Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scuttle

Not sure about the former, but (in my mind, at least) it certainly succeeded at the latter.

Just curious...
When did the meaning of the term "meet up" or "meet" change from that of an informal gathering of people with a common interest to referring to a sponsored party held for the blatant purpose of bribing pseudo/wannabe-media types with gifts/food in exchange for favorable word of mouth or coverage?
I'm with you. It makes me sick. I don't know whats more disturbing, people leaching onto Disney for money or Disney actually allowing it.

JimboJones123

Not sure about the former, but (in my mind, at least) it certainly succeeded at the latter.

Just curious...
When did the meaning of the term "meet up" or "meet" change from that of an informal gathering of people with a common interest to referring to a sponsored party held for the blatant purpose of bribing pseudo/wannabe-media types with gifts/food in exchange for favorable word of mouth or coverage?
Payola is important and not illegal at all.

WDW1974

Original Poster
As to tonight's social media whorefest at what once was one of my favorite restaurants in the state, I sense desperation on Disney's part in a few ways.

One, Leanne Jakubowski, who runs social media for Disney has sorta been working with her tail on the line of late. There are things Burbank has noticed and that's why they are trying to cull the herd as it grows every day. At the same time, Disney knows the cows are sorta 'mad' and wants to keep them as happy as can be while weaning them off the excess access they've been granted in the anything goes with whores department-

Two, on the subject of $50 gift cards AND guaranteed reservations slots ...Disney point blank knows that while they will come for free food and drink, and who wouldn't, that many of these people are either poor or cheap. These are the folks who go to the McD's at the crossroads and demand to speak to a manager to get 30 cents back after ordering Big Mac without cheese (yes, this is actual behavior from one that I have witnessed ...no, I won't ID the lifestyler because they are mentally ill and seeking attention anywhere they can get it). They are not coming back and ordering a $49 steak (I bet no one asked a question about the renovated menu, like the fact the signature filet has doubled in price since the place opened, or how the DDP has affected the location). Disney could have comped an entire meal for one or one and a guest, but they again want to cut down on what is given. Rest assured, though, if Lou Mongello wants to get a meal for six with wine comped, Disney will do it. Right, Tommy? Blondie? Gary?

Three, there are folks who work in social media and can't stand these whores, that's where the special entertainment comes in. Nothing like making fun of your guests who are too busy filling their fat faces to understand that the Disney PR staff (even the phonies like Blondie) don't really like them. It's all part of the job.

WDW1974

Original Poster
A Florida Gators loss is one of the most magical things in the world. :)

Isn't it, though?

Gators fans are among the worst in college football and they were like that dating back to the pre-Spurrier days when they had won nothing. Obnoxious. Even now, they crow about their three NCAA titles when the U has won five when last checked (that doesn't include another stolen by an official out in Arizona!)

And most of the right teams won today too!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not so much cost cutting as money lost to inexperience and ineptitude.

I'd like to go into this deeper when I have more time, but this is the situation plaguing both Disney and UNI.
And hiring so many young folks is absolutely affecting the quality of products both large and small across both resorts.

You can not put a price tag on experience and perspective (as I tell all the whiners here who first visited WDW in 2003 and think it has never been better) yet that is what both these creative companies have been doing and it is absolutely resulting in higher cost, lower qualify attractions.

Across the board.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Neurotic, frenzied and paranoid! Some of the things I said could easily lead back to me...They are watching me!!! When you call you will need to get through my security.

You'd be surprised (or not) at how easily I can get past security barriers. Oh, and check email .

WDW1974

Original Poster
While it could make the circuit in the Florida TV news for a single week.. outside of Florida I doubt anyone would give it more than a cursory glance. Disney's lobbying efforts are nowhere near pure and are prime examples of self-serving corporate actions -- yet it never makes any ripples beyond the directly connected regions of Florida and SoCal. And even then, the news doesn't have any inertia behind it. The stories get ran, and the topic fizzles.

People already tried to make media coverage of this happen 2 years ago during election season and even then it never gained any traction.

So do I think TWDC wants media coverage of this? I don't think any company likes media stories that try to paint their company in a negative light. But there are alot of things that will die out quickly if you just let it run its course on its own.

True enough, old sparring partner ...and then there are those things like the GAC rampant abuse issues, that everyone knows about and complains about and local media won't touch, but suddenly it winds up on the Today Show and it won't die down and the company is FORCED to take action.

But I am sure you are right, this is something minor and no one will ever even look at it. Yep I am convinced. (Do I need the sarcastic smiley here?)

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm hoping my company gets the bid to do what we do well , and I get to go to another Olympics. Went to Vancouver and I'm hooked on Olympic living.

I was living and working in China during the Beijing Games and it was a very amazing experience.

Let's put it this way, I wouldn't trade being at the Opening Ceremonies for a 25-year supply of Disney Parks Blog freebies!

alissafalco

@WDW1974 will love this...

‏"@BanksLee Loved talking to social media guru Mya Space at the #CaliGrill meet-up! She even had a working Polaroid."

BTsMuDVIIAEKLnb.jpg

Is that Richard Simmons? :eek::eek::eek:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Yep. I noticed the thin shirts. I have a WDW t-shirt from over 10 years ago that I still wear. The one I got last year is hurting already. Revenue per square foot is an unfortunate concept. A contributing factor in the death of PI too.

The decline in creative design and quality t-shirts over the past few years is a pet peeve of mine. However, there was one amusing exception. I was in the Japan pavilion at Epcot back in late May. They had a black (background) t-shirt from Japan with Godzilla and a bunch of other great, old movie creatures, with Japanese writing underneath each one. Brought it home to my husband and he loved it! Said it was the best "Disney" t-shirt I ever bought. I remember a time when the shops at Disney all had a variety of interesting designs on good quality, long-lasting cotton.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The decline in creative design and quality t-shirts over the past few years is a pet peeve of mine. However, there was one amusing exception. I was in the Japan pavilion at Epcot back in late May. They had a black (background) t-shirt from Japan with Godzilla and a bunch of other great, old movie creatures, with Japanese writing underneath each one. Brought it home to my husband and he loved it! Said it was the best "Disney" t-shirt I ever bought. I remember a time when the shops at Disney all had a variety of interesting designs on good quality, long-lasting cotton.

In defence of Disney (yes settle down) its not just Disney that is having quality issues with clothing. I regularly buy tour t shirts and event shirts and the quality and fit is getting poorer across the board. I'm assuming its folk trying to make money and cost cutting or simply the downside of everyone buying in emerging markets and them getting over committed and cutting corners to meet delivery dates.
Use of generic design however is another issue :mad:

JimboJones123

In defence of Disney (yes settle down) its not just Disney that is having quality issues with clothing. I regularly buy tour t shirts and event shirts and the quality and fit is getting poorer across the board. I'm assuming its folk trying to make money and cost cutting or simply the downside of everyone buying in emerging markets and them getting over committed and cutting corners to meet delivery dates.
Use of generic design however is another issue :mad:
Just print shirts on Hanes Hefty again. Those things cost like $2.40 each.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Teens and college students cannot be a very valuable market. As a group, they lack a significant amount of disposable income. The misconception though is that this group needs rides and thrills, and that just is not true. Enchanted Tales with Belle being a dark ride could have been just as alienating if it was aimed at only pleasing young children (vicarious enjoyment by parents does not count and should be excluded from Disney's parks). It's about tone, heart and respect for the audience as capable of thought and feeling.

I would like to clarify and elaborate on your points here, as I believe they were misinterpreted. Teens and college students only have disposable income as they don't have responsibilities such as a mortgage and such. However, they don't have enough disposable income to take a vacation to Disney. Therefore the demo is not worthwhile to Disney, they need the parents.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I was living and working in China during the Beijing Games and it was a very amazing experience.

Let's put it this way, I wouldn't trade being at the Opening Ceremonies for a 25-year supply of Disney Parks Blog freebies!

I truly am holding out hope the Olympics in 2024 can be held in NY. Perhaps it is a long shot but I think it would be beyond cool, despite the horrific traffic it will cause.

KevinYee

Btw, each attendant also got a $50 gift card. Same thing was given out at the media event.

This was my first event with the Parks Blog (except one where I was the guest of someone else, two years ago). I planned to mention the $50 card in my write up, as it kind of shocked me when I saw it. But I did *not* know that the media were given the card as well on their evening a few days ago. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom