Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Or more significantly... one does not have to be skilled or good in something to be passionate about it.

So just because someone is passionate about something - it does not speak at all about their actual ability to do the job.

It's night and day difference between critiquing something.. and being able to create something.

RSoxNo1

I don't really know how to respond to this anymore. I have many, many times.. Can you bookmark it for the next time someone responds to me as you did?

Here goes :

Disney doesn't want my business, not because I am 'difficult' or any such nonsense, but because of my expectation that they deliver the product they pimp, the product I grew up on, the product they conditioned me to accept.
They want me to just go away. But, if I do, it won't change a damn thing. Indeed, they'll just replace me with a rube who doesn't know any better and thinks WDW 2013 has never been better.

I spend a tiny fraction of what I once did. The days of blowing thousands in a week at WDW are now ancient history. I stay off-site or with extreme discounts onsite or on friends DVC for NOTHING. My days of walking out of the Art of Disney with giant boxes and AmEx statements is over. The DDE days of eating at WDW locales is long gone. And let's not forget how much Disney loses on me in Coke sales! (on that alone, Bob and Willow will have go sell one of the seven homes!)

For all practical purposes, Disney barely makes anything on me. Yet, I still get to enjoy parts of WDW, and enjoy the company of family and friends in the area.

If I stop going, believe it or not, I am just playing into Disney's hands as i will no longer have first-hand knowledge to point out that they are not running their business in a smart fashion for the long term benefits of fans, guest, cast AND shareholders.

So, I'll keep going and, try as they might, they won,t be doing much more than breaking even with me as a guest.
The thing is, you are in the minority of Disney guests, yet you are exactly who they are trying to rid themselves of. They're making these efforts to get rid of the people that aren't contributing $200+ a day and it's all because they think that it's the only way for them to make more money.

Next Gen is technology driven more so than new attractions. An attraction like Stitch's Great Escape has to remain in place for a certain time period so when they do write it off it's easier to amortize the investment. The amortization schedule doesn't change if the attraction is good or bad, it just changes over time. For attractions that period is longer. For NextGen, the technology upgrades are going to require upgrades much sooner. If the initial budget is $2 billion, they're going to need to invest more in it than the would in $2 billion worth of new attractions.

There's something else going on here and I think @WDW1974 is on the right track. This project very well may be subsidized (partially or fully) as a larger scale tracking project that's outside of Disney. I can't believe that the company is this bad at decision making that there isn't more to this.

RSoxNo1

There is a reason a valid photo id is required (should be anyway...they have gotten more strict) when comps are issued no matter what the reason.
Yeah, a friend of mine had his jeans and legs cut by a sharp piece of metal in the Star Tours queue. It was something that was intended to hold the queue chain, but the chain was detached and this particular piece was sharp to the touch. He calmly went to guest services to complain as he justifiably felt that Disney should buy him a new pair of jeans. In the process, they cited an incident that happened several years prior that my friend could not recall. They do track this sort of thing, presumably in an attempt to prevent abuse.

There are things that can be done in goodwill, and those things should continue as part of good business practice. Unfortunately, as is always the case there will be people that look to exploit these sorts of things.

scout68

Yeah, a friend of mine had his jeans and legs cut by a sharp piece of metal in the Star Tours queue. It was something that was intended to hold the queue chain, but the chain was detached and this particular piece was sharp to the touch. He calmly went to guest services to complain as he justifiably felt that Disney should buy him a new pair of jeans. In the process, they cited an incident that happened several years prior that my friend could not recall. They do track this sort of thing, presumably in an attempt to prevent abuse.

There are things that can be done in goodwill, and those things should continue as part of good business practice. Unfortunately, as is always the case there will be people that look to exploit these sorts of things.

...and the jeans?

And as has been stated before, you obviously wanted your question to be public. If you we're so concerned about who responded, you would have sent a PM......

My question was directed to a specific poster (I included the post), as you know. Not sure why you're working so hard to create an issue (and confrontation) where none would otherwise exist. The question was not directed to you, yet you continue to offer snarky "replies".

Given your persistence, I'll simply take the matter up with a moderator, rather than subject the other readers to more of this silliness.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
My question was directed to a specific poster (I included the post), as you know. Not sure why you're working so hard to create an issue (and confrontation) where none would otherwise exist. The question was directed to you, yet you continue to offer snarky "replies".

Given your persistence, I'll simply take the matter up with a moderator, rather than subject the other readers to more of this silliness.
If you think that's snark......

Whatever floats your proverbial boat.....

PhotoDave219

My question was directed to a specific poster (I included the post), as you know. Not sure why you're working so hard to create an issue (and confrontation) where none would otherwise exist. The question was not directed to you, yet you continue to offer snarky "replies".

What's the question?

stevehousse

Instead of subjecting to the silliness of the last several pages go and watch the documentary "Terms and Conditions May Apply" anyone who owns a computer or smartphone needs to see this film!

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Why not? I would think by now the Tony Baxters and Joss Whedons of the world have proven that understanding and loving a production is a great way to success.

I'd imagine he means pixie dust addicts without a spine. In other words yuppie yes men.

Reactions: HMF

PhotoDave219

Do you consider your efforts productive? Do you believe you have any sort of impact?
Billy Chin, Today at 6:27 PMEditDeleteReport
#4754Reply

Yes.....
If I may ask, in what way(s)?

I'm not sure if you can measure effectiveness of a message board discussion alas it tends to take the temperature or is more of the general attitude of the fan base as a whole.

That being said, very few fanbases of entertainment companies discuss financial and quarterly reports in depth.

But don't misunderstand us, we're all fans of the company. We just know they can do better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom