Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
And why in he*l would they do this at WDW first? Why pick the biggest resort to experiment on? Would it not have made more sense to try this at say Hong Kong Disneyland first at a fraction of the cost? You can get all the bugs worked out and if it is a complete failure it doesn't cost the company $billions.

HAHAHHAHHAHhA. you think this would ever work in China ... hahhahhahhahhaha

SirLink

Once again, there are several competent people that are on these boards, have business degrees, and could have told them that roughly 2 billion dollars ago.

And some people who have Computer Science degrees that implementing all new software and integrating it with all legacy systems would be doomed for failure - $2billion ago

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 thanks for your info about Portofino Bay (can't find the post anymore to quote it as it seems to be hidden in the many pages). There was some discussion following it about whether there is a bubble at Universal. Some saying there isn't but to me it feels like with all the close proximity of hotels, Citywalk and the parks there would be even more of a bubble feel. So what was your experience?

That is actually one thing that always appealed to me at the Universal setup. It reminds me of DLP, where I think the setup is brilliant. Or were brilliant if Disney Village were maintained properly. I just love being able to walk everywhere. To me it seems that Universal is succeeding at this model much more than DLP.

Absolutely. You can park your car at UNI and never move it. The resort is contained and buffered from the real world and you don't have to take smog-belching busses to get from place to place. Water launches traverse the beautifully landscaped waterways at regular intervals. And since hotels have 24 hour room service (no, you shouldn't have that at a $700 a night WDW deluxe and City Walk is open late, you Always have something to do after the parks close.

It absolutely reminds me of a DLP or even DLR setup. Much better laid out than The Timeshare Kingdom of the World.

Pixiedustmaker

I don't insult anyone unless they insult me. You have done repeatedly as yo have done to @Lee, @articos, @pheneix and just about anyone who knows what is really going on at Disney.

And are you talking about 2015 as a year of reassessment? Is this bull something you simply pull out of your . By 2015, Disney is going to be so far behind UNI in O-Town and on the verge of a huge battle looming in SoCal. Are you that dense or just playing it?

So, if you feel you were insulted, then you feel justified in insulting others? At some point, insulting people incurs a psychological price, i.e. your ego takes a bruising as some part of you realizes you shouldn't be doing that.

If an insider, (or somebody with contacts on the inside), proffers some tidbit of info, which is basically a rumor, if I refute that info that isn't an attack on the source, per se, just that I don't believe the info. Like in that game of telephone, rumors can mutate rapidly, and means different things at different times.

Pixiedustmaker

And some people who have Computer Science degrees that implementing all new software and integrating it with all legacy systems would be doomed for failure - $2billion ago

WDW's IT infrastructure may have been overdue for a $50 million dollar upgrade anyway. The number of users notwithstanding, such a system with just FP/MagicBand purchasing/hotel keys, wouldn't be that expensive to implement, and it would displace more expensive systems and reduce the burden on others.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Don't let him get under your skin Spirit. The guy's a loser who has nothin better to do than play contrarian on a disney message board.

he needs to go or be reined in ...he has destroyed one fine thread by @pheneix and has similar goals here too.

Let's show some of that good old fashioned Florida conservatism and send him away...

Last edited:

SirLink

Eddie has his own agenda for being here. Why don't you shake him up and tell him that he's earned paychecks from my family's businesses, just for fun. You can't see a guy crap his pants on discussion forums, after all/

I don't insult anyone unless they insult me. You have done repeatedly as yo have done to @Lee, @articos, @pheneix and just about anyone who knows what is really going on at Disney.

And are you talking about 2015 as a year of reassessment? Is this bull something you simply pull out of your . By 2015, Disney is going to be so far behind UNI in O-Town and on the verge of a huge battle looming in SoCal. Are you that dense or just playing it?

I know it isn't real Disney - but something I heard about OLC worried about the Osaka arrival of Mr.Potter - and the Japanese weird love of certain British things - that they might be upping investment on a shorter timescale for TDLR

SirLink

WDW's IT infrastructure may have been overdue for a $50 million dollar upgrade anyway. The number of users notwithstanding, such a system with just FP/MagicBand purchasing/hotel keys, wouldn't be that expensive to implement, and it would displace more expensive systems and reduce the burden on others.

Because I have you on Ignore for a reason - but IT systems are not cheap - consultation/evaluation/analysis/programming/analysis/implementation/retweaks. Cost Time and Time costs money. Multiplied by the fact they have implement with legacy systems, then the software to actually review how guests are spending time in the park costs money on top of that ... thus you have a snake eating itself.

So be like a Bee and buzz off go annoy CountryBearFan on the Twitterverse.

WDW1974

Original Poster
If no one replied to him he would have less material?

I just did something that I swore I would never do. Pixie is on ignore. But I believe action should be taken. This creature has played this game before with everyone here who has credible inside info. The game is old and tired and the powers need to either pull him in some or send him packing.

Last edited:

RyenDeckard

I just did something that I swore I would never do. Pixie is on ignore. But I believe action should be taken. This creature has played this game before with everyone here who has credible inside info. The game is old and tired and the powers needn't eitherbreignnhimmin or send him packing. My keyboard isn't even working right, smut is definitely time consignment frommtheninsanity.

Anybody else get the feeling that he may be a manager at Disney in some capacity? Not anybody high up, but a middle manager who has a lot of pride in his workplace and wants to defend it?

That's just the vibe I'm getting.

alphac2005

It would be remiss to say this board, and look at my join date, is more anti Disney pro Uni than ever before. I am a former worker, but no "Pixie Duster". And I will say it is the "cool", "popular" thing to be anti Disney now. Just look at the responses to people who do speak well of WDW get. This is not to say WDW doesn't deserve the criticsm at all. So again, while on these boards people have informed, legitimate, viewpoints, on the outside WDW still offers a great product that is far from dwindling down to second rate. Outside this board, as WDW74 said, Disney is still the worldwide leader and I hope Uni continues to grow and offer competition. But I will stand by that people jump on the train just cause it is the thing to do...the mob mentalitly

Well, I'm proud to say that I'm not of the "mob mentality" and grew tired of Disney's pathetic Walmartization of the property over the past decade plus. Additionally, We lived in Orlando from the late 90s through the middle of the last decade and saw the said metamorphosis that was occurring. What I think is funny is that since you're new around here, there was no "mob mentality" 'round here for years.

I lurked on the site since it opened and finally registered several years back. Up until the last year or so, the Disney defenders were out in full force and would criticize nearly any positive of Universal or other parks. I disagree with you, but that's healthy in discussions. It's not a bandwagon, it's the fact that this has been a long, slowly moving buildup to the mess that is the Orlando property and many folks around here got around to finally admitting it or having that last straw moment. You said Disney is the leader essentially in the business. They are no longer in Orlando and haven't been in some time. If anyone is in college here today, they'd virtually be too young to even remember what a high quality Walt Disney World Resort even looks like.

alphac2005

NextGen doesn't cost $3 billion, it hasn't even been completely rol Who wouldn't want to schedule FP via a smart phone or MagicBand? Sounds fun to me, is everybody on this board a luddite?

Virtual FastPass lines, shorter lines at ODV and shops, more customization . . . I'll *love* it when it comes to Disneyland.

Computer tech doesn't cost as much as it did three decades ago, maybe then you could say it costs $1 billion for WDW!

The future begins today.
The Fast Pass line for RSR was *hours* long during the peak season. Folks don't have to wait in such a line if there is a virtual queue . . . you run like mad, get the RSR FP. Or maybe get there at rope drop and run like mad to ride RSR before the line gets crazy long. I think on opening day it was something like 7 hours for the attraction.

DLR has two parks right next to each other, you can make a FP for Indy even if you have to walk from DCA to DL, which doesn't take that long.

As I stand in line at DL to enter for the day, I can wipe out my cell and start making FP reservations, or if I made them weeks ahead of time, I can cancel them if I'm not going to be in that park that day . . .as I head over to said park.

Seems if you're going to WDW, you can make FP reservations for, for example, the same park on all 4 days of your vacation, cancel them before entering as needed. If you can get FPs on your cell, and make changes before rope drop, you'll beat the paper system. A question is whether the electronic FPs will be used up so there are no longer any paper ones . . . something tells me Disney will favor the guest who buys/utilizes the MagicBands over the newbie who just uses the paper FPs . . . wouldn't make sense that you can't get an Indy FP on your cell, but the paper machine is still spitting them out.

Simply put: I'm going on a vacation and I stare at screens and work on a schedule every single day. The last thing I want to do is use my darn smartphone and book things for and during my trip. The word is vacation. Apparently that's lost here.

alphac2005

Love love LOVE the happy hours at UNI. Also the fact that the bars in the parks have real bartenders.

That's funny that you mention that. I was talking to a girl that was working at the Crescent Moon Bakery at IOA before closing one night and she was going on about stuff and she said that her mom is a bartender next door and that if you ever wanted to be endlessly entertained with stories and see how crazy stuff gets on a vacation with people, become a bartender at a theme park.

manutdfan1

Simply put: I'm going on a vacation and I stare at screens and work on a schedule every single day. The last thing I want to do is use my darn smartphone and book things for and during my trip. The word is vacation. Apparently that's lost here.

I definitely agree with this point. I'm heading to Orlando in a week, and the first promise my friend and I made to each other was that we'd leave our phones in the hotel room when we go in the parks. I don't want to be distracted by the outside world. I want to be immersed in the parks and lose myself for a few days.

Pixiedustmaker

It's a legitimate point. I would never visit any theme park with an itinerary. But if you're going to do FastPass, that means coming back at a later time. I'd use the system to save time for RSR, primarily, and if I *had* to go on HMH, then, yes, I would book that in advance for the last day, just in case I didn't make it, I'd have a failsafe. Sort of like how folks used to "abuse" the reservation system with the dining plan and book restaurants in different parks on the same day, I think it is OK to do with with NextGen as not showing up for a ride is no big deal.

alphac2005

I know it's politically incorrect, but are you challenged? Go to a special needs school?

Or are you here because Disney knows I somehow got into their tech and know they've been lying and intend to expose it here? Maybe if I call you an enough times suddenly I'll no longer be welcome here, conveniently, and Disney will again get away with whatever it wants? That isn/t going to happen, so go play in the traffic.

Spewing corporate b.s. from a Bloomberg Businesweek article that is spinning their mess, well, then I guess our friend would then believe that all politicians are full truth-tellers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom