Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

ParentsOf4

He may be referring to the questions being asked by Congressman Markey. Orrr, he could be referring to what Jim Hill mentioned regarding some "glitches" they're working out with the software and scheduling.
What? Software bugs? No such thing as software bugs!:D

No doubt, MyMagic+ has a Problem Report count in the thousands by now.;)

And Disney will be using this software to make your vacation magical? Can't wait!:rolleyes:

I guess the upside is it should keep more CMs employed longer. I wonder if they could use Iger's 20% pay raise to cover the cost of a couple of hundred extra CMs?

Longhairbear

What? Software bugs? No such thing as software bugs!:D

No doubt, MyMagic+ has a Problem Report count in the thousands by now.;)

And Disney will be using this software to make your vacation magical? Can't wait!:rolleyes:

I guess the upside is it should keep more CMs employed longer. I wonder if they could use Iger's 20% pay raise to cover the cost of a couple of hundred extra CMs?
Someone on another site just posted about the huge headache getting changes to a reservation, all because of software problems linking or not linking. Names on reservations erased, no ADR allowed etc. on club level reservations. This is with the current system. Can you imagine the mess when MM+ goes online?

Captain Chaos

Yep ... Iger be in one ed off mood (and, of course, as usual you can believe every word he says!)

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/disney-bob-iger-magicband-congressman-ed-markey-magicband-privacy/
And from Politco ...(I don't know why, but I enjoy it when Iger is unhappy!)

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/...k-at-markey-privacy-concerns-86828.html?hp=f3

Well that's the way you off a Congressman and guarantee a visit to testify before Congress on the Hill... under oath...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Loved the following comment on the Politico piece:

<<Wow - talk about verbal tap dancing. They indirectly admit that the information is collected, stored, and used, then try to confuse the issue by saying that the information is not stored "in the MagicBand" as though that somehow negated their admission that they collect, store, and use that location data.
And as a longtime internet marketer, I found the "for the purpose of providing better service" wording rather familiar. It is the same claim used by Google, Yahoo, and thousands of websites that collect your information and (directly or indirectly) provide it to advertisers who want to "target" you. After all... if you send an email to a friend (or get an email from a friend) saying something about golf, why wouldn't you want to be inundated with ads for golf clubs, courses, books, supplies, etc?
Sounds like the privacy concerns are not exactly unfounded.>>

WDW1974

Original Poster
Now, for some Spirited background from a rainy weekend in SoCal.

The letter that was 'written' by Bob Iger was put together along with in house counsel from the company, Tom Staggs and Zenia Mucha's input.

It was written in a defensive posture as if a corporation could be 'offended' and turned questions into 'accusations' (funny, that's what often happens on Disney discussion forums).

It was also written with Iger and Co knowing that other stories from mainstream media are in the works, including one from a major competitor.

And it was written from a position of weakness. Iger's 'emotions' (does he even have those?) seemed to have bubbled over into a professional letter to a respected member of Congress and instead of answering questions point by point in a conciliatory/respectful fashion designed to alay any and all concerns and put them to rest once and for all did the opposite.

To borrow The Weatherman's own words 'it's unfortunate and extremely disappointing' ... and this will only spur further inquiry and interest.

You played it all wrong, Bob. Yet again. And much like with Avatar, you're acting like a petultant little brat (albeit one who has earned $110 million the last 36 months give or take a few million) that is going to have his way his way no matter what.

But there's more to the story ... and I hope to be able to release it in the next day or so.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yep ... Iger be in one ed off mood (and, of course, as usual you can believe every word he says!)

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/disney-bob-iger-magicband-congressman-ed-markey-magicband-privacy/

He said 'check yourself before you wreck yourself!'

Way stronger worded than I would expect.

However, the links (tho there are typos in the deadline.com article) point to a policy that makes it clear there is opt-out for all the data sharing, and that marketing is OPT-IN. This seems counter to your earlier claims..

How is information collected through your use of RF Devices used?

The information we collect through your use of the RF Device allows us to provide you with personalized information and tailored experiences based on the activities you requested or are engaging in and your location in Walt Disney Parks and Resorts locations.

If you signed up to receive “Offers and Tips” through the My Vacations Notifications feature on the My Disney Experience website or mobile app, we may use information collected through your use of the RF Device to fulfill your request.

We may also use the information we collect through your use of the RF Device to send you information about products and services that we think may be of interest to you.

In addition, information we collect through your use of the RF Device will allow us to improve our overall products and services, such as managing wait times and improving traffic flow.
[...]
How is information collected through your use of the RF Devices shared?

We may share information about your experiences at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts locations with other members of the Walt Disney Family of Companies.

However, information about your specific Park Experience collected automatically through your use of the RF Device as described above will not be shared with other members of the Walt Disney Family of Companies to use for marketing purposes unless you elect that we do so.

We will only share information about you that is automatically collected through your use of the RF Device with third-parties for their marketing uses if you elect that we do so.
[...]
What choices are available regarding information collected through your use of RF Devices?

If you signed up to receive “Offers and Tips" through the My Vacation Notifications feature on the My Disney Experience website or mobile app, you can access your online account at any time to change your preferences, or just follow the instructions provided in the communications you receive.

If we use information collected through your use of the RF Devices to send you information regarding products and services that we think may be of interest to you via email, we will provide a mechanism in those communications for you to opt out of receiving those communications.

dhall

I've been on the internet too long -- the way I read it, Iger's upset that anyone believes that Disney would introduce a program that manipulates children "haphazardly or recklessly".

"Disney does not use personal information to market to children". Every time I see that line quoted, the preposition jumps out at me as the obvious weakness.

ParentsOf4

The position has to be determined externally by triangulation or most recent activity. The device itself does not know where it is and cannot broadcast it's position.
Hot off the press, quoting from Iger's written response to Rep. Markey's letter:

“The MagicBand is not GPS-based and does not enable collection of continuous location signals. The long-range readers which detect the MagicBands will be in specific locations for the purpose of providing better service to our guests.”

As completely expected based on the FCC filings, MagicBands+ permit tracking but not on a "continuous location" basis. Gotta love the round-about "yes" answer to "Can Disney track you?":) Again, this is consistent with the technology being employed in MagicBands v1.0. Can't wait for them to upgrade the technology in a few years. I'm already expecting to read that response: "We've been tracking our guests for years. The new technology allows us to track them with even greater accuracy to provide them with an even more magical vacation.":rolleyes:

Furthermore, Disney confirms that there are "long-range readers". No need to walk through a doorway or ride entrance where they might have installed short-range readers. They've got you covered at distance.:eek:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
or to put it in tech terms...

He said.. RTFM! hehe

Seems like Disney isn't scared of a fight here... mindboggling kind of.

Looks like a political move to me. He pushes hard enough to get summoned to the hill to testify in front of congress. Goes, likely does well, gets some publicity of a political nature. When he decides to run for office gets to run as an outsider that has battled a congress that is less popular then a case of the Ebola virus.

Funmeister

NEW ATTRACTION?

They are building a huge theater where all guests will sit in stadium seating letting the signal from their MyMagic+ wristband experience all of the shows and attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom