Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Commando

So, since everything is referred to in acronym form it would be:

DPJCP:TWOAADPPJCAAAADPACTJCWDIJC
DPJCP:TWOAADPPJCAAAADPACTJCWDIJCIDBAAWCFFP

... you forgot to tag the "Informed by Disney's Beloved Academy-Award-Winning Classic Feature Film Pocahontas" at the end. Don't forget Michael Eisner is the largest individual shareholder. He will not be denied.

TalkingHead

So I got a renewal notice in the mail for my Universal AP.

The cost of the Preferred Pass, which is the standard AP with no block out days and free parking was discounted to $159 before tax.

The cost of a WDW AP that has no block out days and free parking is $464 before tax.

I'm not sure what kind of discounts WDW offers for renewals, but I was shocked by the Universal price. Let's say I didn't hesitate to renew, especially since I can get my wife a Power Pass (with block out days) for less than $150. Approximately $300 for the two of us to have APs and not having to pay for parking?

You'd almost think Universal's a good value(!), although we all know from our Disney experiences that values don't exist in Orlando...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wish I could deny that, but, I can't. I get tired out just watching people work now! What really wears me out is constantly having to tell kids to get off my lawn. :grumpy:

You probably live in the corner house too. In my neighborhood in Philly growing up the corner houses were always owned by grumpy old people. Naturally we always played by the corner since that's where the most room was. We got yelled at a whole lot:cool:

Goofyernmost

You probably live in the corner house too. In my neighborhood in Philly growing up the corner houses were always owned by grumpy old people. Naturally we always played by the corner since that's where the most room was. We got yelled at a whole lot:cool:
Actually I live in an apartment complex with no lawn at all, but, I feel obligated to live up to certain stereotypes connected with aging. It's what's expected of me and I hate to disappoint. It is also important to remember that grumpy old people at one point in time were grumpy young people.:grumpy:

stlphil

Yeah, it kinda does.

And you forgot to tell folks the part where the new American Adventure Patriotic Potties are better than the Tangled Toilets.
Agreed about Mermaid.

At the risk of going even more off- topic than Patriotic Potties, let me mention my family's experience with Mermaid this summer. Myself, wife, daughter, granddaughters 8 and 6 (right in the supposed sweet spot for this ride), got off the big, new, hyped ride and all had the same reaction "meh ". Too plastic.

Shortly thereafter we rode Peter Pan, only because I insisted we get FP for it. Despite many Disney trips, both WDW and DL, daughter and her kids had never ridden it before (probably due to the lines, and didn't want to "waste" FP on it) and didn't know what to expect and my wife had forgotten what it was like. They couldn't stop raving about it afterwards. I think it is very telling that a relatively simple ride that's nearly 60 years old could have much more impact than a modern expensive effort. The original imagineers were clearly masters at their art, and instinctively knew how to bring charm and heart to their work with far fewer resources.

To be fair to modern imagineers, we all did find Enchanted Tales with Belle charming and enjoyed it, although in my case it might mostly be due to the particular Belle we got (if you know what I mean, wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

Cosmic Commando

Agreed about Mermaid.

At the risk of going even more off- topic than Patriotic Potties, let me mention my family's experience with Mermaid this summer. Myself, wife, daughter, granddaughters 8 and 6 (right in the supposed sweet spot for this ride), got off the big, new, hyped ride and all had the same reaction "meh ". Too plastic.
What would this thread be without a good tangent?

I had something like my 15th ride on Mermaid this past week (it's a walk-on at DCA without FP), and I finally figured out a good, simple fix to make. After the Kiss the Girl scene, you have the little vignette of giant Ursula sinking and the screen that shows Ariel getting her voice back with the little heart animation around them. That screen is completely useless. If you go from "Kiss the Girl", where they are leaning in to kiss on the boat, to the marriage-type scene at the end, will anyone be confused about what's going on? No. Use that tiny bit of extra space to show more representation of the battle between Eric and Ursula. If that was a big show scene like the Under the Sea scene or even as much space as the Kiss the Girl scene, I think opinions of the ride would be much different.

My kids were always willing to stand in a 30 minute line for Peter Pan at DL, but not always walk right on to Mermaid. Ouch.

the.dreamfinder

Money.

Money, money, money.
I just don't get it, but Amazon resellers and BitTorrent will gladly satisfy the demand when those titles are in the "vault". The strangest thing about this is that Pixar's films do not follow this at all anymore if they ever did.

Last edited:

JimboJones123

Agreed about Mermaid.

Shortly thereafter we rode Peter Pan, only because I insisted we get FP for it. Despite many Disney trips, both WDW and DL, daughter and her kids had never ridden it before (probably due to the lines, and didn't want to "waste" FP on it) and didn't know what to expect and my wife had forgotten what it was like. They couldn't stop raving about it afterwards. I think it is very telling that a relatively simple ride that's nearly 60 years old could have much more impact than a modern expensive effort. The original imagineers were clearly masters at their art, and instinctively knew how to bring charm and heart to their work with far fewer resources.

To be fair to modern imagineers, we all did find Enchanted Tales with Belle charming and enjoyed it, although in my case it might mostly be due to the particular Belle we got (if you know what I mean, wink, wink, nudge, nudge).
PP worth raves? Come on now, really?

Now THAT ride looks plastic.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

In Rural america 'Get off my Lawn' is often enforced with a shotgun filled with rock salt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom