Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctornick

Pleasure Island was not aimed at attracting college students. The big fish were adults without children and the convention attendees on expense accounts who were leaving property at night.

Yeah, I always thought it was basically aimed at the people going off property to go to Church Street Station (is that still around?).

I can't imagine it would be geared towards college students, who are going to be poor. As a general rule, college studios aren't going to pay a premium for a nicely themed night club when they can go to an unthemed place with cheap food and drink instead.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And College kids are usually a fantastic demo to target for nightlife who typically do have disposable income (or at least enough), depending if you're in a college town... I don't think Orlando fits that, at least not like Nashville, Knoxville, Tallahasee and Gainesville. Tally was voted #1 party city in America when I was younger.

I agree...

Targeting College kids means doing it cheap.. and in volume. College bars/etc make their money by doing it BIG in volume. Getting high volumes of college kids means being being within the transportation of the college kids.. walking/buses/etc. To make the college kids go out of their way to TRAVEL to you really means building your product specifically to them (cheap booze, food, sex, dancing, etc) and being SO GOOD at it that they will sacrifice to be there.

Other types of businesses do it by catering to the specifics of the demographics (late hours, right location, etc).

None of these apply to a location like WDW... an island out away from everything, that is too much of a prude to be hip and sexy, too slow to be on the leading edge, and overcharges for EVERYTHING.

That's not to say there aren't college age kids that like Disney... but their existence doesn't make Disney a college kid focused product.

JimboJones123

I agree...

Targeting College kids means doing it cheap.. and in volume. College bars/etc make their money by doing it BIG in volume. Getting high volumes of college kids means being being within the transportation of the college kids.. walking/buses/etc. To make the college kids go out of their way to TRAVEL to you really means building your product specifically to them (cheap booze, food, sex, dancing, etc) and being SO GOOD at it that they will sacrifice to be there.

Other types of businesses do it by catering to the specifics of the demographics (late hours, right location, etc).

None of these apply to a location like WDW... an island out away from everything, that is too much of a prude to be hip and sexy, too slow to be on the leading edge, and overcharges for EVERYTHING.

That's not to say there aren't college age kids that like Disney... but their existence doesn't make Disney a college kid focused product.
College kid budget, $5-7. Seriously, when a night at the bar does not even include food, $5-7 bar budget. Even kids on a parent credit card still understand the need to limit themselves.

StarWarsGirl

College kid budget, $5-7. Seriously, when a night at the bar does not even include food, $5-7 bar budget. Even kids on a parent credit card still understand the need to limit themselves.
Which is why my parents say if I go out I have to pay for it myself, hence I don't go out very much and when I do I can splurge a little. Or I do stuff with them. They however don't make me pay for food as long as I'm only going out every once in a while

Also, movies here cost $9 student price.

I also haven't racked up students loans and who knows what else. Most kids I find have pretty good spending habits and have found ways to save money for the stuff they really want to do

flynnibus

Premium Member
Which is why my parents say if I go out I have to pay for it myself, hence I don't go out very much and when I do I can splurge a little. Or I do stuff with them. They however don't make me pay for food as long as I'm only going out every once in a while

Also, movies here cost $9 student price.

So how does this help your point? <$10 budget won't even buy you a QS meal at Disney.

mgf

@WDW1974 will love this...

‏"@BanksLee Loved talking to social media guru Mya Space at the #CaliGrill meet-up! She even had a working Polaroid."

BTsMuDVIIAEKLnb.jpg

Mr Bill

Do you think it was a Disney CM? Not that it makes it any better...or makes me take the event any more seriously.
It was a CM, hired to either entertain or mock the people at the Meetup or something. I'm not sure what the idea was.

Mr Bill

UCF is right around the corner, so it might. But I don't think it's considered a "party school"
UCF's getting a reputation as a party school, but the problem is that the main campus is not anywhere close to being right around the corner from WDW. It's a solid 35 miles away.

Lee

Adventurer
It was a CM, hired to either entertain or mock the people at the Meetup or something. I'm not sure what the idea was.
Not sure about the former, but (in my mind, at least) it certainly succeeded at the latter.

Just curious...
When did the meaning of the term "meet up" or "meet" change from that of an informal gathering of people with a common interest to referring to a sponsored party held for the blatant purpose of bribing pseudo/wannabe-media types with gifts/food in exchange for favorable word of mouth or coverage?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom