Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Exactly!

One of the more intangible aspects of old skool WDW that us veterans keep going on about, is that classic WDW felt magical because of all its high tech everywhere, which was there as much for entertainment as for practical purposes. Classic WDW had a layer of tech and transportation systems over it that elevated the place over more mundane attraction park experiences.

That monorail, the worldkey, even the satellite dishes and polling station, those were as essential to the EPCOT experience as the rides. I really did prefer that over a possible FW attraction eight, just as much as right now I might prefer a queue-less Disney over adding WDW rides 72, 73 and 74.

Disney has given all the tech away, Audio-animatronics outsourced, no innovative ride platforms sigh

Lee

Adventurer
You talk about minimal queuing but if you add the time it takes you to walk from wherever your family happens to be in the park to pick up your Fastpass, return to wherever your family has gotten to, and then go back to Splash in your Fastpass window, you aren't actually saving any "queue time," you're just converting it to "walking back and forth" time.
Not much. I can get to any point and back in just a few minutes. Its not like it takes 45min-hour to run get a FP. I'll gladly walk across a park to get a FP, if I know they weren't all taken a month ago.

lazyboy97o

If you are referring to Disney, I fixed that for you! Other then that, for many years, they were the innovators in technology.
'Were' is the key word. Disney hasn't been in years due to the cut for growth mentality and mall-based business model.

I'm sorry if I didn't explain it correctly. What I was trying to say is that they shouldn't spend massive sums of money on new technology when they can't afford running water.

Take care of the basics first, then spend money on new tech doodads.
At this point the technology has become part of the basics. And I am more inclined to believe that Disney has deliberately adjusted the flow of water as a cost savings measure than there being any sort of actual issue.

luv

'Were' is the key word. Disney hasn't been in years due to the cut for growth mentality and mall-based business model.

At this point the technology has become part of the basics. And I am more inclined to believe that Disney has deliberately adjusted the flow of water as a cost savings measure than there being any sort of actual issue.
Yes, I get that. They can't afford running water, but they can afford a billion dollars on tech doodads.

I'd put reliable plumbing ahead of new, RFID door locks. We obviously differ on this and may as well agree to disagree. :)

ThemeParkJunkee

Yes, I get that. They can't afford running water, but they can afford a billion dollars on tech doodads.

I'd put reliable plumbing ahead of new, RFID door locks. We obviously differ on this and may as well agree to disagree. :)

I hadn't heard of "running water issues" prior to reading this thread (which I have read or skimmed in it's entirety). Would it be off topic to explain?

I agree that crumbling infrastructure should supercede tech as an expenditure, especially of the magnitude of NGE.

ThemeParkJunkee

Basically the "running" water doesn't. It barely trickles, making it nearly impossible to rinse the soap off your hands. It seems to get worse every time we visit.
Is this in the restrooms? I haven't visited in a while. Even the third world countries I've visited at least have cold running water.

luv

I hadn't heard of "running water issues" prior to reading this thread (which I have read or skimmed in it's entirety). Would it be off topic to explain?

I agree that crumbling infrastructure should supercede tech as an expenditure, especially of the magnitude of NGE.
Like Nemo summed up - we don't have reliable, running water in the Ladies' Room sinks. Sometimes, there is literally no water. A few drops (literally) come out and then NO water at all. Sometimes it is a trickle or a weak stream. On rare occasions, you get actual, running water. It is cold! But it comes out. You can find variations in the same washroom.

But running water from the sinks is no longer something you can count upon in WDW bathrooms. Not by a longshot!

It would seem that they can't afford running water, but can afford a billion dollars for new wristbands, door locks and credit card machines.

Things that make you go Hmmmmm.

Haven't noticed...just do like I do...don't wash your hands and you won't notice. See there are simple solutions to every problem. :jawdrop:
Ew! Yuck! Gross! Icky!

That is disgusting.

I've always figured that people assume the lack of running water is a temporary malfunction. That's why we never hear complaints.

To think that people aren't complaining because they don't wash...oh, goodness, maybe I should lie down for a bit.

Last edited:

ThemeParkJunkee

Like Nemo summed up - we don't have reliable, running water in the Ladies' Room sinks. Sometimes, there is literally no water. A few drops (literally) come out and then NO water at all. Sometimes it is a trickle or a weak stream. On rare occasions, you get actual, running water. It is cold! But it comes out. You can find variations in the same washroom.

But running water from the sinks is no longer something you can count upon in WDW bathrooms. Not by a longshot!

It would seem that they can't afford running water, but can afford a billion dollars for new wristbands, door locks and credit card machines.

Things that make you go Hmmmmm.

Wow. Just....Wow. Note to self: bring hand sanitizer and stop at Guest Services to complain. This is unacceptable on so many levels.

Goofyernmost

Ew! Yuck! Gross! Icky!

That is disgusting.

I've always figured that people assume the lack of running water is a temporary malfunction. That's why we never hear complaints.

To think that people aren't complaining because they don't wash...oh, goodness, maybe I should lie down for a bit.
If the toilets flush properly, then it is not a case of running water it is a case of either malfunctioning faucets or that new tech stuff where no one can figure out how it works. Probably a result of cut backs to save the planet from unnecessary water waste. It's not easy being Green.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Off topic because I'm totally over the current back-and-forth discussion that never dies....

But I was here this morning. Before it even opened. I got here, and sat outside like a Cinderella-less orphan until it opened. With tail tucked, I withdraw any and all "pixie dust snorting" comments I may have made. (And no that's not me in the pic)

For the record, this is the third time I've parked, gone into the store dead set on buying that Dumbo plush, and left after the sticker shock hit me and took me for a loop. One day I'll do this task drunk so I can blame alcohol on letting me buy a plush at that price.

Ok, carry on with the nonstop NGE, FP+, NSA talk. I'll continue to skim until something interesting comes up.

luv

If the toilets flush properly, then it is not a case of running water it is a case of either malfunctioning faucets or that new tech stuff where no one can figure out how it works. Probably a result of cut backs to save the planet from unnecessary water waste. It's not easy being Green.
The toilets, nearly without exception, flush well.

The lack of running water was a cutback, to be sure. It being done to "be green" is rather doubtful.

Goofyernmost

The toilets, nearly without exception, flush well.

The lack of running water was a cutback, to be sure. It being done to "be green" is rather doubtful.
Well, that's their story and they are sticking with it. I almost hesitated using the word "sticking" then decided it was appropriate. :)

Reactions: luv

Computer Magic

I agree about reliable plumping. Did I mention the toilets overflowing at the Beach Club. My room and three other took the plunge. I also had WiFi issue earlier in the week. I got quicker results from WiFi, so money well spent :rolleyes:

Reactions: luv

willtravel

I have similar reports from friends who used the bands recently. They went through multiple trips to the front desk after the bands failed to open their room. They wished they were never at a resort for a test. The childrens bands had all of their fast passes disapear while the parents were fine. A trip to guest relations was required in a park to fis the problem. The GR person shared with them that it was a known problem and being worked on. "Have a Magical day!"
I sure hope this is all worked out before the holiday season starts or I think I would ask for a transfer out of guest relations.

Goofyernmost

I agree about reliable plumping. Did I mention the toilets overflowing at the Beach Club. My room and three other took the plunge. I also had WiFi issue earlier in the week. I got quicker results from WiFi, so money well spent :rolleyes:
Plumping is important too. Don't let anyone tell you different. Toilets overflowing at the Beach Club! On e-bay tomorrow...waterlogged Mickey Plush for sale cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom