Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

fillerup

Using the VGF as an example, it takes 1174 points to stay a week in a Grand Villa during Spring Break or Summer. (1419 points for Easter or Christmas.) At $150/point, that's $176,100 just to buy the points! Annual Maintenance Fee is another $6351 per year just to maintain those points!

While I'll just go ahead and choose to trust your numbers, well........:eek::eek:!

Funmeister

I never could understand why they never built a resort on the Epcot beam around Bambi Lake? I hate that they keep cramming more and more on the MK beams when there is a ton of land between TTC and Epcot. Sure you cannot see fireworks but they upcharge for guests having direct access to the beam.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I never could understand why they never built a resort on the Epcot beam around Bambi Lake? I hate that they keep cramming more and more on the MK beams when there is a ton of land between TTC and Epcot. Sure you cannot see fireworks but they upcharge for guests having direct access to the beam.
Where is Bambi lake?

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
While I'll just go ahead and choose to trust your numbers, well........:eek::eek:!

Easily verifiable... I have included the points chart for 2013.
VGFpoints.jpg

This is directly from the financing offer sheet provided before my purchase:
Vacation Points Purchasing
$145.00/point for current members only (This was a limited time purchase option for DVC members only)
2013 Annual Dues $5.4100/point

The items in italics are my additions.

The current price point is at $150 and is probably on the way up again. So the math is right. It costs $176,100 to buy these points if you want a shot at the "Highest Price Weeks". What is even worse is paying the premium of the guaranteed week at those numbers.

At the rate of sale for VGF, I would speculate that the "Developer Mouse" is going to place an even higher premium on points at Poly. I would not be surprised at a starting rate of $160 per point. Until I see some real park development though, the "Developer Mouse" is not getting any more of my pennies.

If they do put those bungalow over the water of the lagoon, sight lines will be the least of my worries. Sinking things is easy in Florida. The last thing I would want to wake up to is a floating bed and a swim in the lagoon in the middle of the night. Bugs and critters hold little appeal for me too... (Relax usual suspects, this paragraph is in jest. It's only funny because it's possible.)

It is very sad to see something so well themed become less so. I do hope that a replacement water feature is a greater themeing element. If not,it isn't a surprising outcome.

I will always remember my stay at the Poly. The fireworks, the lagoon light parade on the water, and the feeling of being even farther away from the ordinary world. Oh the things that tear at the heart are the things for which a word was crafted, Nostalgia.

*1023*

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour

Even better, they could build a DVC/Deluxe resort right at the EPCOT main gate. You build over the existing entry and offer SSE views or Premium Parking views.

{wink}

*1023*

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Even better, they could build a DVC/Deluxe resort right at the EPCOT main gate. You build over the existing entry and offer SSE views or Premium Parking views.

{wink}

*1023*
In the not so distant past the rumor was they were looking at building DVC rooms behind and/or amongst the countries in world showcase. Some of the rooms would have direct views of the lake and illuminations with a possible owners lounge like BLT with views of illuminations. This came from some pretty reputable sources as something being considered.

RSoxNo1

FUNNY BUT TRUE SPIRITED NEWS

Apparently, the team of Guest Services staff that is handling issues with guests over MM+ issues has a name ...they are being called The Avengers.
Is that why My Magic + doesn't work East of the Mississippi?
NEWS COMING SOON

GAC changes. Hint: I love what I am hearing.

But I don't weigh 450 pounds and drive an ECV, have a made up anxiety issue that allows me to visit WDW but just not wait in lines or have a child who is mildly autistic that I use as a get me to the front of the line with six family members pass.
I'm less optimistic about this.

RSoxNo1

I watched it last week for the first time in my life and enjoyed it. Maybe my friends disliked it on its release because we were accustomed to *great* Disney movies instead of mediocre ones. Compared to today's animated fodder, "Atlantis" is impressive.

Is it? The jury seems decided after three yawns in a row.

Period music and acting styles aside (I'm looking at you, Snow White), his films are still considered the best with good cause. Has anyone, including Pixar, approached the power of "Pinocchio," the daring of "Fantasia," or the simple heart of "Dumbo"? Today's animated movies beat viewers over their heads with milquetoast morality and coy plays for sentiment. Walt was accused of saccharine back in his day; I wonder how those critics would handle the three endings of "Finding Nemo"?
Monster's University was the 4th highest grossing Pixar movie:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=pixar.htm

RSoxNo1

I can confirm, Magic Bands, FP+ all made available, set up, bands delivered and FP+ made and modified, all well before the 'official' email invitation to be part of the magical test group. So, yes, was available without any announcement or invite.

It's almost like the invite was an afterthought...maybe they thought things were going good and opened up for participation, but then more 'bugs' were found and a little backtracking to make sure people know it's a 'test'?
Well, the good thing is that the system is so easy to use that people will be able to take advantage of it without any real tutorial or explanation of any kind.

GiveMeTheMusic

Monster's University was the 4th highest grossing Pixar movie:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=pixar.htm

I think @tirian was referring to the critical reception. Pixar hit a high with Toy Story 3, both with B.O. and critical/artistic reception. Cars 2 was a financial/critical disappointment, Brave made some $$ but was not unanimously praised, and MU received a cool critical reception as well. The last 3 movies haven't entered the zeitgeist as Pixar classics before them have - they're starting to blend in with the other fare being released.

HMF

I think @tirian was referring to the critical reception. Pixar hit a high with Toy Story 3, both with B.O. and critical/artistic reception. Cars 2 was a financial/critical disappointment, Brave made some $$ but was not unanimously praised, and MU received a cool critical reception as well. The last 3 movies haven't entered the zeitgeist as Pixar classics before them have - they're starting to blend in with the other fare being released.
I am of the opinion that you should try to please the audience not the critics. That doesn't mean speaking down to the lowest common denominator but talk to the audience with mutual understanding and sincerity rather than the condescending view of the audience that seems to be the rule in modern Hollywood.

tirian

I am of the opinion that you should try to please the audience not the critics. That doesn't mean speaking down to the lowest common denominator but talk to the audience with mutual understanding and sincerity rather than the condescending view of the audience that seems to be the rule in modern Hollywood.
Regardless of how much money MU made, I was bored and my opinion tends to align with mainstream critics anyway. Just IMHO.

stevehousse

For me and my kids, we just weren't interested in the story line to actually go and see it! I don't care about Mike and Sully at college!

I want my Boo back!!!

Had they made a true sequel with Boo a little older doing stuff with the monsters I think would have been much better!

I don't know any young kid tht actually even know what a prequel means!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
For me and my kids, we just weren't interested in the story line to actually go and see it! I don't care about Mike and Sully at college!

I want my Boo back!!!

Had they made a true sequel with Boo a little older doing stuff with the monsters I think would have been much better!

Excellent observation, and what kept me away as well.

It's gotten such rave reviews though, I'll see it I'm sure. When it hits DVD...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Interesting thing about the attendance patterns. Seems like more and more people view WDW as a weekend destination than a full week vacation. Could it be that this has something to do with the prices they charge... :cautious:
It very well could be. Friends of ours were recently planning their first ever trip to WDW. They wanted to do 3 days in a deluxe resort. After seeing the price of the resort and 3 day park hoppers they opted to stay offsite and wound up only doing Disney one day and went to Sea World and had a lounge at the pool/shopping day for the other two.

My friend makes very good money and could easily afford the deluxe room and park tickets but he said the price was just insulting and he couldnt willingly pay it without feeling ripped off. He did say they had a wonderful time at MK and look forward to going back but you have to wonder how many other families with good money to spend are shocked at Disneys high resort prices and stay offsite then wind up shaving off a few days of Disney for other parks/activities.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.

I want my Boo back!!!

I saw it - once.
On the other hand, I saw Despicable Me 2 three times - the last time requiring a 40 minute (one way) trip out of town to do so.

Agnes > Boo, but just by a little.
Agnes > a cocky teenaged Sully, by leaps and bounds.

Minions > Monsters

Gru > Roz

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I saw it - once.
On the other hand, I saw Despicable Me 2 three times - the last time requiring a 40 minute (one way) trip out of town to do so.

Agnes > Boo, but just by a little.
Agnes > a cocky teenaged Sully, by leaps and bounds.

Minions > Monsters

Gru > Roz
Shrek 1 also took hits at Disney, and was brilliant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom