Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

BryceM

I've just read on OrlandoInformer that if you spend $50 at a giftcard you get a $10 Universal Giftcard!
Here is the direct quote from Orlando Informer: "Starting this month, the Universal parks have a new promotion in which any guest making a gift shop purchase over $50 will receive a $10 UO gift card. That is like getting a 20% discount on a $50 purchase -- not too shabby."

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Here is the direct quote from Orlando Informer: "Starting this month, the Universal parks have a new promotion in which any guest making a gift shop purchase over $50 will receive a $10 UO gift card. That is like getting a 20% discount on a $50 purchase -- not too shabby."

Better than Disney's spend $40 and you can purchase a $19 park fleece blanket.

EDIT: technically it's roughly a 16% discount because you get the card for $10. If with the card you purchase exactly $10 worth of stuff, you've gotten $60 of merch for $50. Still a good deal though.

WDW1974

Original Poster
It's another grey and drizzly day here in SoCal, so I'm staying in.

I miss those days. Seriously. Days like that would be either movie days ... or shopping down in the South Bay days ... or, yes, DLR days (because everyone is SoCal seems to stay in bed when it sprinkles out, let alone full on light rain).

But it's 80 and sunny here in paradise today. A good day to, perhaps, walk around the World Showcase Lagoon. Not so great for being indoors working.

And I'm letting this news about Kathy Franklin sink in. Your tipping us off to it @WDW1974 is very appreciated. It does make me chuckle to think how inter-connected these things can be. Los Angeles is a "company town", after all.

You are quite welcome. But I've had this knowledge for months and months now. To be fair, another Disney Spirited insider brought it to my attention. We've all been waiting for someone to point out the ties online either in real media, social media or on a fan forum like this ... and ... nothing.

With much of the NEXT GEN discussion turning non-sensical and technical when, make no mistake, Disney has not and has no intention (unless forced) of releasing all the technical aspects of what their tech can and/or will do, much of it seems like just a waste of time between those of us who question Disney and those who blindly believe in the inherent good and MAGIC of an $88 billion corporation.

So, it just seemed like the time was right. Perhaps, Al Lutz and the Miceage crew will take credit for this 'news' ... but it does raise some interesting questions about favors and the business.

Here's the full link to The Hollywood Reporter story on Mrs. Franklin's new gig with James Cameron to "build his brand". http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kathy-franklin-head-avatar-brand-220967

Mr. Franklin is the brain behind MyMagic+ and Mrs. Franklin is the brain behind Avatarland. I bet they're a fun couple to have at a dinner party. :rolleyes:

You'd wonder why Brooks Barnes hasn't written a piece on this 'power couple' ... They are, after all, largely responsible for $2 billion (maybe more down the road) in WDW investment. That is pretty impressive.

Hey, I bet The Disney Parks Blog will have a post on them soon ... right? You can see Bondie, Crazy Gary or Bland Tommy writing something like that, right?:D

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm going for 11% I don't think they ever raised an even number

That 11% number was the figure I was told over a year ago that Disney was hoping to increase in per guest spend after NEXT GEN was implimented. ... I have no idea how the requisite ticket increases (and restructuring because there is one coming) plays into that number.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Currently, it appears in the same "snail's pace" state as Burbank wants George to pick up the pace on this project.

George will have no impact on this project IF it ever happens. Much like with the DCA 2.0 project, he'll largely be working on the Ops end and how it will effect guests and cast and daily ops. George isn't a creative (in more ways than one) and that isn't his role.

WDW1974

Original Poster
On life support, but I do know that pressure is being put on Cameron from 20th century to move on the sequels ASAP, he's also got pressure from disney to finally decide on the final layout. From all things outside of lightstorm, the real avatar crusader is Iger. People on both sides of the fence have given up on the project. I would say if something doesn't happen by June then it's over, but at this point who really knows, you hear one thing tonight and tomorrow morning everyone's poops and giggles, and saying that its going to have the largest 3d 360 degree immersive simulator ever built and really pumped to build it. This project has been a huge weight on a lot of people, one example, they designed at least 15 attractions and only 2 have been considered. One posted here the other hasn't even gotten to true print stage

I really hope this is my last Avatar post for a long while, but I'd say you have to give them until October. Clearly, when they delayed moving Lion King, they did so to push any construction costs out of FY'13 and into '14.

But I would agree that the only 'force' driving this at Disney at all is Iger. ... Most others want to pretend it's all a bad dream.

Goofyernmost

Second, I'd like to address those that dismiss the child predator possibilities. All it takes is a couple of those animals that know each other, one that maybe works where they have access to the datacenter. They call (or IM, or email, whatever) their buddy, they grab a kid, do their thing with them and hold them for their buddy's use later. Next thing we hear is kidnapped or dead kid. Now, is this probable? No. Possible? Oh, definitely yes. That's just the first layer. Now, what if a weirdo is following a family around (not hard to do at such a crowded place without notice) because of a cute kid. They hear cast members call them by name a few times...hear and watch them pitch toys or plush to said kid - and lets say parents say no. Said weirdo goes and purchases one of whatever, and when the parents backs are turned, or they are distracted by...hmmm..- a DVC sales person calling them by name and trying to sell them on DVC?? - dirtbag shows up with toy, gives it to kid, and quickly runs off with the child. Ugly....

Wow, that just moved from the possible, but unlikely scenario to the "you've got to be kidding" category. Pedophiles work in groups now? Does the sun have to come up in the west that day as well? ANYTHING, is possible but very few things actually happen. I appreciate that the second might be possible (btw, how did that person get the last name of the child, did that happen to slip out too?) As far as the freak following a child in that park, I am a little concerned about how NextGen ties in with that. Very dramatic but lets go with likely scenario's instead of Steven King novels.

WDW1974

Original Poster
One final comment (for the lunch break/afternoon) on MyMagic+ but I would hope that most people here are capable of grasping the fact that Disney could put so much of this speculation (BRAND damaging speculation) to rest by fessing up and being honest about what they are planning and what (potentially or not) could be done with said tech.

They may want to release as little as possible and do it with a big media event and Mommy Bloggers and Lou drinking free MAGICal booze etc in six months or a year or whenever.

But the genie is out and he isn't going back.

People just want answers .... honesty ... transparency.

They aren't getting that. They are getting ignored. They are getting smoke and mirrors and social media subterfuge. And all that does is lead to endless speculation ... and from what I'm hearing, that speculation may even get worse due to a new 'wrinkle' ...

I really wish I were in O-Town this week ... or Burbank.

Wow, that just moved from the possible, but unlikely scenario to the "you've got to be kidding" category. Pedophiles work in groups now? Does the sun have to come up in the west that day as well? ANYTHING, is possible but very few things actually happen. I appreciate that the second might be possible (btw, how did that person get the last name of the child, did that happen to slip out too?) As far as the freak following a child in that park, I am a little concerned about how NextGen ties in with that. Very dramatic but lets go with likely scenario's instead of Steven King novels.

Reminds me of Tommy Boy:
"Well what I'm trying to say is how do you know this fairly isn't a crazy glue sniffer, build a model airplane he says well we're not buying it. He snuck into your house one time, that's all it takes, next thing you know your daughter's knocked up and there's money missing off your dresser, I've seen it a hundred times"

BlueSkyDriveBy

They aren't getting that. They are getting ignored. They are getting smoke and mirrors and social media subterfuge. And all that does is lead to endless speculation ... and from what I'm hearing, that speculation may even get worse due to a new 'wrinkle' ...
Why you little tease. What new wrinkle? :confused:

Bolna

One final comment (for the lunch break/afternoon) on MyMagic+ but I would hope that most people here are capable of grasping the fact that Disney could put so much of this speculation (BRAND damaging speculation) to rest by fessing up and being honest about what they are planning and what (potentially or not) could be done with said tech.

Yes, I have been wondering about this aspect as well. WHy isn't there more information coming out. There they create a tool for the planners and now all the planners who have trips booked in the near future are left hanging without knowing what is going to happen and when. I am sure there are a number of people going crazy about being scared of missing the start point for being able to book that precious TSM FP+.

The only reason I can come up with why there has been so little news since the first big announcement at the beginning of this year is that they really still don't know about the how and when.

And weirdly this just reminds me of the whole Avatar situation where we get an announcement and then silence. Perhaps that's what the Franklins consider smart marketing???

SirLink

They may want to release as little as possible and do it with a big media event and Mommy Bloggers and Lou drinking free MAGICal booze etc in six months or a year or whenever.

But the genie is out and he isn't going back.

I really wish I were in O-Town this week ... or Burbank.

Here here. We want them, or I do anyway saying we will be "tracking" guests when they "check in"(entering any man made structure on property) because we don't understand why our merch sales keep slipping and why people aren't satisfied with our theme parks...the easy answer is to walk the parks like the guests ... ask people -not candid surveys - but just shoot straight and surprisingly cheaper too ... but hey what do I know...I think my last trip to WDW may of been my last for a long time...

stlphil

Yes, I have been wondering about this aspect as well. WHy isn't there more information coming out. There they create a tool for the planners and now all the planners who have trips booked in the near future are left hanging without knowing what is going to happen and when. I am sure there are a number of people going crazy about being scared of missing the start point for being able to book that precious TSM FP+.

The only reason I can come up with why there has been so little news since the first big announcement at the beginning of this year is that they really still don't know about the how and when.

And weirdly this just reminds me of the whole Avatar situation where we get an announcement and then silence. Perhaps that's what the Franklins consider smart marketing???

And maybe they made the big announcement before they really wanted to?

One other possibility is that maybe if they did release the details that there are some aspects of this that they haven't yet figured out how to spin "warm and fuzzy" (or Magical).

Goofyernmost

He may be referring to the questions being asked by Congressman Markey. Orrr, he could be referring to what Jim Hill mentioned regarding some "glitches" they're working out with the software and scheduling.
I don't know if this is related or not but my sister just went to the Marathon with some girl friends. She had a nightmare dealing with reservations, credit limitations, names on the reservations and so on. She loves the place but felt that she spent way too much time trying to iron out all the problems, sometimes the same ones over and over.

PhotoDave219

I think what the masses dont understand is that our beefs are with the existing management culture and the way they run things. Its not about specific little things, its about major concepts and priorities that TWDC has here in Orlando.

All of us were against Eisner by the end of his run because of the management culture he created. When Iger took over, it was a bit of hope as some of our corporate alliances and partners were reestablished and bridges seemed to be mended. However, that corporate mindset has taken a much deeper root in the past five years.

In my eyes, I want the guests & guest experience to be the focus, rather than continued insane profits. (How much of a profit do you need, Disney?) The parks were started with the idea of a place that was for everyone, appealed to the masses and had something for everyone: The thrill rides for the big kids, the place where a child can first drive a car, the tame rides for those whom wish to just relax and take it easy, experiencing stories and sharing in a collective fun in its entirety.

Instead, its become something else based on the leadership culture that has decayed this company from within. This happy place was once great; perhaps with fresh blood coming to head Orlando that positive change could come.

So Its not about the paint pealing per say, its about that management not caring that the paint is pealing... so to speak.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom