Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magenta Panther

Probably because The Twilight Zone was an anthology; it never actually had any recurring characters.

Now that I think about it, does the Tower of Terror actually have anything in common at all with the show?
Sure, it has Rod Serling in it (or a reasonable facsimile), uses the music, and has a couple nicknacks that resemble props from the show, but other than that it's really just an original ghost story with little connection to the themes or plots of the series.

That's why I'm so proud of that attraction. The Rod Serling/Twilight Zone connection are nice touches, but the ride itself is so brilliantly engineered and has such a strong story that it doesn't really need Serling or his show to be great. The Imagineers could simply have gone with the idea of a haunted Hollywood hotel - and the Tower would still have been "a star in its own right". ;)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Monday Musings:

So, no one watches TV anymore ... Soon we'll all be watching our content on iPhones, right Mr. Iger? Then, please explain the 16 million plus that watched The Walking Dead premiere live last night.

BTW, I thought the premiere was a bit of too much with all the walker killings. You can lose shock value if all you show is gore. That said, the scene in the Home Depot-like store was waaay kewl.

OK, I need someone's help here. Seriously. I know we have someone here that knows where the WDW version of Club 33 is going. Tell me. I will protect your ID and I will reward you somehow. I have heard locales as bizarre as Cindy's castle to an expansion of the Brown Derby. But none that are reliable. I know someone here knows. Talk.

Speaking of the above, understand that the bloggers and lifestylers and 400-pounders demanding DAS at City Hall are what is spurring this move. Much like no real intelligent monies person of class would move to Golden Oak, Disney is looking for rubes with money. The folks who have been buying their way into DL's club over the past decade.

This is not like Anaheim or Tokyo were the clubs were meant to be secret and exclusive places for the monied elite to do business, break bread or entertain guests. Orlando, after the 2008 financial apocalypse, simply doesn't have the folks to buy memberships. Watch this one, folks and be ready to hear 'I told you so' from me.

Folks have wondered whether Joe Rohde is happy working on Pandora. While I know the man, I haven't spoken to him in a few years now and can only base an opinion on what I know. He is working with someone who is a perfectionist for quality (writing a story aside) on a project with a healthy budget (it is NOT nearly $700 million as some here have suggested). So while I think like most fanbois he would have preferred BK or something different entirely, he's probably thrilled to have one major project left at WDW before they throw him out.

Still no inside word on why the 'announcement' was held a world away.

Funny how UNI has been running HHNs spots nonstop since around Sept. 10th, but Disney is doing no promo at all for Food and Wine. Weird since both events truly attract the worst guests.

Finally, a friend saw Frozen recently. She was left quite cold. She doesn't think it will warm Disney's coffers at the holidays.

stlphil

For the record, I am in favor of the Avatar area and look forward to going there "someday".

That being said, I liked how Joe Rhode referred to the Banshees as those giant creatures.

Uh, what are they called again? Uh, uh, those giant creatures......

Go to the 1:35 mark....

Thanks for posting this video.

Could Joe 's last words in the video be a clue as to what the new land will be named? "I hope to see you in the World of Pandora". I think this would be a good choice actually, and convey the proper theme. What the Avatar haters misunderstand (and yet paradoxically instinctively get right) is that while the movie "Avatar" would be a horrible fit for Animal Kingdom, the "World of Pandora" could be a spectacular and excellent fit. Who cares if no one can name any characters from the movie, the World of Pandora
doesn't need them anyway. Animal Kingdom isn't about human (or other sentient) characters, it's about the animals and the environment, and Pandora provides quite an impressive environment.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So nothing was announced for Tokyo beyond what was already known (Jungle Cruise, Little Mermaid) at their first D23 expo. I get this strange feeling something got pulled. We know OLC has committed to spending 2 Billion plus this decade, but on what?

The OLC makes its own announcements on its own schedule. I am still surprised that no announcements were made though ...this is a company that has had more Christmas parades in the last decade than EPCOT has had VPs. They have plenty they could have showcased.

WDW1974

Original Poster
My vote was for a brawl that involved a stabbing... that would have some bite.

As for what they charge.. I could care less. I know better than to spend my time and energy on this thing. I know going to a festival in any of the neighborhoods in the city here would probably be a lot better and a lot cheaper. I had no interest in the soap opera weekends.. and no interest in this either. They run it when I can't be there anyways.

But it does look like I'm gonna have up to 3 options to be in WDW between now and marathon weekend. Gotta decide if it's worth any of my dollars... right now.. less interested.

When you say options that suggests you have other options? I can't imagine you can't find a better place to spend time right now. It isn't like they are doing a damn thing that is new, different and/or plussed.

BrianLo

The OLC makes its own announcements on its own schedule. I am still surprised that no announcements were made though ...this is a company that has had more Christmas parades in the last decade than EPCOT has had VPs. They have plenty they could have showcased.

Could they be going the Star Wars route and Disney is not quite ready to remove the curtain from that bad boy across the board (DL, WDW, TDL)?

I just want to know what they having cooking there... every other resort we seem to have a rough 5 year plan. OLC is really just a 2 year plan of a few entertainment changes.

flynnibus

Premium Member
When you say options that suggests you have other options? I can't imagine you can't find a better place to spend time right now. It isn't like they are doing a damn thing that is new, different and/or plussed.

One of my kids will have an sporting event there... my wife is going down for marathon weekend.. and then there is another trip. Gotta decide if its worth going to the parks at all. My stash of old comp tickets is running dry. We'll be at the Port in november for a cruise.. but not heading over to Orlando. I have a hard time convincing myself to spend the extra money to head down there too. Maybe if I hitch a ride on one of the conventions it would be worth a day or two solo. I'm still trying to motivate myself to do the griswald trip and hit the grand canyon and the major national parks. I'm not as outdoor-sy as I used to be.. but a nice cabin might fit the bill.

I think I owe the kids a visit to DLR... contemplating doing that for next year maybe.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirit, I agree with you 99.9% of the time, but not on this.

The responsibility lies in the individual who chooses to drink well past a resposnsible limit. Yes, Disney can do a better job of cutting people off and removing said individuals, and they absolutely should, but people are making the choice to overindulge, and choosing to act like they are back in colledge.

And lets be honest here, it's not like Disney is giving the alchohol away either, if you consider the average 3oz taster of beer or wine will set you back $4 (a glass of wine is about 25oz), not including park admission at $90, I fail to see how they are the guilty party.

At the end of the day it is still a poor choice by an individual to allow themselves to become too inebriated to function.

No, while people have individual responsibility to behave responsibly, Disney has a responsibility to run safe parks. Having drunks running wild is on them. Very few of these people are getting plastered in the parking lot. They are doing so at Disney restaurants, bars and OCV carts.

That's like someone who is clearly displaying mental illness being allowed to purchase a gun or ammo.

Businesses have responsibility. Disney is largely interested in responsibly counting how much money they are raking in during the Food and Wine Fest and very little else.

How many lifestylers wrote columns ripping Disney for the fact that Food and Wine has become borderline unsafe at times over the past 6-7 years? Yeah, can you imagine Mongello doing that? Poor guy has another free cruise coming up.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Could they be going the Star Wars route and Disney is not quite ready to remove the curtain from that bad boy across the board (DL, WDW, TDL)?

I just want to know what they having cooking there... every other resort we seem to have a rough 5 year plan. OLC is really just a 2 year plan of a few entertainment changes.

I have a strong suspicion that Star Wars may well be something that happens in Anaheim, O-Town and Tokyo now with Paris on the sidelines.

And something is going on with SW and SDL, even though nothing was originally planned.

WDW1974

Original Poster
One of my kids will have an sporting event there... my wife is going down for marathon weekend.. and then there is another trip. Gotta decide if its worth going to the parks at all. My stash of old comp tickets is running dry. We'll be at the Port in november for a cruise.. but not heading over to Orlando. I have a hard time convincing myself to spend the extra money to head down there too. Maybe if I hitch a ride on one of the conventions it would be worth a day or two solo. I'm still trying to motivate myself to do the griswald trip and hit the grand canyon and the major national parks. I'm not as outdoor-sy as I used to be.. but a nice cabin might fit the bill.

I think I owe the kids a visit to DLR... contemplating doing that for next year maybe.

I will be at WDW during my upcoming holiday, but to be fair the trip is designed so I can spend quality time with Mrs. Lee ... And some other dear friends as well. But it is in no way a Disney trip and I doubt I will even hit more than 2-3 parks. There is absolutely nothing fresh at all (look at what DCA is doing for Christmas this year as part of LTM), nothing. Maybe I can walk into the Grand Flo Villas, that's certainly a reason to plan a visit.

I can't imagine ever getting anything remotely as MAGIcal out of WDW as I could the Grand Canyon (if the Tea party lets it open) or any of the national parks. I love taking an entourage of fanboys around the parks showing them how poorly run and maintained they are, but that isn't even worth the special 'offers' I tend to receive.

I just feel like I've had my fill of Disney's Timeshare Kingdom. Let's see if they can win me back.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Heh!

I call this the "Laughing Thread".

Times tough in NM since Heisenberg was killed there Badger?

I am afraid your here in the sun here has passed and isn't coming back.

but thanks for dropping by ..and I did see you admitting I was right recently on another thread. Glad you finally got the point in the end.

Bairstow

That's why I'm so proud of that attraction. The Rod Serling/Twilight Zone connection are nice touches, but the ride itself is so brilliantly engineered and has such a strong story that it doesn't really need Serling or his show to be great. The Imagineers could simply have gone with the idea of a haunted Hollywood hotel - and the Tower would still have been "a star in its own right". ;)

I've got a wild theory that the Tower of Terror was originally created with The Shining in mind, mostly because of the music at the end.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Back to Disney TV news ...

[Once Upon A Time spoilers to follow]

So ... that pretty much went well beyond Xena/Gabrielle "subtext." Last night's episode made it clear OUAT Mulan is a lesbian. A first for a Disney princess, or probably any character based directly on a Disney cartoon, yes?

Yep was too busy to check, but has any mainstream press or industry pubs paid attention to the fact Mulan wants some hot princess on princess (no, bois, not what you do at Vista way) action with Aurora.?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Having spoken with Joe personally, I can guarantee you he is not the most excited about being forced to put Avatar in his park. However, he has actually enjoyed working with James Cameron. Joe would much rather work with James on Avatar than get a smaller project. In the presentation he's excited because it's actually something worth doing... but deep down he's not too happy with Avatar being shoehorned into his park.

This sounds exactly what i would expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom