Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

khale1970

SStar Wars is regarded as the greatest summer movie of all time for a reason. If you were alive in 1977 when this movie came out, it would have rocked your world The strangle hold this movie had on the imaginations around the world, well... I have never and will never see anything like it again.

I tell younger folks that they can never understand and appreciate living in a world where nuclear war (and the end of life on earth) was expected and planned for if you didn't live during the Cold War. Star Wars is obviously a much more trivial thing, but if you didn't live through that summer, you can't truly understand it's impact.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I think one big advantage Star Wars had was timing, and realize I was born in 1978 so this isn't actually my era, but...

I know most movies in the 1970's were modern realist movies...hardly any good fantasy stories, and even going back to the sci-fi of the 1960's, it was mostly about freak creatures from other planets, no huge storyline with a fantasy plot and incredibly unique special effects.

lebeau

I tell younger folks that they can never understand and appreciate living in a world where nuclear war (and the end of life on earth) was expected and planned for if you didn't live during the Cold War. Star Wars is obviously a much more trivial thing, but if you didn't live through that summer, you can't truly understand it's impact.

Here is the epic tale of the first time I saw Star Wars. Be prepared to cry like a baby. ;)

lebeau

I think one big advantage Star Wars had was timing, and realize I was born in 1978 so this isn't actually my era, but...

I know most movies in the 1970's were modern realist movies...hardly any good fantasy stories, and even going back to the sci-fi of the 1960's, it was mostly about freak creatures from other planets, no huge storyline with a fantasy plot and incredibly unique special effects.

I don't think any movie can ever hope to duplicate the cultural impact of Star Wars for that exact reason. The times were a-changin'. Movies were generally not pure escapism. And in the 70s, we needed some of that. Jaws kind of set it up. But Star Wars was like escapist crack. Now, every movie is pure escapism so no one movie can stand out.

But back then, lemme tell ya kids, minds were blown. You young uns who saw Star Wars on video can't comprehend.

StarWarsGirl

Here is the epic tale of the first time I saw Star Wars. Be prepared to cry like a baby. ;)
If it makes you feel better, my mother never went to see it because her parents were cheap too and said they would wait for it to come out on video. Well, they only had beta max, and it didn't come out on that version. So she didn't see it until I sat her down a few years ago and made her watch it with me.

lebeau

I saw it on DVD and then TV, thank you very much:p

No, we can't comprehend. Only keep it going...

And that's cool too. ;)

As an old guy with two kids and a 50-hour-a-week job, I can't muster up much enthusiasm for new Star Wars. You guys keep it going. But try to keep it on the right track, okay?

lebeau

If it makes you feel better, my mother never went to see it because her parents were cheap too and said they would wait for it to come out on video. Well, they only had beta max, and it didn't come out on that version. So she didn't see it until I sat her down a few years ago and made her watch it with me.

I have bad news for her. It came out on Betamax. I had a copy. ;)

StarWarsGirl

And that's cool too. ;)

As an old guy with two kids and a 50-hour-a-week job, I can't muster up much enthusiasm for new Star Wars. You guys keep it going. But try to keep it on the right track, okay?
Hey, I'm a fan of the original. Only three Blue Rays are on my shelf. But yes, we'll steer it in the right direction, lol.

Magenta Panther

You know, I'd be all for keeping Star Wars going if the prequels hadn't sucked giant North American beaver cojones, if I may be so blunt. Plus, the new SW characters are crappy compared to the originals. None of the new guys can compare to Leia, Han, Luke, Chewbacca, and Vader. Once they were out of the picture, most of the humanity, warmth and humor went with them. I cared about SW mostly because I cared about what happened to those guys. Without them, who needs it?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Neither here nor there, but we had it on Betamax as well. All three of them. Still do actually, though I converted them to DVD a few years ago as Betamax tapes are nearing the end of their lifespan.

StarWarsGirl

You know, I'd be all for keeping Star Wars going if the prequels hadn't sucked giant North American beaver cojones, if I may be so blunt. Plus, the new SW characters are crappy compared to the originals. None of the new guys can compare to Leia, Han, Luke, Chewbacca, and Vader. Once they were out of the picture, most of the humanity, warmth and humor went with them. I cared about SW mostly because I cared about what happened to those guys. Without them, who needs it?
I liked Padme and Obi Wan, but you're right. They were nothing compared to the original characters.

I wish they had done more with Darth Maul because he was just scary and would have been good to keep around.

StarWarsGirl

Neither here nor there, but we had it on Betamax as well. All three of them. Still do actually, though I converted them to DVD a few years ago as Betamax tapes are nearing the end of their lifespan.
Ah, just another one of my grandmother's lies that I have now caught. This isn't unusual of her.

FigmentJedi

I liked Padme and Obi Wan, but you're right. They were nothing compared to the original characters.

I wish they had done more with Darth Maul because he was just scary and would have been good to keep around.
Go watch the later seasons of Clone Wars. They way they used Maul was pretty fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom