Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't disagree with what you're saying, necessarily.

But really, did Disney ever really do lodging better than the big guys out there? I mean, really do it better? Sure, they have the parks and what not about it that probably add to the aura of the experience. But I would never say that the Grand Floridian, even back in its heyday, was a better experience than a 4 Seasons or Ritz Carlton or even lesser known boutique chains.

Back in the 80s.. the properties changed the expectation of what a on-location hotel room was IMO. They offered the full range of activities like an away resort (swimming, boating, tennis, etc), while adding in themeing and world class customer service. Were they opulent like a classic city hotel? No, their difference was not in over the top luxury, but in creating an entire environment. The 'Disney bubble' was not because you never left ground owned by TWDC, it was because the Disney experience did not stop at the theme park gates.. but started as soon as you pulled up to your Disney resort. That type of true integration across the portfolio was a new concept Disney tackled.

I'll ask though, what is UNI's intent or expectation with building Cabana Bay? (or whatever its called?)

Just MHO - but it would appear to be to bring in inventory at a price point below their current offerings (call it a Moderate if you like), but emulate the concept of a Destination Hotel/property.. and not just build another set of rooms to call their own.

wdwgreek

Speaking of off topic! I just sent an email to guest communications concerning worries about My Magic + and my distaste for fastpass +. Im sure it'll go right to the top, of the trash... but i feel better now :)

wdwgreek

if they reply, expect it to say "it is optional - have a magical day" haha
I worked in a few offices with correspondence, so I'm sure it'll amount to nothing more than a thanks for writing in, its optional, have a magical day!

Reactions: HMF

WDWDad13

More indication that all is not well at The Please Where Dreams Come True.

Free Dining's back for most of the rest of the year (usual dates excluded). Iger really wanted to get away from that; it's just lost revenue flying right out the door.

So much for the New Fantasyland bump Iger spoke about earlier this year.

I wonder if MyMagic+ will help next year? :rolleyes:

I wonder if Universal will need to offer free dining when they open Diagon Alley?

trust me... Disney is fine... since the announcement of the discount... they have been backed up all day filling requests... also you do know Universal and Sea World has discounts going on in the fall as well... it's hurricane season, kids are back in school...this is normal...doesn't mean there's a sinking ship and we all better jump and hope Leonardo will hold on to us

dreamscometrue

but it's my firm belief that it will be var too little, far too late.

Too late for what? Do you actually believe that, if WDW adds decent attractions (as you've noted), all the millions of annual guests are going to flock down the I-4 to Universal? I doubt it. All that Universal is doing will bring them up to world class-finally.They still have a lot of work to do to provide the immersive experience that WDW typically provides. I'm sure that Uni's parks will fare well, but with regards to this "Too little, too late" suggestion, C'mon man.

WDWDad13

WDW1974 thinks (I believe) Disney is done and Uni will be king soon... in all honesty Disney helps bring guests to Orlando that also visit Uni...the way I see it they all will benefit from each other and us as fans are the real winner here because competition is a good thing!!!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
WDW1974 thinks (I believe) Disney is done and Uni will be king soon... in all honesty Disney helps bring guests to Orlando that also visit Uni...the way I see it they all will benefit from each other and us as fans are the real winner here because competition is a good thing!!!

Competition is only a good thing when both sides choose to participate with new attractions and things to attract more guests. Uni is the only side doing that.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

What can't thinks switch, Uni helps bring people to Orlando that also visit Disney?

WDWDad13

Competition is only a good thing when both sides choose to participate with new attractions and things to attract more guests. Uni is the only side doing that.

Disney Springs, new parade, MyMagic+, carsland, star wars land, avatarland, imagination, lots and lots of rumors.... I don't think Disney is just sitting back and drinking coffee at this point... I think they are planning their next move and trying to determine how best to schedule it in the future

WDWDad13

What can't thinks switch, Uni helps bring people to Orlando that also visit Disney?

I see no problem with that do you? Like I said they can all benefit off of each other... I don't think Disney is losing the top spot...ever to be honest... but I do think they are beginning to lose out on the come to Disney and never leave the resort area for that week plan they have... I think they can fix this but there has to be some major work

ParentsOf4

I'll ask though, what is UNI's intent or expectation with building Cabana Bay? (or whatever its called?)
Looks like they going for a price point they can't reach with their 3 Deluxe Resorts.

For example, next July Cabana Bay rack rate is $224/night for a family "suite". This really is just one big room that sleeps six, 2 TV's, a tiny kitchenette, and a bathroom configuration that allows one to shower, another to use the toilet, and another to use 1 of the 2 sinks. It's tight, vaguely similar to Disney's Fort Wilderness Cabins.

For those same nights, the Cabins are $360/night.

P.S. By the way, if you stay 7 nights, Cabana Bay rates drop to $179/night.

Captain Chaos

Disney Springs, new parade, MyMagic+, carsland, star wars land, avatarland, imagination, lots and lots of rumors.... I don't think Disney is just sitting back and drinking coffee at this point... I think they are planning their next move and trying to determine how best to schedule it in the future
Disney Springs: Not enough to drive an increase in attendance...

New parade and MyMagic compared to massive e-tickets and well themed lands? No comparison who wins there...

Cars Land, Star Wars.. only rumors, nothing says they are 100% happening right now, and if they do, who knows how much they will cut out and value engineer the crap out of the lands, so much so it is again style over substance... But, we need to reserve judgment.. Cannot call something which hasn't even had construction started (nor green lit) answering the competition or a success/failure...

Avatar Land? Well, I believe that will wind up going the way of the dodo... Sounds like it will be a casualty of this mess called NGE...

And you claim lots and lots of rumors? Well, lots and lots of rumors do not come close to lots and lots of construction.. Which one theme park is doing tons of, the other is asleep at the wheel...

JimboJones123

Want to know how to get me to spend more money in the parks?

Give me some real food discounts with my AP. Seriously, the 20% I got at Disneyland was AWESOME! We bought every meal in the parks last week at DL. Plus their variety is FANTASTIC.

This week back home at WDW, we have not eaten a single meal in the parks. Overpaying for pizza or burgers? What the heck? No Bengal BBQ? No sourdough breadbowl soup? No Carne Asada / Tamale combo? No Boysenberry Frozen Apple Juice? No Beignets? No Miny Julip? No fresh carved turkey sandwich? No Award Weiners? No roasted corn? No chimichangas? No dill popcorn? No roast beef platter? No teryaki chicken? Coconut curry chicken?

Instead, it is 2 burger joints and 2 pizza shos that all have the same exact thing on their menu each time.

And again, no discount.

So, we eat before we go to the parks, carry in snacks, and eat again outside after.

WDW needs to stop treating their guests like crap. Especially the ones that would LOVE to spend money there.

Seriously, outside of the $26 sit down meals that would cost you $75 dollars to get a tipless meal..... Er... Discount out of, what CS meal is worth longing for? None. Really, all the things I mentioned above are better than any CS option that WDW has.

WDWDad13

Disney Springs: Not enough to drive an increase in attendance...

New parade and MyMagic compared to massive e-tickets and well themed lands? No comparison who wins there...

Cars Land, Star Wars.. only rumors, nothing says they are 100% happening right now, and if they do, who knows how much they will cut out and value engineer the crap out of the lands, so much so it is again style over substance... But, we need to reserve judgment.. Cannot call something which hasn't even had construction started (nor green lit) answering the competition or a success/failure...

Avatar Land? Well, I believe that will wind up going the way of the dodo... Sounds like it will be a casualty of this mess called NGE...

And you claim lots and lots of rumors? Well, lots and lots of rumors do not come close to lots and lots of construction.. Which one theme park is doing tons of, the other is asleep at the wheel...

so everything Disney is doing or may be doing will be just awful regardless... right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom