Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clever Name

Have you ever gone through a SunPass lane with the SunPass in your glove box?
When I first purchased a SunPass it was mailed to my home via USPS. After I received the SunPass in the mail, I went online to register and view my new account. I noticed that several dollars in toll charges had all ready been charged to my account from the Florida Turnpike. Yet I hadn't even mounted the SunPass on my car's windshield.

I wrote an email to the SunPass folks and told them of the improper charges. I found out that my Sunpass had been charged while it was riding in the back of USPS tractor trailer hauling the mail for delivery in route to my location. The SunPass system works very well.

Clamman73

Now, for the bad....I strongly suspect that this will change when this goes live. I will likely have to pre plan these fp+'s, not 3 days out, but 60 days out. Ive already said i resent preplanning my days like this. Moreover, I strongly suspect I might not be able to get fp+s in successive order when this thing is live. Also, I noticed some other negatives. The attractions that don't need fp? Like potc? In my opinion, the queue is ruined, I had never waited as long as I have to ride pirates. ed me off to no end. Putting a fp queue on this ride, just to provide the choice to fp+ hopefuls, is a travesty.

People were getting a bonus fastpass for Pirates - not sure if that had an impact. I don't see a bonus fastpass offered at MK during my October picks.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm just curious if its the Palantir people. Because that would actually be exactly what they need to do exactly what it appears for them to be doing.

Yes... I'm accusing Disney of both Data Mining and then half-assing the way they're likely going about it.
I strongly suspect they fell into the "outsource it to <pick a third world country>" mantra...it's what Harvard Business and the smurt people there have been preaching for years.

I fight it every time, because it's basically handing not only your business model, but your data over, to a third party where, even if you have amazing international legal experts, you are screwed.

But, I have had to sit through multiple meetings with people who's business qualifications are "they went to Harvard"...

<sigh>

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I strongly suspect they fell into the "outsource it to <pick a third world country>" mantra...it's what Harvard Business and the smurt people there have been preaching for years.

I fight it every time, because it's basically handing not only your business model, but your data over, to a third party where, even if you have amazing international legal experts, you are screwed.

But, I have had to sit through multiple meetings with people who's business qualifications are "they went to Harvard"...

<sigh>
It's frustrating to watch highly educated people run a company into the highly themed restroom. Going through it right now.

ToTBellHop

<sigh>
Surely, had they gone with Yalies, we wouldn't be in this mess and would instead have had 15 new rides since 2008.
It's frustrating to watch highly educated people run a company into the highly themed restroom. Going through it right now.
If only someone could grab a frying pan from said restroom and start beating some Harvard heads.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It is frustrating, I agree.

I sit there, with people I respect, looking at them like they are nuts...do they really think this is a good idea?

And, after doing a few projects where I did outsource, and having mixed results, do you really think this guy who did nothing but party at Harvard but has trouble setting up his iPhone to connect to his Gmail account really has any clue what he's pitching?

<facepalms>

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Surely, had they gone with Yalies, we wouldn't be in this mess and would instead have had 15 new rides since 2008.If only someone could grab a frying pan from said restroom and start beating some Harvard heads.
Yale is also one of the "suspect" institutions...as is Vandi.

I eyeball anyone who comes from those places as a "business" major...and suspect them of being idiots who are very good at selling things.

PhotoDave219

<sigh>

Its my understanding that all that outsourcing caused more problems then it saved in money...

The Empress Lilly

Since you were off enjoying yourself at the world instead of hanging around here, the latest news on the $3B number is that its been pretty much debunked as an exaggeration. Not trying to open that can of worms again, but the consensus seemed to be the actual spend is somewhere around the budget of $1.2 billion already but people are estimating that number could go up since all of the spend is not complete yet. Still an insanely large number that is difficult to comprehend.
Shame that the debunking came to late to preserve Pixiedustmaker for this website.

You know, that terribly polite, interesting poster who has been brutally bullied away from this website in this very thread by a barrage of outrageous insults for his daring to say the number is closer to one than three billion.

Once more, shame on all of you involved. What a disgrace.
(not you, goof)

ToTBellHop

Yale is also one of the "suspect" institutions...as is Vandi.

I eyeball anyone who comes from those places as a "business" major...and suspect them of being idiots who are very good at selling things.
mmmm...they certainly aren't idiots. They just ended up in a field they don't really belong in. Then there is the issue of what they were taught in ivy-covered 300 year old buildings. One thing you can't deny--they are smartly dressed.

MattM

When I first purchased a SunPass it was mailed to my home via USPS. After I received the SunPass in the mail, I went online to register and view my new account. I noticed that several dollars in toll charges had all ready been charged to my account from the Florida Turnpike. Yet I hadn't even mounted the SunPass on my car's windshield.

I wrote an email to the SunPass folks and told them of the improper charges. I found out that my Sunpass had been charged while it was riding in the back of USPS tractor trailer hauling the mail for delivery in route to my location. The SunPass system works very well.
Interesting. Often times, we end up with 2 sunpass transponders in the same car, for whatever reason. I simply put extra in middle compartment or glove box and have never had a double charge.

Heck, often times the one mounted on windshield doesn't even get debited when we go through a booth.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Its my understanding that all that outsourcing caused more problems then it saved in money...
I have NO doubt about that. None at all.

Outsourcing works if you have a VERY good idea what you are trying to produce and can explain it to the n'th detail.

It does NOT work if you have a project that requires the outsourced coder to think at all.

Toss in language, project management, and time zone differences, and you are looking at a complete nightmare.

Every dollar "saved" is lost when the project overruns, doesn't work properly, etc...

It's a false savings.

But, I got to listen to how "all these people are college educated" from asshats who sell it...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
mmmm...they certainly aren't idiots. They just ended up in a field they don't really belong in. Then there is the issue of what they were taught in ivy-covered 300 year old buildings. One thing you can't deny--they are smartly dressed.
Yes, they are idiots. Certificated ones.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Something must have happened to their brains between the time they got accepted into Harvard and when they got into the field. I've seen a similar phenomenon from Yale Law grads...hmmm....
Yes, it's called Ivy League Disease.

It involves a plant growing into their brain, making them think that they are smart. And people, accepting their paper certificate as proof of it, not questioning their statements.

PirateFrank

Thanks for the update. About how long was the line for POTC? To me longer standby lines are the biggest perceived negative of FP+.

Since you were off enjoying yourself at the world instead of hanging around here, the latest news on the $3B number is that its been pretty much debunked as an exaggeration. Not trying to open that can of worms again, but the consensus seemed to be the actual spend is somewhere around the budget of $1.2 billion already but people are estimating that number could go up since all of the spend is not complete yet. Still an insanely large number that is difficult to comprehend.

Thanks for the update. It's good to know that they aren't that stupid.....at least throwing 1.2B isn't as bad as 3B.

As far as the potc line? We were quoted 25 min. Pure crap. It was the worst line of the day for us....at least a 45 minute wait to get to the merge.

StarWarsGirl

In the Parks
No
Thanks for the update. About how long was the line for POTC? To me longer standby lines are the biggest perceived negative of FP+.
Pirates was running about 30 minutes and Buzz Lightyear was running 45 minutes every time I went to MK (Four times in two weeks). Granted, I went on Fridays and Saturdays, but still. Buzz is not usually that crowded this time of year.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Thanks for the update. It's good to know that they aren't that stupid.....at least throwing 1.2B isn't as bad as 3B.

As far as the potc line? We were quoted 25 min. Pure crap. It was the worst line of the day for us....at least a 45 minute wait to get to the merge.
Pirates was running about 30 minutes and Buzz Lightyear was running 45 minutes every time I went to MK (Four times in two weeks). Granted, I went on Fridays and Saturdays, but still. Buzz is not usually that crowded this time of year.

Not good. I am hoping the bonus FP+ that someone mentioned had some impact at least for Pirates. Seems like the predictions of this system creating longer standby lines are probably correct.

PirateFrank

Not good. I am hoping the bonus FP+ that someone mentioned had some impact at least for Pirates. Seems like the predictions of this system creating longer standby lines are probably correct.

The bonus fastpass I got was haunted mansion....but the thing is, you can change it. You don't have to use the one you got. Going into the my disney experience app and changing the fastpass is fairly simple, and you can change either the time you got or the experience itself. So whenever I got those bonus fp+'s, I quickly changed them to something where a fastpass is needed, like splash or Peter Pan.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Shame that the debunking came to late to preserve Pixiedustmaker for this website.

You know, that terribly polite, interesting poster who has been brutally bullied away from this website in this very thread by a barrage of outrageous insults for his daring to say the number is closer to one than three billion.

Once more, shame on all of you involved. What a disgrace.
(not you, goof)

Was he banned or did he just leave? I enjoy hearing opposing points of view, but I don't enjoy the back and forth battles full of personal attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom