Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GymLeaderPhil

Also, a CM tried to tell us that in FL they can't take your picture like they do in DLR to identify who you are because it is illegal. I'm curious if anyone knows if this is true or pure BS.
Misinformed. Anaheim and Orlando's ticketing and turnstile systems are different beasts. WDW could start taking photos with iDevices for each ticket over four days - it would really hurt the ticket resellers and they have enough electronics already at the main entrances.

I wish we had photos versus the biometric scanners, because if the bio fails it's up to a photo ID which nobody seems to carry on them.

PeterAlt

That's great to hear. GAC is made for people like my father: Two devastating diseases, one being a rare neuromuscular disease, the second an even rarer cardiovascular disease, along with having a permanent tracheostomy, and he has to be in his custom wheelchair for any distance more than essentially walking from the house to the car, etc. It INFURIATES me to see all the lazy, disgusting turds in their ECVs rolling around and little Johnny who just doesn't like to stand in a line (what kid does?) and he gets bestowed a GAC. Good riddance to all the abusers.
Wasn't there a South Park episode that dealt with this?

PeterAlt

I don't do too badly... the missus has to be careful though. Need to show off the colour in the autumn in Mancunia!
Hey, didn't know you were British. One quick question. Why do more Brits go to WDW than DLP? For God's sake, just take the Chunnel and you're there! Much faster and cheaper than flying to the States! Besides, DLR needs your money or they're gonna have big problems soon. Just forget you're in France and remember Disney is an American company and you're experience there will be almost like as if you were in the US at WDW... Kinda... Not really... Okay, not even close... But good enough!

Soarin' Over Pgh

REAL SPIRITED NEWS***

OK, here goes. TDO management has been pulling its collective hair out over the NGE rollout. That is fact. That also isn't news. This is.

Last week, a top WDW dog fed up over massive issues with MM+ walked in and fired all the coders. I am trying to get clarification on whether the entire coding team (meaning everyone) was replaced or just a particular group due to frustration over the pace of rollout. I believe it was the entire team.
NEWS COMING SOON

GAC changes. Hint: I love what I am hearing.

But I don't weigh 450 pounds and drive an ECV, have a made up anxiety issue that allows me to visit WDW but just not wait in lines or have a child who is mildly autistic that I use as a get me to the front of the line with six family members pass.

....before it gets buried in twelve pages of nonsense.

I'm curious more about the first comment. I wonder how many got canned and who flipped his/her lid and did it?

Fe Maiden

Now you need a weather channel app...

Was that Sunday, August 18? If so I was there, and the cause was partially the storm, yes. Pirates was down due to a technical issue and came back. A lightning strike hit over in Tomorrowland. I heard and saw it from Adventureland, and another member told me she was on Peoplemover and the ride stopped. They were then evacuated. Multiple rides were then down, including PeopleMover, Buzz, Stitch (which can stay down as far as I'm concerned) Carousel of Progress, Monsters Inc., Under the Sea, and others. Wishes was delayed 45 mintes, the second MSEP never happened. Yes I found all this out from my MDE app. Buzz came back up, but so many effects were off that they should NEVER have reopened it. It was worse than Splash Mountain before the refurb

It was later in the week on Friday, but we were also in the MK on the 18th and taking cover under Stitch when the lightening struck.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Not much time today for MAGIC, but I would be remiss if I didn,t point out that the Disney Parks Blog apparently invited 100 or so bloggers and Lifestylers to a meet up to show off the revamped California Grill (most who would never dine at the restaurant on their own if they actually had to ... Well, you know ... Pay. This is the group that orders burgers without cheese so they can save 30 cents or takes cups of water because they are too cheap to pop for a Coke. In other words, they are not regulars to the Grill.)

The back and forth whining on Twitter about who got invited and who didn't is typically amusing.

Disney may not be transparent about much, especially NGE. But about buying local whores?They sure don't mind if the world sees it all for what it is.
Of course those that didn't get in will be brought along as guests of those that did get in. That is how the Twitter/Blogger club works.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
REAL SPIRITED NEWS***

OK, here goes. TDO management has been pulling its collective hair out over the NGE rollout. That is fact. That also isn't news. This is.

Last week, a top WDW dog fed up over massive issues with MM+ walked in and fired all the coders. I am trying to get clarification on whether the entire coding team (meaning everyone) was replaced or just a particular group due to frustration over the pace of rollout. I believe it was the entire team.

Seven Stages of IT Projects:

Phase 1: Uncritical Acceptance
Phase 2: Wild enthusiasm
Phase 3: Dejected disillusionment
Phase 4: Total confusion
Phase 5: Search for the guilty
---> Phase 6: Punishment of the innocent <----
Phase 7: Promotion of nonparticipants

fosse76

Dunno... UNI does a great job of confusing guests on what the different EP options are, etc. What I do agree with is, they push it hard in the parks to buy them... I find the sandwich boards everywhere tacky IMO.. almost as bad as the DVC Kiosks.

I agree there. And the seasonal pricing can literally change overnight, so even the costs aren't clear. I really hate the seasonal pricing...as far as I'm concerned it shouldn't cost more than the ticket you used to enter the park. But I'd rather have those sandwich boards than signs in the queues themselves. At Six Flags, they have the typical "XX minutes from this point sign" but are actually ads for the Flash Pass. And to try to swindle you into buying one, often the sign for "60 minutes from here" will only be 10 feet in front of "30 minutes from here." It never is accurate, though, but you can see them really trying to sell them, like Universal.

Yes, in recent iterations it has been downsized in it's prominence . it used to be a full panel. But the system is also going on 15 years old... awareness is pretty good :)
The problem with the visibility in the maps is that once people are inside the park, they are more concerned with locations and not really looking at the other printed information in the map.

Certainly there are some that are tucked away more than others (its far worst at Disneyland) - but the signs are still there.
DLR is definitely worse. In most cases you need a map to find the FP distribution kiosks. Their locations aren't at all obvious, if you aren't looking for them that is.

Let's be honest... the idea of fastpass is above every attraction that uses it.. and there is a CM stationed basically right under that sign. All the opportunity in the world is there... I think Disney does their part in terms of awareness and making it simple. I mean look at the map from 2011... it breaks FP down into three easy steps.

IMO - more than enough guidance for folks.
I don't disagree, but the question was why more people get angry at Disney than at Universal, and my position was simply it is more obvious at Universal what Express Pass is (not to say that it isn't obvious at Disney, either, it just seems morseo at Universal because it is advertised in practically every shop).[/quote][/quote]

fosse76

Also, a CM tried to tell us that in FL they can't take your picture like they do in DLR to identify who you are because it is illegal. I'm curious if anyone knows if this is true or pure BS.
I'm sure it's probably BS. DLR only recently started taking pictures for non-AP holders. In the past they simply asked for a photo ID.

Belowthesurface

I'll type this slowly for you...

The people that were complaining here... have since stopped complaining about this change even after being in the parks under the new rules. All their tales of doom and gloom passed. And somehow they have managed to survive the parks since.

Why is that so hard for you to comprehend the scope of that point?

Yes I'm talking about 'people on the internet'.. because they were the specific complainers I was pointing to!

Why on earth would I use the complaints or praise of 3rd parties to point to the lack of complaints from someone in particular.

You can belabor this all you want with the woes of the front line CMs... but when the context of the discussion is the community contributors here, I'll use their own words.

I originally commented on your post when you said we heard nothing after the new rule was initiated. You did not say you heard nothing on the internet. I apologize if I can not decipher your generalized statement.

Had you worked in the parks or known Cast who worked there, they heard plenty when this new rule happened.

Is this response typed slow enough for you to understand?

Belowthesurface

Actually.. what you heard was everyone complaining how this proposed change would ruin everything...
and when it actually went into effect... you heard basically NOTHING. Because the complaints were all hot air and hyperbole. In reality, people adjusted quite easily and they were no worse for wear.

In case you forgot how you generalized, instead of pointing out that only people on the internet care. Am I typing slow enough?

Last edited:

Fe Maiden

Huh. I was also there on Friday, but there didn't seem to be any issues

It was a short period of time from 4:30-5:30. In fact it ended up not even raining. But they closed the pool due to all the thunder and the dark storm clouds were heading over the MK. As we were deciding whether to wait it out to swim, head back to the MK, or find someplace to eat, I checked the MDE app and saw that several attractions were temporarily down. Whether or not it was due to possible lightning I'm not sure but that's what we figured it was. By the time we were done our meal at Kona it was clear again.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Hey, didn't know you were British. One quick question. Why do more Brits go to WDW than DLP? For God's sake, just take the Chunnel and you're there! Much faster and cheaper than flying to the States! Besides, DLR needs your money or they're gonna have big problems soon. Just forget you're in France and remember Disney is an American company and you're experience there will be almost like as if you were in the US at WDW... Kinda... Not really... Okay, not even close... But good enough!

Its incomplete, its near Paris, it has French customer service, its near Paris, the weather, its near Paris its over priced even by Mouse standards, its a bit like visiting the UK pavilion in Epcot, why when you can do it properly.

ChrisM

Firing all the coders! Now that's how to make things go faster. I wonder what this Top Dog's back up plan was for replacing them? I'm assuming this doesn't mean the whole thing is being scrapped, darn it all.
And wouldn't it be fun to chat with those fired, and get some inside info from their perspective.

Indeed, especially considering that it's a pretty tight labor market for developers these days.

And were these internal developers or consulting staff? If the latter, I'm sure that was a pretty hilarious after-action meeting between the Top Dog and the engagement partner.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I agree there. And the seasonal pricing can literally change overnight, so even the costs aren't clear. I really hate the seasonal pricing...as far as I'm concerned it shouldn't cost more than the ticket you used to enter the park

I am not against the flex pricing.. but I think the range they charge is pretty obscene.. especially since it's bundled with hotel stays. I know it helps build up the value perceived for the hotel.. but the sticker shock is pretty bad :)

. But I'd rather have those sandwich boards than signs in the queues themselves. At Six Flags, they have the typical "XX minutes from this point sign" but are actually ads for the Flash Pass. And to try to swindle you into buying one, often the sign for "60 minutes from here" will only be 10 feet in front of "30 minutes from here." It never is accurate, though, but you can see them really trying to sell them, like Universal.

Wow.. that would annoy me to no end. I haven't been in a six flags park in recent memory tho.. the only one near us was aquired by six flags and I haven't been in decades.

DLR is definitely worse. In most cases you need a map to find the FP distribution kiosks. Their locations aren't at all obvious, if you aren't looking for them that is.

Yup.. you can tell they had a much harder time shoe'ing in FP to the attractions at DLR. And that poor retrofit really adds to the hate for FP from the locals.

I don't disagree, but the question was why more people get angry at Disney than at Universal, and my position was simply it is more obvious at Universal what Express Pass is (not to say that it isn't obvious at Disney, either, it just seems morseo at Universal because it is advertised in practically every shop)

I think the volume makes a big difference.. the # of FP users is so much greater.

I really have no empathy for anyone who visits WDW for more than three days and can't figure out how to get a FP by the time they leave. At some point you just have to accept you can't fix stupid.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I adore Hercules. I was amazed to see it on ABC Family this past weekend.

I managed to see it on the TV while I was passing the living room.. and was kind of shocked by the animation style. I haven't sat through the whole movie.. but I was kind of shocked.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Firing all the coders! Now that's how to make things go faster. I wonder what this Top Dog's back up plan was for replacing them? I'm assuming this doesn't mean the whole thing is being scrapped, darn it all.
And wouldn't it be fun to chat with those fired, and get some inside info from their perspective.

I agree - this doesn't sound right.. but some variation/twist based on a sliver of truth.

Weren't we told Disney was outsourcing all this to the likes of Accenture? When you outsource to a vendor, you don't hire/fire the staff as individuals.. they work for the contractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom