Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

lebeau

1. Empire - If you don't rank Empire #1 we have nothing left to talk about
2. Star Wars - I'm not calling it A New Hope no matter what George Lucas says. It was named Star Wars. And Raiders was not named Indiana Jones and the Raider of the Lost Ark either. The first film does a lot of heavy lifting and exposition.
3. Jedi - Should have been in the top two but marred slightly by Lucas trying to sell toys. Also doesn't help that most of the lead actors are clearly going through the motions.
4. Sith - It's not good. But it's the only prequel that can be called "watchable"
5. Phantom Menace - Everything good about this movie involves Darth Maul. I think he gets 15 minutes of screen time and 1 line.
6. Clones - Somehow managed to be worse than Phantom Menace even with less screen time for Jar Jar!

Animaniac93-98

2. Star Wars - I'm not calling it A New Hope no matter what George Lucas says. It was named Star Wars. And Raiders was not named Indiana Jones and the Raider of the Lost Ark either. The first film does a lot of heavy lifting and exposition.
3. Jedi - Should have been in the top two but marred slightly by Lucas trying to sell toys. Also doesn't help that most of the lead actors are clearly going through the motions.
4. Sith - It's not good. But it's the only prequel that can be called "watchable"
5. Phantom Menace - Everything good about this movie involves Darth Maul. I think he gets 15 minutes of screen time and 1 line.
6. Clones - Somehow managed to be worse than Phantom Menace even with less screen time for Jar Jar!

I wish I could "like" this more than once. I'll also add that Jedi suffers from a poorly construced "arc" for Darth Vader and from other odd plot ideas ("you know what we need, another Death Star! What could go wrong?").

Animaniac93-98

I'll make the more controversial statement that even at its best I don't think Star Wars is top tier sci-fi material, at the very least from a writing standpoint.

Though I don't think it makes kids dumb like a certain critic once said (well, at least not the original trilogy).

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I actually put Star Wars at #1 and Empire #2, not because I think Star Wars is a better movie but because I saw it in the movies when I was 9 and it had a profound effect on me. Even though Empire is a better movie it can't top the connection I have with the first one.

lebeau

I actually put Star Wars at #1 and Empire #2, not because I think Star Wars is a better movie but because I saw it in the movies when I was 9 and it had a profound effect on me. Even though Empire is a better movie it can't top the connection I have with the first one.

That is the ONLY acceptable reason for ranking Empire #2. I have felt the same way at times.

lebeau

At least I had empires strike back as my number one and had the first two prequels at the bottom! Our list is actually pretty close

I saw the first Star Wars when I was 7 years old. So I grew up with strong opinions on the subject. But over the years, I have learned not to care very much any more. These days, I'm mostly kidding. As long as we can all agree Jar Jar is an abomination. Also Han shot first dammit.

I wish I could "like" this more than once. I'll also add that Jedi suffers from a poorly construced "arc" for Darth Vader and from other odd plot ideas ("you know what we need, another Death Star! What could go wrong?").

Here is what I never *got* about Jedi. What the #@%& was Luke supposed to do once he surrendered himself to Vader? Just stand there and hope his dad grew a pair after two decades plus of being the Emperor's lapdog? He presumably killed I don't know how many Storm Troopers and assorted bad guys up until the finale of Jedi. But all the sudden he can't make a move against Vader or the Emperor without turning to the Dark Side. Even as a kid, that didn't work for me.

The lesson of the new *special editions* seems to be that if you live a good life, you will be an old man in the afterlife. But if you kill untold millions across the galaxy, you will be rewarded with eternal youth.

JimboJones123

I like this post a lot. Empire is my favorite movie ever. It was Star Wars for a long long time. Very respectful post.

CinematicFusion

Star Wars is the best. Without Star Wars, Empire Doesn't work. Star Wars is regarded as the greatest summer movie of all time for a reason. If you were alive in 1977 when this movie came out, it would have rocked your world The strangle hold this movie had on the imaginations around the world, well... I have never and will never see anything like it again.

It mimicked the arrival of the Beatles to America, or the facination American girls had with Elvis the moment he shook his hips the first time on T.V.

Potter, Marvel...nothing comes close to Star Wars in 1977. Truly a phenomenon of epic proportions.

George Lucas was on top of his game back then. Created a world no one had ever seen with technology that was then 20 years ahead of its time.
Fast forward to 2013 and Star Wars is still relevant, and George Lucas and his 4 billion dollar check from Disney isn't doing to bad either.

We are all human and are skills don't stay as sharp forever. Micheal Jordan soon became old, Brian Wilson's flame only burned at the level of the sun for so long. In 1977, Lucas was clicking on all cylinders and man what a site it was.

Star Wars is number one...Empire is number two.

tirian

I read this and think:

How on earth do they expect to make $$$ on this (I'm not talking 'break even' money, I'm talking even a microcent of extra revenue on this).

So no datamining after all.... so there goes that part...
There will be some data mining, but it's no worse than what they currently know—unless you really care about whether or not they realize you ride Universe of Energy 4 times in a day. o_O

So now they want everyone in effect to wear their KTTW card on their wrist. It's supposedly 'easier' than pulling out your wallet, but then you need a PIN.
And that's assuming the readers properly see the Magic Band on the first tap! (Hint: they don't.)

For parks that some people contend are 'half-day' parks, people who think that they are 'done' with a park early aren't going to automatically look for another place on property to eat/spend money if they are in a rental.

And for every person who likes FP+, I suspect a whole lot more will hate it.

And they are spending *how much* on this?

Is putting up for sale 'I'm With the Band' t-shirts next to the Turkey Leg & Dole Whip shirts going to justify 2.8 billion in capex?...
Good news is, there are many people within the Company who know that WDW needs to compete with Uni's massive success. Bad news is, the Company is bloated and ultimately run by people who don't understand its legacy or how to look beyond the next earnings report.

Remember when Disney built the latest, greatest attractions just 'cause they COULD?

I'd love to know how the Mice Age gang is enjoying Michael "theme parks fall apart under me" Colglazier in California. :D

lebeau

I'll make the more controversial statement that even at its best I don't think Star Wars is top tier sci-fi material, at the very least from a writing standpoint.

Though I don't think it makes kids dumb like a certain critic once said (well, at least not the original trilogy).

As a lifelong fan, I can't disagree with you. At its best, it's pure escapism. But if you think about any of the movies for more than a second, the flaws show.

In Star Wars, Luke's aunt and uncle who raised him from a baby are killed. He finds their smoldering bodies in a heap in his burned out childhood home. They died arguably because of his actions. Luke gets quiet for a second and then takes off for outer space adventures without a second thought. Ben, and old man he has known for I dunno two weeks dies and suddenly he is inconsolable.

In Empire, Luke leaves Hoth at the same time as Han and the others. During the same time it takes Luke to complete his Jedi training - the same training most Jedi begin as children - Han and the others make the flight to Bespin. How long were they flying to Bepsin? Was the training really just a few days or was Bespin years away? If it was the latter, what did they eat in all that time?

tirian

Star Wars is the best. Without Star Wars, Empire Doesn't work. Star Wars is regarded as the greatest summer movie of all time for a reason. If you were alive in 1977 when this movie came out, it would have rocked your world the strangle hold this movie had on the imaginations around the world. I have never and will never see anything like it again.

It mimicked the arrival of the Beatles to America, or the facination American girls had with Elvis the moment he shook his hips the first time on T.V.

Potter, Marvel...nothing comes close to Star Wars in 1977. Truly a phenomenon of epic proportions.

George Lucas was on top of his game back then. Created a world no one had ever seen with technology that was then 20 years ahead of its time.
Fast forward to 2013 and Star Wars is still relevant, and George Lucas and his 4 billion dollar check from Disney isn't doing to bad either.

We are all human and are skills don't stay as sharp forever. Micheal Jordan soon became old, Brian Wilson's flame only burned at the level of the sun for so long. In 1977, Lucas was clicking on all cylinders and man what a site it was.

Star Wars is number one...Empire is number two.

Since we're off topic anyway, the general opinion tends to agree with everybody here: Empire is the better movie but Star Wars laid an incredible foundation. You can pick/choose which one you prefer at will.

All this talk prompted me to pull out the Blu-Rays and watch the original trilogy again. Last night I was surprised at how slowly and properly Episode IV builds its story. The originals had real PLOTS! Tentpole Iger might want to take note.

tirian

The fallout from Lone Ranger continues. The biggest takeaway is Bruckheimer possibly losing final cut and a reduced budget, although $200 mil is nothing to sneeze at.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/artic...may-lose-final-cut-pirates-5-exclusive-109136
It's impossible for Hollywood to keep repeating its POTC formula and expecting the moviegoing public not to eventually get burnt out from mindless tentpoles.

I'm not sure how much of TLR fallout is actually Bruckheimer's fault, versus his overall weakness as a filmmaker. Big stunt scenes and vanity pieces? Check. Obvious exposition from cardboard characters? Check. One eccentric character to spice up the story? Check. Running time that's about 30–45 minutes too long? Check.

Make money.

FigmentJedi

The lesson of the new *special editions* seems to be that if you live a good life, you will be an old man in the afterlife. But if you kill untold millions across the galaxy, you will be rewarded with eternal youth.
Lucas's loose idea was Anakin's ghost coming back younger because of the whole "Anakin died when he went to the Dark Side" thing. Of course, it's the sort of explanation that would require some exposition to take seriously within the film rather then some side comments so it doesn't work at all.

PhotoDave219

As a lifelong fan, I can't disagree with you. At its best, it's pure escapism. But if you think about any of the movies for more than a second, the flaws show.

In Star Wars, Luke's aunt and uncle who raised him from a baby are killed. He finds their smoldering bodies in a heap in his burned out childhood home. They died arguably because of his actions. Luke gets quiet for a second and then takes off for outer space adventures without a second thought. Ben, and old man he has known for I dunno two weeks dies and suddenly he is inconsolable.

In Empire, Luke leaves Hoth at the same time as Han and the others. During the same time it takes Luke to complete his Jedi training - the same training most Jedi begin as children - Han and the others make the flight to Bespin. How long were they flying to Bepsin? Was the training really just a few days or was Bespin years away? If it was the latter, what did they eat in all that time?

BTW Santa isnt real. Neither is the easter bunny.

tirian

Lucas's loose idea was Anakin's ghost coming back younger because of the whole "Anakin died when he went to the Dark Side" thing. Of course, it's the sort of explanation that would require some exposition to take seriously within the film rather then some side comments so it doesn't work at all.
Thanks for making me realize "Lucas" could be misspelled "Loose-A$$."
You made me smile. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom