Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I agree to your agreement :)

Remember the days with one line, and aside from a 101 the line never stopped shuffling forward? Kids, that's how it used to be. And it worked. Slow enough to enjoy properly immersive preshows like Star Tours without having to stand still in standby. Not going into politics and reasons again but FP harmed the actual art of the queue. And FP+ will do it again by all accounts.
Couldn't agree more. My thoughts exactly.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I agree to your agreement :)

Remember the days with one line, and aside from a 101 the line never stopped shuffling forward? Kids, that's how it used to be. And it worked. Slow enough to enjoy properly immersive preshows like Star Tours without having to stand still in standby. Not going into politics and reasons again but FP harmed the actual art of the queue. And FP+ will do it again by all accounts.
We also use to build buildings with hand saws. Just saying.:D

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney has been woefully behind the times in offering free WiFi that nearly any fast food joint offers today, but, their reputation of sucking every last penny from their customer is a reason that many people are extraordinarily skeptical of them. When Disney gives you something for "free," they generally are looking for you to pay for it and more over in some other way.

I don't disagree - but what has that got to do with highlighting areas where Disney's technology infrastructure was lagging and needing upgrade?

Sue_Vongello

I like the analogy actually but I'd push back and argue that the engine isn't actually broken and the car drives quite well. If you believe the stuff about attendance, occupancy, and room rates all being down, you'd be spot on. I happen to not believe those things to be true. Though the car could certainly use a paint job.

Sorry I am SO LATE in responding to this ... BUT ... I am going to anyway ...

I didn't say the engine was broken but in keeping with my analogy they literally have done nothing to maintain or improve the engine in ten years or more except maybe whatever the equivalent would be of of opening the hood and letting the rain "clean" the engine? ... Anyway ... the point is that yeah all this fancy stuff is great but an old engine is an old engine so how long can it last? And while the GPS and safety tech or whatever is awesome and maybe possibly actually useful ... the car won't run very long with an outdated and not maintained engine.

In regards to attendance, to me it's irrelevant what the attendance or occupancy rates are, we don't have numbers to debate it with knowledge anyway (although a side point would be I think wait times seemed low anytime I was there this summer and have never had a problem booking rooms ... additionally if occupancy rates were great we wouldn't see discounts but I digress).

The one point of fact we have is there hasn't been serious additions to the park in years, period ... so back to my engine analogy ... no matter what the attendance is ... the engine can only run for so long without making some improvements to it and with all the money focused on the GPS the ignored engine will be a problem, sooner or later.

Essentially, I am saying, negatives aside about MyMagic+ ... if they would just have spent that money combined with adding first rate attractions and not neglecting the parks over the past few years, we wouldn't be so upset about being micromanaged or monitored or whatever ...

It's the fundamental principle that current regime has totally forgotten ... give us first rate attractions and first rate service and we will literally give you all our money, privacy, and time ... it's that easy.

PeoplemoverTTA

First off, I just want to say that I respect those few people who have posted about their experience with Magic Bands and FP+ during this testing phase - thanks for sharing your experiences.

But, this is a controlled testing phase with very few people participating (relative to the # of guests staying on property and/or visiting the parks). So the lines won't be hugely affected, and the fact that you may have been able to book FPs the day of isn't surprising.

Multiply the testing group X 100 or 1000 (I have no idea how many people are in the testing group right now).

Do you really think that you'll be able to cruise through your vacation and easily book all these things, day of? From the evidence provided by our resident insiders and experts, it doesn't seem likely, but for my own sake (and all of ours), I sure hope that's the case.

But just keep perspective here on the success of your "test" visits, because the likelihood is that it won't resemble your future vacation.

One other point, on the criss-crossing for current FPs. You could very well have to do that on your new and "improved" Next Gen WDW vacation. As a gazillion more Guests (give or take a few ;)) flood the system, you may not be able to casually book your FPs strategically near each other...even 60 days out. You may have to get FPs for Splash at 11am, then hustle over to Space Mountain for 12pm FPs. But wait, you could only get ADRs for Liberty Tree Tavern at 12:30pm that day, so you better hustle right back over to Liberty Square.

Sounds relaxing, doesn't it? Soooo much easier, booking everything in advance! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Clamman73

One other point, on the criss-crossing for current FPs. You could very well have to do that on your new and "improved" Next Gen WDW vacation. As a gazillion more Guests (give or take a few ;)) flood the system, you may not be able to casually book your FPs strategically near each other...even 60 days out. You may have to get FPs for Splash at 11am, then hustle over to Space Mountain for 12pm FPs. But wait, you could only get ADRs for Liberty Tree Tavern at 12:30pm that day, so you better hustle right back over to Liberty Square.

Sounds relaxing, doesn't it? Soooo much easier, booking everything in advance!

What I wonder is will a CM give someone a sympathy pass for such a circumstance. Hopefully people won't be forced into such a situation with picking FPs...

PhotoDave219

It's the fundamental principle that current regime has totally forgotten ... give us first rate attractions and first rate service and we will literally give you all our money, privacy, and time ... it's that easy.

Are you suggesting that they would make even MORE money if they reinvested in the parks long-m, stimulating the business instead of approaching it from a quarterly, short term point of view?

Quit with that silly talk, you're going to cause some poor wall-street schmuck to coke out and have a heart attack!

lazyboy97o

Essentially, I am saying, negatives aside about MyMagic+ ... if they would just have spent that money combined with adding first rate attractions and not neglecting the parks over the past few years, we wouldn't be so upset about being micromanaged or monitored or whatever ...

These sorts of hypotheticals are really rewriting the scenario into something completely different. If Walt Disney World was never left to rot there would be no need for new experiences or a massive technology upgrade. Even if, five or so years ago when NextGen was born, they had decided to plow forward with new and refreshed experiences, there would still be a need to update the technological backbone of the Resort. Much of NextGen is/was inevitable and being mad at it ignores the far larger cultural and business issues behind the operation of Walt Disney World that will not be fixed by new experiences alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom