executed, they have to be things that are easy and created a market – that we can really grow these businesses.

"The thing that we’re most excited about, what really transformed our park in Orlando was opening Harry Potter, which happened a few years ago. We’re opening a second Harry Potter attraction in Orlando, which I think is one of the most creative ideas I’ve ever seen in the theme park business. The first attraction is in one of our gates – it’s called Islands of Adventure. The second attraction is in the other gate and the way you get from one gate to the second gate is you take a train, and the train is the Hogwarts Express, and so the actual transition or the movement from one gate to another gate is part of the attraction which has never been done before and it’s a wonderful, creative idea. That opens next spring. We think that’s going to be a very big draw. And then we’re opening Harry Potter in Hollywood and in Japan.

"So I think our feeling is, first of all, the economy is seems to be positive for theme park attendance and people are coming to Florida and Southern California. But within what’s going on a macro level if we can continue to invest in innovative attractions, get the right kind of marketing that explains to people what Universal Studios is – that it’s a destiny, a family destination in and of itself, not an add-on attraction for somebody who’s spent three or four days someplace else – that we can continue to grow that business and that’s our plan."
I hope laurels are comfortable because WDW has been resting on theirs for far too long.

There was a very clear message being sent from Beverly Hills up the 101 and into Burbank. No doubt about that at all.

The Empress Lilly

Disney's dominance ends the moment anyone who's paid for GF or the Contemp sets foot in a Lowe's hotel... or the Waldorf... etc.

There's just no going back after that.
I get the funny feeling that people who pay $1000 for a hotel room do go around. They simply never leave the parvenu / underworld culture bubble that they, and WDW's luxury offerings, reside in.

If you walk through the lobby of the GF you realise these people do not alternate their stays at Disney luxury hotels with visits to Gstaad, the Riviera, or Aspen. But with dinner shows in Vegas, shopping trips to malls in Dubai and whatever else it is these nouveaux riches do.

WDW has positioned itself ever lower on the cultural ladder, this goes not only for the trailer parkers who alternate WDW with pilgrimages to Graceland, but also for the moneyed classes. There is a large, insatiable global market for expensive uncultured tourism. WDW will thrive on $1000 a night tourism. Bibbidy-Boppity-Honey-BooBooBoutiques, tiered pricing and VIP entertainment schedules, and overpriced tastlessness are complete magnets for people with more money than class.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Rooms at Poly and GF will exceed $1000 per night this year over the holidays, All UNI needs to do is build a hotel with REAL $500 night rooms (complete with Concierge and lounges with food and beverages) and Disney's dominace of the high end visitor in Orlando is FINISHED.

There isn't a standard hotel room in O-Town that should come close to commanding $500. $300-400, maybe, not that I'd pay that.

Anyone who would I believe lacks the ability to place a true value on things and would be better served sharing with a charity since so many Americans are in trouble. (unless you are a crazy rightwinger who believes you should never help anyone and that they should just get a job at taco bell with their multiple degrees and stop expecting handouts!)

PeterAlt

Just got off the phone with my sister who called me to tell me some Disney news she learned today from a patient (she works at a doctor's office). The patient, she says, is a project manager working on NextGen.

She said he told her to forget everything we're told about why Disney is developing it. She said that he said the real reason for it is so that the company could know where all its guests are at all times. For security. She said that he told her that teenage guests were getting into places that they shouldn't be in. This technology would put a stop to that.

Now, I doubt this is the only reason, but its certain a motivation behind the push to develop it. Also, she insists this patient is the PM on it. I doubt that too. A manager at some level nonetheless.

The Empress Lilly

I don't know any of the people but thought defending them was worthwhile considering some of the stuff that was being said. I would want someone to do the same for me.
I thought the putdowns of that bearded guy in green were a bit much.

I look at him and I don't feel any aggression at all. He looks socially inept, introverted, a man easily overwhelmed by the agression of the gritty, nasty world around him.
Why should that warrant hostility towards him? Me, I hate machos, loudmouth swine, abusive people. These are what gets me worked up, not a friendly geek. But hey, the shy guy is completely harmless and so will not retort, so let's have at him instead!

Kuhio

Just got off the phone with my sister who called me to tell me some Disney news she learned today from a patient (she works at a doctor's office). The patient, she says, is a project manager working on NextGen.

She said he told her to forget everything we're told about why Disney is developing it. She said that he said the real reason for it is so that the company could know where all its guests are at all times. For security. She said that he told her that teenage guests were getting into places that they shouldn't be in. This technology would put a stop to that.

Now, I doubt this is the only reason, but its certain a motivation behind the push to develop it. Also, she insists this patient is the PM on it. I doubt that too. A manager at some level nonetheless.

Maybe the patient is actually a bus driver?

If making sure that teenage guests aren't getting into places they shouldn't be is a primary motivation for NextGen, I would have suggested investing in a couple more security cameras, door locks, and CMs -- it would have cost substantially less than $1-2 billion...

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 will disney replace potc 5 release with Star Wars?

I dunno ...I wonder whether they can get SW done by the 2015 release date they have claimed.

You do bring up sorta a topic I have been thinking about the past week and talking to friends about: namely that I am convinced Disney AND Pixar now make movies for children that they hope adults may like.

Whether we are talking about Tangled, Wreck It Ralph, Cars 2, Brave or Monsters U ...they all are targeted at kids. They are in no way deep or multi-layered like the best films both Studios used to put out. That's why while I enjoyed all of the above films none of them stuck with me at all. Sorta like a sugar high that passes and still leaves you hungry.

A friend who has seen Frozen says that it is very much like Tangled with snow. I don't take that as a good thing.

Oh, and to all the folks who still want to argue about Marvel characters and gambling and children, I was in my local Target earlier today where back to school items are now 30% off. Funny how Spidey, Hulk, iron Man and the Avengers were plastered on all sorts of items, right next to Monsters U and Minnie and Daisy items.

Ignohippo

There was a very clear message being sent from Beverly Hills up the 101 and into Burbank. No doubt about that at all.

I still say, if they were really serious, they should have partnered with Merlin and made sure Legoland was built on Uni property. Adding such a magnet for kids to the Uni resort (and taking ahold of the family demo) would have been the thing to put a nail in the coffin and really put a massive dent in WDW.

They can add as much Lorax, Despicable Me, Smurfs they want, but none of them have anywhere close to the drawing power that Legoland would have.

The lack of space at the resort is a real problem for them. Adding hotels is great, but they really need another gate in order to truly compete with the Mouse.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just wanted to add this... @WDW1974 have you watched the last episode of Breaking Bad? I actually think that it was the best episode of a TV show I have ever watched. It was pretty amazing.

I would in no way call the best episode of a TV series. Hell, there are many BB episodes that I feel are better.

that said, it was damn fine entertainment ..typical of the best BB it started with a slow simmer and started to boil when Walt got the phone call with the dummy money picture, then it all boiled over in the desert.

So many questions ...does someone else have Walt's confession? Why did they show up when he called them off? Is Lydia involved in that? Who will live and who will die? We know Mr. White escapes death again. And the easy thing would be to kill Gomie. I also think it would be weak to off Hank there, but I have a feeling they may go that way.

Kuhio

And if someone or some corporation wants to buy me, good luck to them. My price starts at seven figures...

That's it?

I can offer high six figures + freshly baked cookies...
biggrin.gif

The Empress Lilly

You do bring up sorta a topic I have been thinking about the past week and talking to friends about: namely that I am convinced Disney AND Pixar now make movies for children that they hope adults may like.

Whether we are talking about Tangled, Wreck It Ralph, Cars 2, Brave or Monsters U ...they all are targeted at kids.
Wreck-it Ralph is full of references to 80s and 90s games. Very much geared towards the parents watching the movie with the kid, especially the male demograph Disney coveted in between princessy movies.

Pixar is rubbish lately. Three stinkers in a row, what a disappointment. I blame marketing and commercial pressures, and simply creative lifespan. The well seems dry. Pixar is old and tired. While this could possibly have been overcome if lifespan was the only problem, instead it collapsed owing to the second onslaught of commercial demand.

Tangled is the greatest movie ever! Glorious on my 60 inch 3d Bluray. :happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom