Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes, it surely would have, however, since no one has been told that they were good for life for quite a few years now and they have put up signs to that affect not only at the dispensers, but also at the display where they sell the mugs, I'd have to guess that no one either wanted to know or cared what it said. Dishonesty is very seldom honest. The you owe me gene is very powerful.
You are probably right. I just think they could have tried enforcing the rule first before turning to this extreme action. I have never seen a CM actually tell someone they couldn't re-use the mugs. It was pretty much a known thing that Disney looked the other way. I imagine most of the violators were regular visitors who frequent places like this. Use the social media arm to publicize that the free soda is over and bust some people for it and word would have spread like wild fire. This just feels very passive aggressive. We don't want to upset anyone face to face so let the machines tell them they can't get a refill.

WildcatDen

Please consider the context of his time when Ben Franklin

That is another funny thing. Some many people today seem to know with 100% certainty, what the founding fathers were thinking and the manner in which we are currently doing things does not fall in line with the Founding Fathers wishes. How can we possibly know this? There can be multiple interpretations of the written word, they are almost always going to be swayed by your own beliefs. That said, one can almost pigeon hole any Founding Father stance to meet their own.

Now, I understand Gru's minions are yellow, and the evil minions are purple. What color are Spirits minions?

Tim_4

Must we go round and round on the fact that the Disney company was founded on values that were not based on chasing the bottom line?
I'm so glad you reminded us. I almost forgot that tickets for Snow White were free and Disneyland gave free food and merchandise to anyone who wished upon a star.

devoy1701

I'm so glad you reminded us. I almost forgot that tickets for Snow White were free and Disneyland gave free food and merchandise to anyone who wished upon a star.

Excellent Hyperbole. But nickel and diming your clientele is a bit different than simply charging for your product. Profits come from delivering the people what they want (and being able to steer their opinion on what they want as well), but Disney tacked on those extras that set their experience well above the others and delivered what people wanted BETTER than people could have dreamed. Attention to the smallest details is what allowed Disney to be priced higher than the competition. Stop paying attention to those small details and you lose what made Disney Disney.

I guess we do still need to go round and round...

Goofyernmost

1023 said:
"When we consider a project, we really study it--not just the surface idea, but everything about it. And when we go into that new project, we believe in it all the way. We have confidence in our ability to do it right. And we work hard to do the best possible job. Oh, after I die this will no longer apply." - Walt Disney
Fixed that quote by adding the rest (bolded)for you.
I know that you were being a tad sarcastic when you put it that way, but the fact of the matter is that that ending added phrase applies to any of us that have ever lived on this earth. We are all mortals and our specific philosophies of life die with us. Others may want to copy them and will, but even the most sincere of them eventually die off and the whole premise just gets more and more diluted. The reason is because if a person, like Walt Disney, hold onto and puts in action his philosophy it is because he knows how to. There is no guarantee that those that follow, no matter how much then may want it, have the knowledge to carry it through. So, we have whatever the next generation comes up with, believes and puts into action. All the whining in the world will not change that.

Even Walt's statement is a whole lot naive. He should have said that...
'When I consider a project, I really study it--not just the surface idea, but everything about it. And when I go into that new project, I believe in it all the way. Everyone else has confidence in my ability to do it right and because they believe in me, we work hard to do the best possible job. But who knows what will happen when I die...they might not even try and build my dream for EPCOT. That last sentence was just added for my amusement, ignore it if you like.

FigmentJedi

-Then of course there was the Backlot tour, which was pretty bad. The narration feel flat in its humor and none of the movie props they had were relevant what so ever. I don’t think I’ve even heard of Dinotopia.
It was an ABC Miniseries adapting a book that should have been a Disney animated feature.

lazyboy97o

That is another funny thing. Some many people today seem to know with 100% certainty, what the founding fathers were thinking and the manner in which we are currently doing things does not fall in line with the Founding Fathers wishes. How can we possibly know this? There can be multiple interpretations of the written word, they are almost always going to be swayed by your own beliefs. That said, one can almost pigeon hole any Founding Father stance to meet their own.
Some good assumptions can be made based on multiple written records. Many ideas existed even then and were deliberately rejected. Other accepted hesitantly. No reason to believe otherwise. What needs to happen is the end of the deification of the Founding Fathers. It is okay to disagree with them. There is not even any one single position. They all had different ideas and could get quite nasty when in disagreement.

Goofyernmost

You are probably right. I just think they could have tried enforcing the rule first before turning to this extreme action. I have never seen a CM actually tell someone they couldn't re-use the mugs. It was pretty much a known thing that Disney looked the other way. I imagine most of the violators were regular visitors who frequent places like this. Use the social media arm to publicize that the free soda is over and bust some people for it and word would have spread like wild fire. This just feels very passive aggressive. We don't want to upset anyone face to face so let the machines tell them they can't get a refill.
I do understand what you are thinking, but, you also have to think about the fact that what they are doing is not all that complex. You put a cup in place, and it will give you your drink. If you have paid for it, you will receive it, if you haven't, you won't. I have known a number of three year olds that would have mastered that concept in seconds. You still get what you paid for, unlimited for whatever time with the only prevision that you might have to wait two whole minutes between fill-ups. The only ones that will have any upset about this are those that want to have an easy way to cheat the system. Those that find that morally it is OK to steal from the rich. All the rest of us will be absolutely fine with the system, in fact, I know for myself...I will feel better about purchasing one, if I do.

WildcatDen

Stop paying attention to those small details and you lose what made Disney Disney.
Great point and that can be said for any product of which you are a regular customer. There is a reason some new companies succeed and others fail. Your comment is one reason. Do it better than the other guy and provide a better experience. I think the Disney Model may not be the most accurate example, though. For the majority of Florida Disney Park goers, trips are every once in a while and not weekly, monthly or even yearly. Based on that model, cutting corners are not as noticed by the masses, it is still Disney, right. That, for most of those who care deeply about the current product, is what is so hard to take. The fact that their neighbor down the street is doing all they can to meet the original model makes it all the more frustrating.

FigmentFreak

We stayed at Portofino last year for something like $170 per night with the AP rate. More than what Spirit pays, but still pretty good. The only thing I didn't like was there was no refrigerator in the room, but there was a mini bar. I'd prefer an empty fridge for my water! But everything else was excellent and I had a great talk with the manager at the front desk about how we used to stay at the Poly but now we can no longer afford it. He said he has heard that a lot lately!

If you ask they will empty out the minibar fridge and you use it for yourself. I always do this when we stay at the UNI hotels.

Goofyernmost

Now, I understand Gru's minions are yellow, and the evil minions are purple. What color are Spirits minions?
Black and blue, would be my guess! He is a tough master. :joyfull:

CDavid

It is well known that Walt Disney was a ruthless businessman.

Walt is also (better) known for his creativity and vision. The two need not - and should not - be mutually exclusive, but the problem arises when a creative enterprise like The Walt Disney Company places its focus almost completely upon profit and pleasing the shareholders.

That's how DCA went so wrong the first time, and an increased focus on quality and the guest experience is how things went so well when they fixed it (and, lo and behold, the profits followed).

MattM

:hilarious:In a state that probably has the WDW logo on it's state flag, I wouldn't doubt that they might not spend a whole bunch of advertising money that close by. Now Georgia, South and North Carolina (I do see them regularly but not often in NC) that might be targeted. Don't know, but I do know that you almost never see a Disney Ad up north until it starts to snow. There is no reason to go after them in the summer because almost all of the natives have massive allergies to heat and humidity. The mere thought of summer in the south thrusts them into shock.:happy: At least that's the way I was when I was a native there.

He's not on our state flag, but there is a grassroots movement to get our beloved legislature to put it up for a vote ;)

I agree, and I should have further mentioned that during the recession it seemed (and memory could be a little fuzzy) that commercials were on regularly for "Year(s) of a Million Dreams" and "What Will You Celebrate" with its catchy little tune. Since then I have not seen as much.

MattM

It's always been a business. But it used to be a business that didn't condescend to the customers and tried to give customers more than their money's worth.
That's fair, but you also have to consider that the customer has changed. If Disney were forced to give their customer more (i.e. all the MM+ haters actually cancelled trips to ALL Disney parks), then they would.

Truth is, most people, the people who do no visit SNOT IV, still think Disney is a wonderfully magical vacation.

MattM

Walt is also (better) known for his creativity and vision. The two need not - and should not - be mutually exclusive, but the problem arises when a creative enterprise like The Walt Disney Company places its focus almost completely upon profit and pleasing the shareholders.
I don't think that's true.

Let me ask you, how are shareholders pleased?

devoy1701

Great point and that can be said for any product of which you are a regular customer. There is a reason some new companies succeed and others fail. Your comment is one reason. Do it better than the other guy and provide a better experience. I think the Disney Model may not be the most accurate example, though. For the majority of Florida Disney Park goers, trips are every once in a while and not weekly, monthly or even yearly. Based on that model, cutting corners are not as noticed by the masses, it is still Disney, right. That, for most of those who care deeply about the current product, is what is so hard to take. The fact that their neighbor down the street is doing all they can to meet the original model makes it all the more frustrating.
Simply saying that "Disney is a business too" is almost like giving them a free pass because they have to make a profit.

They'll make a profit (probably a lot more than they're making now) if they go back to their core principles of show quality and efficiency above all else. Give the guests a REASON to visit the parks, instead of trying to find out how to cut costs and get more from the guests who are ALREADY visiting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom