Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

njDizFan

Excuse this non-sequitor but I had a very unusual incident happen to me over the weekend at a Disney Store.

My wife and I were shopping for some Magical slippers for the little ones at the Disney store in our mall in NJ. We decided on the 2 we wanted to purchase and I told my wife to go ahead and get in line at the pretzel joint down the road. I waited at the registered and was greeted be a very friendly CM. We had a few nice words but during the transaction I took out my card and was going to swipe. She told me "here I'll do it for you" and started to swipe it at the register. She turned the card around and said it's not signed I need to see ID. I explained that this was my wife's card(we like to use a seperate account for miscelaneous purchases-and the card is in her name) and she doesn't sign it for security reasons. She said well we'll put the purchase to the side and wait for her to come back or use a different card.

So I called my wife to come back and show ID so I could make the purchase. Now, I know if you go to some states this occurs from time to time. In NJ this is unheard of. In the last 10 years I have been asked for ID a total of never. It doesnt matter signed, different gender name...it's just not a priority for NJ merchants.

Waiting for my wife to come back I approached the manager and asked her the deal. She said it for security. when I explained how this never happens she told me, we started doing this so we make sure we have "accurate information".

Any CMs out there at a Disney Store know about this new "precaution" did I just stumble upon the wrong cashier? Just a little strange considering all the other data mining coalescing at the parks.

Goofyernmost

Difference being, with FP+ there is a likelihood of all the FP being gone before the park even opens. As someone who has no desire or interest in booking ride times weeks in advance, I don't like it. For me, that makes it a fail.
I predict that the dad who wants to take his three year old on Dumbo, but is faced with either a 90min standby line or using a FP at 11pm (because all the others were booked a month out) will see it as a failure, too.
To be honest Lee, if you include in that procedure that they are going to limit the number per day (3 per person last heard) and the number of parks per day (1 last heard) then unless I'm missing something here, there might be MORE FP's available to non-planners then there is now. So what part am I missing?

That part said, I agree 100% that the idea of deciding not only what park you are going to be in that far in advance, what time of day you are planning on being near the location of the chosen ride that far ahead, the weather factor, the family needs factor, unpredicted illness or injury then I really have a hard time imagining why, once the whole picture comes clear, anyone would find it a good thing. Also throw in there more FP attractions to divide them up by and it seems like one might just be better off without planning then planning.

The additional FP locations are a blatant way of getting people to use up their allotment on attractions that all of us know are not needed (or have never been needed). We, as a group of people that have made multiple trips there, are going to know that, but, first timers or even people that have only been there 2 or 3 times might just be convinced that all FP attractions are created equal.

GiveMeTheMusic

Excuse this non-sequitor but I had a very unusual incident happen to me over the weekend at a Disney Store.

My wife and I were shopping for some Magical slippers for the little ones at the Disney store in our mall in NJ. We decided on the 2 we wanted to purchase and I told my wife to go ahead and get in line at the pretzel joint down the road. I waited at the registered and was greeted be a very friendly CM. We had a few nice words but during the transaction I took out my card and was going to swipe. She told me "here I'll do it for you" and started to swipe it at the register. She turned the card around and said it's not signed I need to see ID. I explained that this was my wife's card(we like to use a seperate account for miscelaneous purchases-and the card is in her name) and she doesn't sign it for security reasons. She said well we'll put the purchase to the side and wait for her to come back or use a different card.

So I called my wife to come back and show ID so I could make the purchase. Now, I know if you go to some states this occurs from time to time. In NJ this is unheard of. In the last 10 years I have been asked for ID a total of never. It doesnt matter signed, different gender name...it's just not a priority for NJ merchants.

Waiting for my wife to come back I approached the manager and asked her the deal. She said it for security. when I explained how this never happens she told me, we started doing this so we make sure we have "accurate information".

Any CMs out there at a Disney Store know about this new "precaution" did I just stumble upon the wrong cashier? Just a little strange considering all the other data mining coalescing at the parks.

All merchants are supposed to ask for ID if the card is unsigned as a security measure. That it has never happened to you before is amazing, but the reality is that most minimum wage workers don't care enough to ask for it. At DLR, I get asked for photo ID for every single transaction with very few exceptions (my card is also unsigned).

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't understand Jason Garcia's bizarre antics in the Twitverse. Adding in a detail that either he knowingly is falsely stating or he is that dumb and is being played by someone at Disney, sorta adds to my Spirited Monday Intrigue.

Let's be 100% crystal (meth) clear (yes, been watching lots of Breaking Bad): it was never a decision to either datamine with NGE or build a boutique park. He's putting that out to froth over the fans, so they won't notice that -- yet again -- he puts puts out a story that largely reads like PR for TDO AND DERAILS CONVERSATION AND CRITICISM. That's something Disney is most grateful for.

How he opts to miss so much of the story is simply disgusting. And asking the Twitverse to basically write his stories is weak, even with today's standards of journalism.

Some of the answers he seeks are right in front of him on that damn screen. Then again, he 'had to make room for Disney's 80 percent claim.' Now, help me out here, is he still maintaining that he is a journalist?

WDWDad13

Yes, someone is certainly not happy that the article didn't go their way.

But to bash someone's job/pay (but let's be honest, he doesn't have a clue what he gets paid) because you didn't like their article ought to show some true colors.

amen

asianway

The merchant is always supposed to verify the signature on the card vs the one you sign - that is the "PIN" if you will.

As noted by a PP, it is almost never followed, but in this case, they acted 100% on target for proper procedure.

Magenta Panther

shapeimage_4.png

The above is from the aforementioned John 's website - it's concept art for a now-defunct project called "Disney's Enchanted Forest".

Just look at that. LOOK AT IT. It's a Tree Castle. That's what could have been, folks. Man, I think I'm gonna cry...

WDWDad13

The above is from the aforementioned John 's website - it's concept art for a now-defunct project called "Disney's Enchanted Forest".

Just look at that. LOOK AT IT. It's a Tree Castle. That's what could have been, folks. Man, I think I'm gonna cry...

and water... something I think the new fantasyland missed out on. Some of the concept art showed a lot of waterways and features....maybe the new coaster will have some in and around the area.. we'll see

WDW1974

Original Poster
I posted this late last night but i will repost because it is that important! everyone needs to go out and seek the new documentary "Terms and Conditions May Apply"

It will blow your mind and pretty much put an end to the whole privacy debate that has been a huge rant here lately of everyone going back and forth arguing that they still actually have a right to said privacy...

I cannot stress enough how everyone needs to see this! It's scary what our world is turning into and Disney is now jumping on that bandwagon as well...

And for anyone that is worried about being "tracked" inside Disney World, I think after watching te documentary you will see that there are much bigger things to worry about...

Anyone who has lived in the USA post 9/11 knows we have much bigger things to worry about.

BUT this is a Disney-centric forum. And how far Disney gets to push the privacy/tracking boundaries will likely have profound impact on people who would never set foot in 'a children's park' like the MK.

And Disney is being about as open and transparent on this as our government is on its unprecedented in human history surveillance program.

Hey, Georgie K, that's what I think isn't OK.

Last edited:

njDizFan

The merchant is always supposed to verify the signature on the card vs the one you sign - that is the "PIN" if you will.

As noted by a PP, it is almost never followed, but in this case, they acted 100% on target for proper procedure.

I understand what you are saying and it is in the right of the merchant to ask me for this verification. But I can tell you with absolute certainty(as a NJ resident and a bank officer), in the state of NJ i have never been asked for and ID when using my debit card for PIN based transactions or otherwise( and I use my wife's debit card for nearly all my daily transactions). And if anyone here from NJ can attest that never happens. Just thought it was unsusl as well as the response.

Radok Block

That is gloriously lovely.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Depends on what you mean by "fans". If you are talking about people who love the product, know how things work and why, and believe in high quality standards then Fans should be running the business. If you are talking about the Lou Mongello/Defender's of Mediocrity/ Brand advocates then yes that kind of fan should not be running the business.

John Lasseter is a fan. Tony Baxter is a fan. ...Hell, Walt Disney was a huge fan.

No, I wouldn't hire Fanboi XXXX to run WDW. But I wouldn't preclude hiring him because he is a fan.

I hope most folks here realize that many Disney execs are outwardly contemptful and dismissive of the products they sell to the masses.

the.dreamfinder

I understand what you are saying and it is in the right of the merchant to ask me for this verification. But I can tell you with absolute certainty(as a NJ resident and a bank officer), in the state of NJ i have never been asked for and ID when using my debit card for PIN based transactions or otherwise( and I use my wife's debit card for nearly all my daily transactions). And if anyone here from NJ can attest that never happens. Just thought it was unusual as well as the response.
As someone who often shops in NJ, I have never been asked for ID when using my credit card. I also do not have my signature on said card.

WDWDad13

John Lasseter is a fan. Tony Baxter is a fan. ...Hell, Walt Disney was a huge fan.

No, I wouldn't hire Fanboi XXXX to run WDW. But I wouldn't preclude hiring him because he is a fan.

I hope most folks here realize that many Disney execs are outwardly contemptful and dismissive of the products they sell to the masses.

and how dare they run a business and provide value to stockholders

hey I don't agree with everything they are doing (and especially everything they aren't doing) but at some point we have to come to reality and see that they aren't designing the parks based on comments from us on these forums...they are running a business and theme parks are just a part of that global business whether we like it or not... and unfortunately we all aren't imagineers on the disney payroll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom