Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnibus

Premium Member
@flynnibus ...very well said in 6669. I just wish we could discuss developments as they occur and not keep repeating the same old.

I think if people stuck to the topic of the post there would be less rehashing. There has been a recent rash (not specifically referring to you) of people taking posts out of context and then going off in completely different directions. I found myself wanting to type 'and what does that have to do with anything' way too often.

I think what @fractal highlighted is significant... so far people in the tests who are posting online are receptive to the concepts. Now maybe the hammer hasn't fallen yet, and that will change, but I'll put it out there that the reviews I have seen are actually far more supportive then I expected to see.

Are areas like wifi improving? Because we don't hear every other post complaining about it anymore.. is that old hash, or has there been improvements?

Disney is running out of 'non-peak' time to do this testing. Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas are FAST approaching.

I wonder what motivations specifically Disney has to remove existing FP... could they drag their feet on that to make the FP+ transition less of a shock? I'm sure everyone would think if they had FP AND FP+, it's a winner.. but you've said that's not the case. So does Disney string this out to the point where everyone is hooked on FP+.. and then pull out FP when the addicts are so far down the line they can't fight back?

StarWarsGirl

A few things but firstly to your question posed in the last sentence... Disney used to put your photo on your park hopper way back in the 90s and they are also heavy users of facial recognition cameras... so I doubt their is any law against photos, especially on private property.

As to marketing myopia, it is quite an interesting thought but very complicated in the Disney example. While in a highly generalized analysis it is true that MM+ is a sales tool and it has taken money away from projects that fans want... it also is a tool that produces highly sophisticated marketing analytics. With those analytics they can actually come close to, if not actually define your wants as a consumer. MM+ likely falls into an example of myopia but I am not sure it is so clear cut.
Thanks. I wanted a clarified opinion or Myopia since I was reading about it and wanted to see if it was an example.

Funny thing, right after I posted that, I continued reading and WDW was mentionedo_O. But as normally being smart about brand experiences. MM+ is not necessarily smart

StarWarsGirl

Are areas like wifi improving? Because we don't hear every other post complaining about it anymore.. is that old hash, or has there been improvements?
IMO it's definitely better. Faster, doesn't boot me off. It needs more coverage in area like the pool. Some people like to take iPads and such down there, or laptops if they need to work, and it needs to be a covered area. This is especially true at Stormalong Bay.

What they did do in many areas is eliminate agreeing to the terms of use. Now you log on and you're automatically connected. This is a huge time saver as when I used my iTouch in the parks to check waits, I was frequently booted off and had to agree once again. There's also a smoother transition when jumping between routers. The in-room Wifi does not make you agree to terms of use, but for Apple Devices the log in and authentication screen still appears. But overall, much, much better. Now they need to improve the hotel Wifi in DL...

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Thanks. I wanted a clarified opinion or Myopia since I was reading about it and wanted to see if it was an example.

Funny thing, right after I posted that, I continued reading and WDW was mentionedo_O. But as normally being smart about brand experiences. MM+ is not necessarily smart

I wouldn't say you were wrong but MM+ is really unique in the sense that it data mines and performs targeted marketing. The same data can also define what the masses want. However if the argument is IT infrastructure vs new attractions... and your customers want attractions... myopia it is, so its not wrong but it is complex.

Clamman73

Generally, arrested development adults who can't make it in the real world, who move to Orlando to be closer to WDW (often taking money from spouses, ex's, friends, family, charity etc...) start blogs or websites devoted to Disney and then spend 5-6, even even seven days of the week at the parks. They group together so they can convince themselves that their behavior isn't in fact indicative of underlying mental illness (many view the world like a middle school student might) and Disney has fed this behavior by foisting freebies on them for 'coverage' on largely insignificant ( but not all) websites.

Many of them (again, not all) have all sorts of other 'issues' as well. It is not a term of endearment.

And to think there's a new one right now shaping Cinderella's castle out of mash potatoes at the dinner table...

GSP Guy

I don't think there are as many Bronies as people say. I never had one. I don't recall any males with stuffed animals that weren't also mentally retarded. Women - yes, especially the Borderlines. But not men.

And never a little pony.

Fwiw. Don't mean to take this too far OT.
Let me just clarify before I go any further that I mean absolutely no disrespect to any mentally retarded people. Very important to me that that is clear!

Reactions: luv

Nubs70

I doubt anyone who goes to parks daily is pasty, lol.

If waiting in line and posing for a picture is all they're doing, I'm totally fine with that. It makes them happy. It hurts nobody. I'm good with that.

If Disney gives them a free meal once in a while, I'm happy for them. They're probably delighted.

Working with the mentally ill, I've seen some truly upsetting behavior. I wouldn't go into it here, but you name it, I've seen it. (Well, i always say I've seen it all and then someone does some new wacky thing and I find myself corrected, lol. There is no end to the craziness! But as far as crimes go - been there, seen that.) A person having their picture taken at Disney World neither shocks or disgusts me. I think it really is one of the better problems to have.

I feel for people who struggle with mental illness and wish them all the best while they do the best they can.
So I am not a creep if I'm standing in line to meet Princess Jasmine?

StarWarsGirl

I wouldn't say you were wrong but MM+ is really unique in the sense that it data mines and performs targeted marketing. The same data can also define what the masses want. However if the argument is IT infrastructure vs new attractions... and your customers want attractions... myopia it is, so its not wrong but it is complex.
Good. Thank you.:)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My question is if they plan to eliminate the original FP, how will they serve the spur-of-the-moment guests?

One option is to eliminate them. Make everyone plan ahead.;)

My personal opinion is that at some point in the future we will see some level of FP+ reservations held back for same day booking. If it happens it probably won't even be publicized, but regulars will figure it out.

GSP Guy

Replace the ponies with a mouse named Mickey and yeah... same thing.
This is the type of thing that makes me think I'm perhaps too old school for the internet. I used to not know that much of this existed in society. Although I must admit that I have witnessed some incredibly bizarre interactions at some character meet ups when my children were much younger. The type of things that make you keep your kids a little closer to your hip.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
This is the type of thing that makes me think I'm perhaps too old school for the internet. I used to not know that much of this existed in society. Although I must admit that I have witnessed some incredibly bizarre interactions at some character meet ups when my children were much younger. The type of things that make you keep your kids a little closer to your hip.

Yeah it really is sad.

luv

Let me just clarify before I go any further that I mean absolutely no disrespect to any mentally retarded people. Very important to me that that is clear!
I didn't mean to imply you did and if it seemed like I was, I apologize!!

Most people - even children - know instinctively that making fun of the mentally retarded is just cruel. But some of those people (and I don't mean you or anyone in particular!) will make fun of the mentally ill. They'll make exceptions for old people with age-related dementia or Alzheimer's, but will make fun of people with mental illness.

I've never seen the difference and wish it would stop. I applaud Glenn Close and other celebs who go on TV with their mentally ill relatives.

I'm not saying that the nuttiness isn't sometimes amusing, because it is. We can laugh at the nuttiness itself without making fun of the people. I hope that makes sense.
So I am not a creep if I'm standing in line to meet Princess Jasmine?
You might be a creep. I assume you aren't! But you could be a creep whether or not you go meet Jasmine. Attending a character Meet & Greet is not the litmus test for creepiness. :)

Nubs70

Why is it that if a guy wants to meet Jasmine, it's creepy, but women who want to meet Tarzan aren't? As long as said guy doesn't do something stupid like try to stick his hand down her top, it's fine.
Sorry, a 43 year old man waiting in a line of 8 year olds just out of Bippity Bop is well.... a line of women in line to meet Tarzan is interesting.

Goofyernmost

While we are at it, could you please define "Fanboi?" I am uncertain if I really want to know after learning on here what a Bronie is.:jawdrop:
Funny you should mention Bronie at this point. This past weekend in Raleigh, they had a Bronie convention. The TV cameras scanned the audience and honest to god I have never seen such a large group of losers in my life. It really was sad, and the news people kept making remarks about how weird it was and even at one point used the expression...Ewww!

I felt bad for these people whose problem was probably "arrested development" but they were not harming anyone else. They looked like lonely, sad and dysfunctional human beings desperately searching for friends and people to share things with. I got to thinking how lucky I have been in my life to not be dependent on stuff like that for my self worth. I've had a good career, a great family, a marriage that in spite of ending, did last 29 years and produced two great girls who have since produced 4 grandchildren for me to laugh, play and share with. I spend entirely to much time on this board and others, but since I am retired I no longer have the stimulation of interacting with people on a constant basis. This is as close as I can get to it.

All of us, and that includes the most sanctimonious of the posters here, and at other places, have some sort of socializing problem whether we care to admit it or not. From those like myself that readily admit that, for the moment, I have nothing else to do to those that would have you believe that they are the most sought after, highly productive people on the planet, yet can find the time to respond and comment almost continuously. To clarify, I don't have a problem with people obsessing about Disney, but I do respect those that take ownership of the fact they all of us have a degree of obsession. There is nothing wrong with that until we start to point out fingers at others the have the same or like obsession, but take a different route and call them either mentally ill or developmentally stifled. Believe me, to the outside world, to the people that have real challenges and really important things to accomplish in life, it is pretty likely the problems of Guests at any Disney Park, the condition of the light bulbs, the idea that a ride breaks down more then we would like, is not even anyplace on their radar. We are indeed a group of misfits that are relegated to our own self imposed island and could easily be looked upon, by them, as mentally ill and developmentally challenged.

I don't see anything wrong with us having that obsession. As was stated before we could be doing a lot worse but we have followed this relatively isolated hobby all the time remembering that it was all started by a cartoon mouse. We are not correcting the world and it's problems, but also are not hurting it with any degree of noticeable damage. When someone mentions that they wouldn't be surprised to see a life-styler involved in something much more serious someday, there is a pretty good chance that anyone of us might have that mutant gene just waiting to surface. That is something that can happen within any group of people. To quote the shadow..."who knows what evil lurks within the hearts of men".

When you think about it we are all fighting and arguing about a damn Theme Park. People are out there without the proper shelter and nourishment or clothing. There are people in the world being attacked by chemical warfare, oppressed by power mongers, suffering from natural disasters that have no end, and we as a society spend a large chunk of our day wondering what happened to Miley, and particularly us, we are constantly fighting to get a place like the Disney Company to go back to the original ideals that created the place that we call Disney. It's not going to happen, it's a different world so instead of beating our heads against the wall worrying about FP's, light bulbs, $600.00 hotel rooms perhaps we should advance our own development and try to help a failing world. Basically, I just realized just how little I am contributing to anything by being involved in this stuff. I have managed to take something that I used to find as a great way to shield myself from real life and made it as frustrating as real life. I have managed to zap the fun and joy out of something that I used to call a great part of my life, a part that I used to look forward too. Something just seems wrong doesn't it? Is it them or is it us? I don't have the answer to that.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

Sorry, a 43 year old man waiting in a line of 8 year olds just out of Bippity Bop is well.... a line of women in line to meet Tarzan is interesting.
I'm sure Tarzan found Jane interesting as well...imagine how he would feel about all those women!

GSP Guy

I didn't mean to get off topic. I'm sorry about that but just so people understand what I mean. When I think in terms of problematic mental illness I was thinking more in terms of "Silence of the Lambs" or maybe "Criminal Minds" type stuff.Obviously I realize these are fiction. Now of course I don't know what is truly is in someone's mind or what their intentions might be but I would not allow it to be my child that found out the hard way. Basically you go your way and I'll go mine.

WDW1974

Original Poster
As it was explained to me, these are mentally ill people who have an abnormal fixation on Disney, going to parks nearly daily.

Of all the things to fixate on, I think Disney is probably on of the better ones. It certainly beats stalking women, taking drugs, etc.

I wish the lifestyles all the best.

Unhealthy addictions are just that. Sure, Disney is probably better than crystal meth, prostitutes or gambling.
But that doesn't make it normal or healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom