Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

stlphil

The thing is, you are in the minority of Disney guests, yet you are exactly who they are trying to rid themselves of. They're making these efforts to get rid of the people that aren't contributing $200+ a day and it's all because they think that it's the only way for them to make more money.

Next Gen is technology driven more so than new attractions. An attraction like Stitch's Great Escape has to remain in place for a certain time period so when they do write it off it's easier to amortize the investment. The amortization schedule doesn't change if the attraction is good or bad, it just changes over time. For attractions that period is longer. For NextGen, the technology upgrades are going to require upgrades much sooner. If the initial budget is $2 billion, they're going to need to invest more in it than the would in $2 billion worth of new attractions.

There's something else going on here and I think @WDW1974 is on the right track. This project very well may be subsidized (partially or fully) as a larger scale tracking project that's outside of Disney. I can't believe that the company is this bad at decision making that there isn't more to this.
Yes, something else seems to be going on here. When have you ever heard of a project in Orlando that wasn't value engineered to death? We can only wish that would happen with NGE, but the exact opposite seems to be happening here, they can't seem to throw money at this fast enough.

And I don't think that elusive "something" is Iger's ego, or Avatar wouldn't have had the budget constraints we've heard about put upon it, since Avatar is pretty clearly an Iger play.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Yes, something else seems to be going on here. When have you ever heard of a project in Orlando that wasn't value engineered to death? We can only wish that would happen with NGE, but the exact opposite seems to be happening here, they can't seem to throw money at this fast enough.

And I don't think that elusive "something" is Iger's ego, or Avatar wouldn't have had the budget constraints we've heard about put upon it, since Avatar is pretty clearly an Iger play.
Even when Disney value engineers they waste plenty.

spacemt354

Chili's
I would hope (which with Disney may be asking too much) there is a system in place to remotely kill key cards and MagicBands with a new device being enabled as a replacement. Maybe @spacemt354 can tell us if they had to use the PIN to make or change FastPass+ reservations at Guest Services. But stealing somebody's MagicBand to go on their rides seems like a rather silly motivation for me. And since it is being tracked you'd potentially be able to tell where the person is or at the least where they are going.

Apologies for the very late response. I hadn't kept up with this thread so I'm not even sure what the topic is anymore.

But in regards to the PIN. It is a security for the magicband. Each hotel room with have a specific 4 digit PIN number linked to the room's magic bands, which the guests enter when they swipe to pay at dining locations and such. We never had to use the PIN number when making Fastpass+ at our front desk. I had tried to get a more specific answer on the full use of the PIN, but this is what I had understood based on what we were told.

We were concerned initially because one of our rooms could not link a PIN number, so we were concerned the security of our bands were in jeopardy. But the lack of a PIN number simply disabled the swipe to pay functions on the band.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I see that as more a question of personality and character than being a fan. You could also find plenty of non-fan yes men.

True, but I took it that way. I guess there comes a point where you're too much a fan. I mean there are some twisted people out there lol. Then there are level headed people who, if given a job would love what they do but still do the job well without a clouded mind.

alissafalco

I really don't think anything more is going on here other than a company being run so poorly by a bunch of egomaniacs at the top. This is what happens when big successful business's fail. We see this time and time again.

The Mom

Premium Member
My question was directed to a specific poster (I included the post), as you know. Not sure why you're working so hard to create an issue (and confrontation) where none would otherwise exist. The question was not directed to you, yet you continue to offer snarky "replies".

Given your persistence, I'll simply take the matter up with a moderator, rather than subject the other readers to more of this silliness.

This thread (and this thread only) was declared "enter at your own risk" a few hundred pages ago, as there are participants who feel that they can moderate it better than the mods. So they were told to have at it.

As I recall, I said something about not crying to me if someone felt hurt, insulted, offended, attacked, etc. If you don't like the responses you get in this thread, then back away.

But this behavior will NOT be tolerated in other threads! Fair warning.

Longhairbear

This thread (and this thread only) was declared "enter at your own risk" a few hundred pages ago, as there are participants who feel that they can moderate it better than the mods. So they were told to have at it.

As I recall, I said something about not crying to me if someone felt hurt, insulted, offended, attacked, etc. If you don't like the responses you get in this thread, then back away.

But this behavior will NOT be tolerated in other threads! Fair warning.
I know I am asking a way out of bounds request, but might we have one moderated thread that is started by "insiders", or others with an intelligent idea that borders on censorship? Once the thread goes off on a tangent, the comment gets deleted? The very idea goes against my personal beliefs, but really, some of the stuff I have to ignore, or wade through gets me so distracted from the original post, that I find myself commenting on the tangents, and totally ignoring the original post. While true discussion includes off topic ideas, some of these comments stray way beyond the original subject. That includes the original posters who might slide into the gray areas of the rules of non political, or religious comments. It's a lot to ask of the volunteers here, but that's how I feel.

Last edited:

WDWDad13

They have admitted that there will be no "day of" Fastpasses held in reserve for us non-planners.
That's all I needed to hear.
Negative.

of course they aren't going to "hold them in reserve" just like when Toy Story Mania fast passes are out today...they are out. That's how I read this... they won't hold any back but if there are still some available you can get them the day of???

Keys Please

So one thing that may not have been discussed, if FP+ will turn out as described, is the death of the touring plan (and the cottage industry that was built around it) as we know it.

Pentacat

So one thing that may not have been discussed, if FP+ will turn out as described, is the death of the touring plan (and the cottage industry that was built around it) as we know it.

Not to mention killing spontaneous vacation fun.

What's your point regarding this though? It sounds like you're implying something....go ahead and finish the thought.

I wonder, will NGE let me import my FP+ times into my Outlook Calendar? I want to make sure that I can squeeze a conference call in between my SM and BTMR ride times.

Pentacat

No, I think we're rooting for management change

But is there any current "heir apparent" that would really result in a positive change? All the internal candidates make me cringe and what are the odds of the stacked board looking outside when they have all of Iger's business successes staring them in the face? From their perspective Iger has done more for TWDC than all that came before him....growing the brand, blah blah blah.

rael ramone

Despite using a fictional narrative and conjecture, I am going to continue on with "Trudy" and her family's vacation week in Orlando. I will try to keep this short of Homer, but it will still look like my 2 previous "wall of text" posts. In this installment we will fast forward to day 2 of the stay and look at the 2nd layer of "enhanced guest" features. If you are new to this thread or skimmed past my previous posts, the are on pages 207 and 208 or post #4133 and post #4150.

If we recall, "Trudy" scheduled her vacation several months ago. She indicated what days they would visit what park or other Disney venue. She scheduled all her FPPs. So, today was supposed to be Blizzard Beach and the family woke up to severe thunderstorms though out the day. No water park today.

Luckily for "Trudy's" family, they have a car. They also have an open day and a little girl that loves Harry Potter. So the family piles into the car whisks down the I-4 to UO. Disney "sees" the family leave their resort and before NGE would have no idea where they went. With NGE, Disney knows they left property because they left the "net" area. Redundancy systems, (such as a data point MAC ID from "Trudy's" phone) confirm this. There is no entry at Blizzard Beach. We lost a guest (or guests looking at this from large groups of data perspective). This is layer 2 "guest retention".

Thunderstorms on a water park day seem predictable on my vacations. In this way I can relate to "Trudy's" family looking for an alternative. NGE can be applied proactively here, Disney can send an automated message to the hundreds of families like "Trudy's" that planned a Water Park today. "Oh boy, it sure looks like it is going to be a blustery day but.... we have good news for you. To help rise above the gloom, here are 3 unrestricted FPPs for you to collect instantly at EPCOT."

Unfortunately, "Trudy's" phone was on vibrate so she missed this important message. NGE, which is linked into everything in the resorts and parks identifies those families that are redirected to EPCOT. It also identifies the families that it lost for the day. Whole groups of families. However, when "Trudy" returns to her resort after a fun filled day at UO, a friendly, unobtrusive survey person is waiting at the front entrance. The survey CM approaches and asks, "Would you like to take a quick survey today?". "Trudy", being an amiable person, (like me) says sure. The CM hands the "Frankensteined" iPad to her.

The survey asks if they spent their day on the resort property.(Of course, they already know this answer.) "Trudy" answers honestly (data point) that they did not. The survey asks did they visit other area attractions. "Yes". The survey then asks the competition question," Of the Orlando area attractions listed here please select all that apply.". "Trudy" selects only UO. The survey concludes by asking if they would be willing to answer additional survey questions at a later date."Yes". "Thank you for participating in our survey. As a courtesy for giving us your time, here are special viewing area tickets for tomorrow night's performance of Illuminations."

So far we have identified why "Trudy's" family and a few hundred more, left resort property. We further refined where they went. This competition question is important. NGE will help all the current surveys be more relevant and identify groups more likely to give honest answers.They already apply survey results they collect now. NGE will make it better and more targeted. For guest retention, how can we keep them from leaving the resort?

Later that evening, "Trudy" is checking her e-mail. She sees a message from invitation@disneysurveys.com and opens it. There is a link to a brief survey about their UO experience. She may or may not feel a sense of obligation to do it based on the freebie she received earlier or just likes participating. After loading the first survey page she answers yes or no to attractions her family "tried". The next page is of those "tried", what attractions would you try again and what was the favorite. On the third page, there are selections for what about <blank> made it their favorite.

Market surveys are done all the time. They include questions only relevant to the company conducting, the competitions' offerings, or a mix of both. Disney has been doing it for a very long time. As I mentioned before, NGE will make it more reliable.

This second layer of "guest retention" will work to keep guests on property. If there is rain, offer an alternative on property. If there are rides at UO that are pulling traffic, trump that type of experience with something better. If SeaWorld pulls your sea lovers to something, re-purpose area around "The Seas" (there is some room back there). Every competitor can be trumped on Disney property. Plus this will give all of us here something to cheer about, NEW ATTRACTIONS.

Clearly, Disney isn't adverse to spending money. The "guest retention" layer will help them choose what attractions to build, enhance, or replace.( I hear booing again.) All of these layers work together and I have more. Since "Trudy's" family went off their script, there are a lot of things that happened.

Additionally, I didn't mark all the (data points) in this post or many on the last one. There are dozens everyday that I would be interested in if I ran Disney Parks. If fact, from a business point of view, the more information I have that is boiled down for different divisional or departmental use, the better.

*1023*

P.S. I intentionally tried to write in broader group themes here using "Trudy" as a 1 of hundreds in a group. I hope that makes some of the readers more comfortable.

How the company deals with 'Trudy' depends on both how business is doing overall and the attitude of the company. They just might deem Trudy a 'resource drain' if they think (either through hard data or arrogance) that the space her family is taking up could be replaced with one that uses the mouses' offerings exclusively.

asianway

How the company deals with 'Trudy' depends on both how business is doing overall and the attitude of the company. They just might deem Trudy a 'resource drain' if they think (either through hard data or arrogance) that the space her family is taking up could be replaced with one that uses the mouses' offerings exclusively.
Thats the key. And I really wonder what they are going to do when they see lifestyle bloggers using 300/365 days worth of admits to come and run their business out of the resort?

Maybe I am a fan of MM+ after all!

Lee

Adventurer
of course they aren't going to "hold them in reserve" just like when Toy Story Mania fast passes are out today...they are out. That's how I read this... they won't hold any back but if there are still some available you can get them the day of???
Difference being, with FP+ there is a likelihood of all the FP being gone before the park even opens. As someone who has no desire or interest in booking ride times weeks in advance, I don't like it. For me, that makes it a fail.
I predict that the dad who wants to take his three year old on Dumbo, but is faced with either a 90min standby line or using a FP at 11pm (because all the others were booked a month out) will see it as a failure, too.

fosse76

Here is where your statement below bugs me and why the repeat vacationers like me see partially why prices go up, I am now in a indirect way paying for you keeping guests happy. you guys arent giving these freebies for free, we all pay in the end. Its like retail security. Anyways the 4 day passes werent enough, His mother persisted to the point that complaining enough got her and her family a 7 day vacation complete with passes.
THis is the crap that bugs me, it was never disneys fault that southwest was not working and that when a guest
just keeps complaining until they are blue in their face you, the cast members, have bowed down to the practice of just not really standing firm on your compensations but always giving in.
It doesn't cost Disney any money to offer free admission to the parks, and it's not costly for them to offer a free room either...particularly if that room would have been empty anyway. In many instances, Disney makes money on the comps, because it mopst likely is an extra trip that would not have been made, and Disney gets all the ancillary spending that comes with a trip. It's not merchandise with a fixed cost that they are losing. Disney raises prices simply because they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom